Samsung vows to keep fighting Apple in memo to employees

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

This is off topic. Is anyone else having trouble browsing the mobile version of this site on iOS?

Recently it just displays a blank page when you click on a post.

I'm union iPhone 4S, iOS 5x, mobile safari.

Me, too. The new forum software is a disaster on IOS. I don't love it on OSX either but on IOS its useless. I spend more time on other sites now as a result. Why on earth would AI use a CMS and forum software package that works so badly for the specific community it serves? 

• Reply 42 of 76
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    [quote]"History has shown there has yet to be a company that has won the hearts and minds of consumers and achieved continuous growth, when its primary means to competition has been the outright abuse of patent law, not the pursuit of innovation.

We trust that the consumers and the market will side with those who prioritize innovation over litigation, and we will prove this beyond doubt."[/quote]

I can't believe they have the audacity to say this publicly after we all got to see the court evidence. Even Apple's side were surprised at some of the evidence that came to light.

If they won't even accept their guilt in the face of so much evidence, it shows that they truly believe what they did wasn't wrong and they'll most likely do it again. The sooner Apple can cut ties with them altogether, the better.

They go on about innovation but what advancements has the Galaxy line brought to smartphones or tablets that the iPhone/iPad didn't before them?
  • Reply 43 of 76

It's "memos to employees" that sealed Samsung's fate in this trial in the first place lol.

• Reply 44 of 76
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Samsung's new "Rolex"... 

• Reply 45 of 76
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member

It's sad we live in a time when admitting fault is considered by many as a sign of weakness, where the opposite is actually true.  There's also a contingent of people who somehow think it's okay for one person's hard work to be co-opted for 'everyone's' benefit.

Ripping off other companies is so engrained in Samsung's corporate culture, I don't know if they're capable of acknowledging their behavior for what it is, accepting the consequences, and modifying their practices going forward.

• Reply 46 of 76
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member

Hey Samsung how about this approach. "Although we are disappointed in the ruling on this trial we have been hard at work this past year creating fantastic products that go beyond anything you will see coming from Apple. We hope our loyal customers will share our enthusiasm with our coming release of products."

It's would not be true but what does truth have to do with their business model. 

• Reply 47 of 76
    flabber wrote: »
    I'm a bit baffled on why Samsung is confusing innovation with copying. There's nothing wrong (in my mind at least) with using ideas of someone else to spark your own innovation, and even using a similar material (like glass on the back, rounded corners or whatever) to a degree. But when your products are starting to look like 1-on-1 copies (just look at the charger's connector and shape for example), it's not simply using and adjusting someone else's ideas to fit your own innovation, but it's plain copying.

It's either very arrogant or ignorant of Samsung, and I'm quite happy that they lost. I think they do have great products for consumers (I love their TV's for example), but the Asian market in general has a very high "you do things right so I'll do the same" viewpoint on things. To even state that it will stiffle innovation is a clear sign to me that they have no idea what they're talking about. Nokia's Lumia phone is, although not my personal taste, a great and different looking phone… there are plenty of ways to design/create a unique phone, as long as you put the effort and research in it to come to an end result in your own way.

Bah, I really dislike arrogant and/or ignorant companies who cry and call companies mean when they've been found out.

Well said and I would add the baffling reaction by the android fanboys.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    trblzr wrote: »
    Samsung's 'pursuit of innovation' method is to go after (pursue) and copy Apple's innovation.

Going forward, Samsung should paraphrase Lexus' motto and claim it to be its own: "In pursuit of Excellent Copying".
  • Reply 49 of 76
    kikkokikko Posts: 40member

Samsung is a company that consists of nothing more than hooligans and thugs. Samscum has only been in the business for a short time compared to their Asian counterpart Japan, and yet they've already received the most corrupt company in Asia award.

• Reply 50 of 76
    megamega Posts: 16member

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Samsung keeps using the word "innovation", right after being found guilty of copying other companies' products. I think that word doesn't mean what they think it does.

Copying is korean for innovation ... in Samsung's Translation Engine. 

• Reply 51 of 76
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

I cannot imagine Samsung 'appealing' to anyone.

• Reply 52 of 76

In the mid '80s Samsung started their journey from being primarily an OEM shop to so called "brand name" by copying Sony... They've simply gotten more brazen over the years... I remember reading a PR puff piece in Fortune magazine on how they were going to change their product lines to be unique and the next CE year was startled at CES to see how much they resembled Sony products of the time. But since Sony had some hardware advantages like the Trinitron tube Samsung TV's were lacking in performance....

• Reply 53 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Why on earth would AI use a CMS and forum software package that works so badly for the specific community it serves? 

This forum software gets better news search engine hits due to the URL structure, html <title> and <meta> description which are specific and detailed for the thread topic. The old software only used id=### to identify the page. Better search engine indexing means more advertising money. Mo' Money = better.

• Reply 54 of 76

Reminds me of a song...

I've been caught stealing; 

once when I was 5... 

I enjoy stealing. 

It's just as simple as that.

Well, it's just a simple fact. 

When I want something,

I don't want to pay for it.

• Reply 55 of 76
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Samsung's statement to employees notes that a final ruling from the judge still remains, along with other "procedures."

That's absolutely true.

We're still waiting for the judge to consider a Rule 50 order which would include the Tab in the damages - increasing the number substantially.

We're still waiting for the judge to consider whether to treble damages - since the jury found that the infringement was willful.

We're still waiting for the judge to extend the injunction to all the other products that are infringing.

We're still waiting for all the other suits against Samsung where Apple is going after their newer products - but now have legal precedent on their side.

The "other procedures" could be very expensive for Samsung.
  • Reply 56 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestrada View Post

...'Samsung said it was "disappointed" to have been found guilty of patent infringement...'

Notice that it says 'dissappointed' but not 'surprised'.  You can't hide the obvious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trblzr View Post

Samsung's 'pursuit of innovation' method is to go after (pursue) and copy Apple's innovation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post

They are innovative copiers.  Bazinga.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Lam View Post

Samsung's management is really a joke.   I don't think they can survive without heavy government subsidies.

Wow. Nice to see some great first-time posts (and posters) here! Welcome, guys.

• Reply 57 of 76
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post

They are innovative copiers.  Bazinga.

And that should send a warning flag up the pole for any potential new clients. "Trust" is no longer an issue when a component is contracted with Samsung. That's going to make alternative companies more attractive for many.

• Reply 58 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Idiotic remark. Their stock is still up 5% compared to the day before the trial started.

I am sure it must be up 500% compared to the day before Apple was incorporated.? What's your point? That no other events of significance have transpired in this company's life?

FYI, here's the daily %changes in Samsung's stock price (since the matter went to the jury):

Aug 21: ?0.08%

Aug 22: ?1.40%

Aug 23: +1.82%

Aug 24: ?0.93%

Aug 27: ?7.45%

You do the math.

• Reply 59 of 76
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This forum software gets better news search engine hits due to the URL structure, html <title> and <meta> description which are specific and detailed for the thread topic. The old software only used id=### to identify the page. Better search engine indexing means more advertising money. Mo' Money = better.

That seems like a shortsighted approach. Either AI should modify the CMS or else I am guessing people will drift away as it is such a pita to use. Didn't they do any testing at all? Now I can't read any article on my iPhone, and when i could it was such a pain it just wasn't worth it, scrolling left and right for each line. And the spell check.... 

• Reply 60 of 76
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Me, too. The new forum software is a disaster on IOS. I don't love it on OSX either but on IOS its useless. I spend more time on other sites now as a result. Why on earth would AI use a CMS and forum software package that works so badly for the specific community it serves? 

I completely agree... Ever since they switched I dont read the comment section because it is not easy to navigate on my iPhone...  It is really a shame...,