Two Apple execs promoted to SVP status, Bob Mansfield to continue work after retirement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Monday announced engineering vice presidents Craig Federighi and Dan Riccio will be joining the company's Executive Team as senior vice presidents, while newly retired Mac hardware chief Bob Mansfield will continue to work with the company on new products.

With the new promotions, engineering vice presidents Federighi and Riccio will report directly to Apple CEO Tim Cook and serve on the company's executive management team. Mansfield, who announced his departure June, is expected to stay with Apple to work on "future products," and will also report to Cook.

As senior vice president of Mac Software Engineering, Federighi will be responsible for Mac OS X development as well as Apple's common operating system engineering teams. After working at NeXT and subsequently Apple, Federighi spent time at Ariba, holding a number of positions including vice president of Internet Services and chieft technology officer. He came back to Apple in 2009 as a lead engineer on Mac OS X.

Craig Federighi
Apple Senior Vice President of Mac Software Engineering Craig Federighi. | Source: Apple

Riccio, as senior vice president of Hardware Engineering, will take on responsibility for the Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod engineering teams. After joining Apple in 1998 as vice president of Product Design, Riccio has been involved in the iPad product line since the first generation tablet launched in 2010.

Dan Riccio
Apple Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering Dan Riccio. | Source: Apple

Little information was given regarding Mansfield's future duties, but the former Senior Vice President of Hardware Design is thought to be taking on a new role at Apple, perhaps as an advisor to Cook or the design team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20

Fabulous !!

• Reply 2 of 20
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Little information was given regarding Mansfield's future duties, but the former Senior Vice President of Hardware Design is thought to be taking on a new role at Apple, perhaps as an advisor to Cook or the design team.

Just curious what AI is basing this on? There's nothing in Apple's press release that indicated what he will be doing.

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that someone would announce their retirement and then a month or two later sa they're not retiring after all? I suppose he could have changed his mind but why announce a retirement? Why not say he's moving into a new role working on special projects or something? Seems odd.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Proofreading please. Misspellings, missing words and bad links! Let's not do sloppy journalism just to be first to report!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Could we say this is good news for iMacs or Mac Pro? Or maybe evidence they're working on a TV? Would they need Mansfield to stay on for an ATV set top box?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

The Bob Mansfield stuff is weird.  To the bottom, it must be gotten of.

• Reply 6 of 20
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

The Bob Mansfield stuff is weird.  To the bottom, it must be gotten of.

Not weird, just a clear message Bob is in charge of special projects for future products.

• Reply 7 of 20
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Craig deserves it. Mountain Lion is a pretty brilliant OS. OS X has never been better.

Not sure about Mansfield's future, but the guy doing iPad hardware is replacing him (smart idea), and he was one of Mansfield's key people *anyway*. Further, Riccio has been with Apple since *before* Bob started. So he's seen it all. 

So far, so good. 

• Reply 8 of 20
    rogifan wrote: »
    Just curious what AI is basing this on? There's nothing in Apple's press release that indicated what he will be doing.
    Doesn't it seem a bit odd that someone would announce their retirement and then a month or two later sa they're not retiring after all? I suppose he could have changed his mind but why announce a retirement? Why not say he's moving into a new role working on special projects or something? Seems odd.

Maybe they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    When I've seen Bob Mansfield at an Apple presentation I can't help but think that he didn't get to his position from an over abundance of charisma. Which is good, and also leads me to think he must be pretty damn good at what he does. If he is then Apple should try to keep him around in some capacity if they can. For as few products as they make, they do have a lot on their plate and I would think getting what you can out of his experience is a good idea.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Glad to hear Bob is staying involved at Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I think Bob will be overseeing R&D.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I wonder exactly how product development works with Hardware Engineering and Industrial Design both reporting to the CEO? I'm guessing at most companies the designers would report up through the hardware guys. I'm wondering who ultimately makes certain decisions or if one gets to overrule the other. I've hesrd rumors that the designers and engineers don't always see eye to eye as sometimes what the designers want is difficult to engineer,
  • Reply 13 of 20
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    bigdaddyp wrote: »
    Maybe they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Retiring as a SVP isn't the same as retiring in general.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wonder exactly how product development works with Hardware Engineering and Industrial Design both reporting to the CEO? I'm guessing at most companies the designers would report up through the hardware guys. I'm wondering who ultimately makes certain decisions or if one gets to overrule the other. I've hesrd rumors that the designers and engineers don't always see eye to eye as sometimes what the designers want is difficult to engineer,

People like challenges, if NOT hardly ail they‘ll be good career designers/engineers.

Yr part in red refers to badly run companies. Those people work should compliment eachOther.

• Reply 15 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

He could be putting in 50 hours a week (unlikely) or as little as  2-4 hours of work a week (more likely) and still have an amazing impact. It would make sense that given his apparent loyalty to Apple and his institutional and industry hardware knowledge, they'd need him at least in some transitional advisory role. And he'd get big bucks for it.

• Reply 16 of 20
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Sounds like two good promotions that will continue the success of Apple's product line for the foreseeable future.  Good job Tim!

• Reply 17 of 20

Perhaps Mansfield is staying on in some capacity to get his stock options to be more valuable.

Remove Riccio's hair and put him in a Star Trek uniform and he would be a younger Jean Luc Picard. What do you think?

Make it so.

• Reply 18 of 20
    charlituna wrote: »
    Retiring as a SVP isn't the same as retiring in general.

Sorry, my humor does not always translate well into my writing.
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/an-offer-he-cant-refuse.html
  • Reply 19 of 20

The fact that Mansfield said he was retiring and then didn't is, to me, a very positive one.

With the money his stocks / options are giving him, I'm thinking he isn't going to be lured back to work with compensation. More likely, there is some compelling work being laid out for him. Samsung should be worried... Apple is about to innovate ... again.

• Reply 20 of 20

I'm only a casual user & not a developer or professional user, but glad to see that Craig Federighi & Dan Riccio are getting promoted.

I wonder if Bob Mansfield will be completing his roles on the projects in the pipeline, then moving into a part-time / semi-retirement advisory role.

Guess time will tell.