San Francisco police fire gun, close school in chase to recover stolen iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Police tracked a stolen iPhone in San Francisco to what appeared to be a smartphone theft ring, firing a shot at suspects and briefly locking down an elementary school along the way.

According to a report by the San Francisco Chronicle, the chase began in 6:30 am when two armed robbers stole an iPhone from an individual on the street in Ocean View.

Police tracked the iPhone to Noe Valley, apparently using Apple's iCloud "Find My iPhone" feature. Upon seeing the officers, the suspects ran, with one attempting to jump a fence into St. Paul's Catholic Church near 29th Street, which is connected to an elementary school.

Police secured the school for about a half hour, just as students were beginning to arrive. The suspect attempting to jump a gate into the church's school campus turned toward police with his hand concealed, resulting in one officer discharging her weapon.

The shot missed and the suspect got away, but police were able to apprehend a second suspect nearby on Church Street, and then tracked the stolen phone to a car about three miles away on the other side of Twin Peaks near Seventh Avenue in the Sunset District.

There, they found a third suspect inside the car and a fourth hiding in the trunk, along with "other allegedly stolen smartphones."

Police then looked up the car's registration to a nearby home, where they detained two additional suspects.

Smartphone thefts in San Francisco have become routine and increasingly involve holdups, often with thieves brandishing weapons. So far, Apple and its carrier partners have done little to make it difficult to use stolen phones, resulting in large market for stolen devices.

However, the company's free iCloud tracking system had helped many users to recover their devices, although it is not difficult for thieves to deactivate the tracking feature, something several bloggers have recommended the company address by at least requiring a password to shut down a stolen phone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68

It seems a little crazy that all this would come from a stolen iPhone, but lets keep in mind:

1) An armed robbery took place.

2) The suspect appeared to pull a weapon at a police officer.

3) There is an organized ring of smartphone thieves in San Francisco.

Of course, no gadget is worth a person's life. But as a resident of the Bay Area, I would love for these thieves to be taken down (and/or their organization).

• Reply 2 of 68

This is not apple news!

• Reply 3 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

This is not apple news!

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

…a stolen iPhone…

…stole an iPhone… 

…tracked the iPhone… …using Apple's iCloud "Find My iPhone" feature.

…the company's free iCloud tracking system… 

• Reply 4 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ny3ranger wrote: »
    This is not apple news!

Agreed. AI will be on sale at the check out next!
  • Reply 5 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It seems a little crazy that all this would come in mind from a stolen iPhone, but lets keep in mind:

1) An armed robbery took place.

2) The suspect appeared to pull a weapon at a police officer.

3) There is an organized ring of smartphone thieves in San Francisco.

Of course, no gadget is worth a person's life. But as a resident of the Bay Area, I would love for these thieves to be taken down (and/or their organization).

The armed robbery was the kicker. These individuals were clearly very dangerous.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It's a darn shame that the police woman missed. It would have sent a good message to any other Apple thieves out there. Steal a phone and you just might end up dead! Apple devices are the hottest items out there, and thieves are always on the lookout for Apple devices.

And I find it weird that the app on my iPad is called "find iPhone", as it can be used to find any iOS device. That app has been responsible for recovering many stolen Apple devices, but I agree with the end of the article, and Apple should make it even more secure, with less chance for the thieves to deactivate the feature.

• Reply 7 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Sensationalism with an Apple connection.
  • Reply 8 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Of course, no gadget is worth a person's life. 

I disagree. A person should be able to shoot and kill a robber in order to protect their property and also their own lives. The life of a victim is worth more than the life of a thug.

• Reply 9 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sensationalism with an Apple connection.

I'd say it's a 'raise your eyebrows over the newspaper for a moment before returning to your business' story, nothing particularly astonishing.

????

They've reported stories like this before without this ruckus.

• Reply 10 of 68
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

Quote:

along with martians, flying saucers and big foot. can't wait!

• Reply 11 of 68
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    AppleII wrote: »
    I disagree. A person should be able to shoot and kill a robber in order to protect their property and also their own lives. The life of a victim is worth more than the life of a thug.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to try to increase opportunity and social mobility, so we don't have to incarcerate or kill so many thugs. Same thing with terrorism. The first defence should be to stop creating so many enemies.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Police tracked a stolen iPhone in San Francisco to what appeared to be a smartphone theft ring, firing a shot at suspects and briefly locking down a elementary school along the way.

What does, 'locking down a elementary school' mean?

Do you mean, 'locking down AN elementary school'?

• Reply 13 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Perhaps it would be a good idea to try to increase opportunity and social mobility, so we don't have to incarcerate or kill so many thugs. Same thing with terrorism. The first defence should be to stop creating so many enemies.

I have to disagree with your hypothesis about why certain bad people are bad, especially concerning terrorists. 

• Reply 14 of 68

Quote:

Sounds good to me! I'd rather read about Apple news when standing in line, waiting to pay for my groceries, instead of seeing the usual crap that they have there.

• Reply 15 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

What does, 'locking down a elementary school' mean?

Do you mean, 'locking down AN elementary school'?

Alright, you obviously know what it means. DED is not that bad.

• Reply 16 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

But it really has absolutely nothing to do with Apple or Apple products. It could just as easily have been gold coins, a diamond ring or a stack of bearer bonds (except, of course, those are harder to track). The type of stolen merchandise really isn't important.
  • Reply 17 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The type of stolen merchandise really isn't important.

I think that it is very relevant, as Apple device theft is out of control! Does anybody even bother to steal Android phones? Even lowlife thieves don't want that crap!

40% of our thefts are Apple products

NYC Police Commissioner Ray Kelly in Aspen, Colorado

• Reply 18 of 68
    stepssteps Posts: 11member

These are the points in this article that are Apple related and not sensational, and valid to debate/discuss!

1. "Apple and its carrier partners have done little to make it difficult to use stolen phones, resulting in large market for stolen devices"

Apple and it's partners could do some significant things in this area such as create a database of stolen cellphones. This might be ongoing, I don't recall....

2. "The company's free iCloud tracking system had helped many users to recover their devices, although it is not difficult for thieves to deactivate the tracking feature, something several bloggers have recommended the company address by at least requiring a password to shut down a stolen phone.

Easy and worthwhile in my opinion to have a password to shutdown your device - comments?

• Reply 19 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Same thing with terrorism. 

Pure nonsense. Stop spreading junk.

I dare you to how me one (even semi-credible) study (even remotely) linking social/economic mobility to terrorism.

(Even if there was, they should be treated for what/who they are as judged by their actions.)

• Reply 20 of 68
    How dumb are these thiefs? Surely any thief with common sense would turn off the phone, ditch the SIM Card and use the iPhones hidden reset feature with a computer at an Internet cafe. This would disable all tracking features since No SIM Card = No Network = No Tracking & a reset wipes all data including Apple IDs and the Computer that is usually synced with. Internet cafe helps to avoid any IP tracking issues. iPhone is then fully sellable. Simple!