San Francisco police fire gun, close school in chase to recover stolen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    [QUOTE]
    2. "The company's free iCloud tracking system had helped many users to recover their devices, although it is not difficult for thieves to deactivate the tracking feature, something several bloggers have recommended the company address by at least requiring a password to shut down a stolen phone.
    Easy and worthwhile in my opinion to have a password to shutdown your device - comments?[/QUOTE]

There's probably legal issues with this. There are scenarios where a phone must be turned off (the FAA comes to mind.) if someone gets kicked off a plane because they can't shut off their phone, does Apple get sued?
  • Reply 22 of 68

What I learned about stealing iPhones.

1. Disable all network connectivity.

2. Don't hide your hand from a cop.

3. ????

4. Profit!!!

Thanks for the How to steal an iPhone AppleInsider! ;)

• Reply 23 of 68
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DynamicAppleFan256 View Post

How dumb are these thiefs? 

If by thiefs, you mean thieves, then I can safely venture to guess that the majority of them are indeed very dumb. For starters, somebody resorting to a desperate measure such as stealing is pretty dumb, especially when you consider the risks/rewards. There might be a few of them who are computer savvy, but most of them are probably dumbasses and lowlifes who will eventually get what's coming to them.

• Reply 24 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I dare you to how me one (even semi-credible) study (even remotely) linking social/economic mobility to terrorism.

I dare say that the exact opposite is true in many cases. Though I have come across people who do try and push the poverty theory, even though it's completely false.

• Reply 25 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    B
    cgj wrote: »
    What does, 'locking down a elementary school' mean?

Do you mean, 'locking down AN elementary school'?

Ironic error when you think about it ... Lol
  • Reply 26 of 68
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Aha!! The Find my iPhone software caused this violent confrontation - what does Tim Cook have to say for this tragedy?!

• Reply 27 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

*oops I misread what you wrote. But leaving my post for anyone who didn't understand*

Ah, the unique language of the US.

Some explanation for our A.I. buddies overseas :)

Since "active shooter" incidents have become more common (not one-off shootings, but an incident where a shooter continues to fire at people), many schools these days have "lockdown" procedures. A lockdown is basically where no one is allowed into our out of the campus. Classrooms lock their doors, kids get down the ground, shades are drawn, and everyone stays silent. 

It's often used when something dangerous is happening nearby, even if the school itself is not the target. 

• Reply 28 of 68
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Recovering an iPhone?

Not worth it.

• Reply 29 of 68
    rodentrodent Posts: 49member
    Apple really don't care about their customers otherwise they would have a program to brick a stolen phone and make it useless. I understand in Austrailia there is a program to do just that. Their needs to be cooperation between cellphone sellers and cell service providers to protect their customers.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    When I first saw the headline, I jumped to the wrong conclusion. My first thought was that it was the new iPhone and involved a bar and Gizmodo.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

*oops I misread what you wrote. But leaving my post for anyone who didn't understand*

Ah, the unique language of the US.

Some explanation for our A.I. buddies overseas :)

Since "active shooter" incidents have become more common (not one-off shootings, but an incident where a shooter continues to fire at people), many schools these days have "lockdown" procedures. A lockdown is basically where no one is allowed into our out of the campus. Classrooms lock their doors, kids get down the ground, shades are drawn, and everyone stays silent. 

It's often used when something dangerous is happening nearby, even if the school itself is not the target. 

Haha - my apologies. Being someone who has worked in the Palace of Westminster (British Parliament), I've become familiar with lockdown procedures. It's a shame they never locked it down while I was there, because it would have meant something good (like the Queen visiting, or something :D). 

But yes, I was correcting the grammar. Like DigitalClips said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

B

Ironic error when you think about it ... Lol

• Reply 32 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Recovering an iPhone?

Not worth it.

I believe that you need some new material, and I dare say that I am disappointed in the lack of effort and thought that went behind your post. The quality of Fandroids and trolls on this forum has been steadily declining ever since the devastating Samsung smackdown recently. Some of them are probably too ashamed to come around, while others have been put on suicide watch.

• Reply 33 of 68
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Waiting for the reports of copycat crimes nabbing Samsungs...
  • Reply 34 of 68
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I believe that you need some new material, and I dare say that I am disappointed in the lack of effort and thought that went behind your post. The quality of Fandroids and trolls on this forum has been steadily declining ever since the devastating Samsung smackdown recently. Some of them are probably too ashamed to come around, while others have been put on suicide watch.

I'd shoot him to recover one... ;-)

Wait until the new iPhone comes out. The news headlines will read:

NEW JACKS STEAL IPHONES WITH NEW JACK-CONNECTORS.

• Reply 35 of 68
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Recovering an iPhone?

No.

Chasing armed robbers.

Or would you rather have the cops say, "Oh. Even though they pulled a gun on you, it's only an iPhone. So it's okay. Don't worry about it."

• Reply 36 of 68
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

iPhones should have built in secret taser's on them so if police are chasing some one over an iPhone they can remote activate it and shut the stupid one down.

• Reply 37 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

It means police wouldn't allow unauthorized apps to run inside the elementary school.

• Reply 38 of 68

Quote:

Recovering an iPhone?

Not worth it.

Glad to see you condone criminal activity.

• Reply 39 of 68
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It means police wouldn't allow unauthorized apps to run inside the elementary school.

and all the kids had to stay in the sandbox?

• Reply 40 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Glad to see you condone criminal activity.

I'm a law-and-order guy myself (not talking about the TV show), but to have an officer's sidearm fired over a stolen phone (and ensuing school lockdown) is just a crazy escalation. I'm glad that they found these guys and might be able to find some leads through this. And I'm not second-guessing the officer either. But the situation seemed to have gotten out of control in a hurry.