San Francisco police fire gun, close school in chase to recover stolen iPhone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    bizzlebizzle Posts: 66member

Perhaps there is room for a third party vendor to step in here with some kind of key device that plugs into the USB port and encrypts restorations.

One doesn't necessarily need to prevent turning the phone off if one can prevent restoring the phone to a stock or custom firmware.

Of course these are all elaborate schemes when by far the easiest would have been for AT&T to retain EMEI numbers of their customers' stolen phones and run new customers' devices against the database.

Especially when AT&T was the only game in town. While there are ways to change hardware ID's, flash firmwares, and alter EMEIs, or even simply shipping a device across the ocean, the fact remains that reducing the ease at which stolen devices could be recycled would have drastically reduced overall theft.

• Reply 62 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bolskevite wrote: »
    I had something similar happen to me two weeks ago here in Chicago. I was at a coffee shop minding my own business with my iPhone sitting on the table. Two guys game into the store and walked over to me asking for money and shoving papers in my face and being obnoxious. I kept telling them to leave and eventually they did, and about 30sec later I realized my iPhone was gone. I ran outside to chase them and they were already in a getaway car speeding down the street. I used Find my iPhone and had the phone immediately wiped and bricked. I could have tracked it but I have so much work stuff on there it wasn't worth the risk. Luckily after a lot of back and forth AT&T allowed me to get another phone at upgrade price even though I have another year on my contract. Just got it today.

I hope you've learned not to leave your phone lying around in the future.
  • Reply 63 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Where is "down here"? Defense of property laws depend on the state and the situation. In some states (think Texas), the rules are quite a bit looser. Here's the info for TX:

http://www.self-defender.net/law3.htm

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect his property to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during the nighttime, and he reasonably believes that the property cannot be protected by any other means."

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to pervent the other who is fleeing after committing burglary, robbery, or theft during the nighttime, from escaping with the property and he reasonable believes that the property cannot be recovered by any other means; or, the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the property would expose him or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury. (Nighttime is defined as the period 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.)"

Heck, in TX, you can legally shoot someone in the back even if they're fleeing under some circumstances.

Down here is Texas. And you're right, but you have to watch those qualifiers. (see bolded phrases above)

Quote:

But, again, that's not what was involved here. The police fired a weapon not because of the theft of property but because they thought the person was pulling a weapon on them.

I understand that, but I was not really talking to the specific situation.  Though that does remind me of a funny situation a few years ago, a local policeman pulled his gun on a man naked in public - I wonder where he thought he was concealing his weapon?

• Reply 64 of 68
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Down here is Texas. And you're right, but you have to watch those qualifiers. (see bolded phrases above)

I understand that, but I was not really talking to the specific situation.  Though that does remind me of a funny situation a few years ago, a local policeman pulled his gun on a man naked in public - I wonder where he thought he was concealing his weapon?
    That happens here in Portland Oregon as well. Only the police have a bad reputation for shooting said naked person as well.
  • Reply 65 of 68

Yes, there are obviously qualifiers. Even in Texas, you can't walk out on the street and shoot someone for walking too close to your parked car.

But you said:
    "Sorry you can't shoot someone down here just to protect your property."
    I was pointing out that under some circumstances, you CAN.
  • Reply 66 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's a darn shame that the police woman missed. It would have sent a good message to any other Apple thieves out there. Steal a phone and you just might end up dead! Apple devices are the hottest items out there, and thieves are always on the lookout for Apple devices.

REALLY?

Oh BTW, I love how AI talks about Find My iPhone as if it were the only of its kind in the industry.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/basics/find-a-lost-phone.aspx

• Reply 67 of 68
    lukeskymac wrote: »
    REALLY?

Oh BTW, I love how AI talks about Find My iPhone as if it were the only of its kind in the industry.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/basics/find-a-lost-phone.aspx

Sure. But since no one would ever want to steal a Windows phone, that's largely irrelevant.
  • Reply 68 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

REALLY?

U mad bro?