Genius training manual details banned words for Apple employees

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Not to be outdone, Sammy released it's own training manual. Sadly it's a copy of the actual Apple manual with "Samsung" written over the Apple logo with a sharpie.

• Reply 22 of 70
    boga3boga3 Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

How to tell when you're dating an Apple genius. He or she starts conversations with: "Maybe we can stop-responding-out some time."

5 Popular lines to us when breaking up or picking a fight to break up with that same Apple Genius :

1. "yeah, I'm not all all looking for a relationship right now. I am really trying to build up my social network of friends right now and I'm sooo glad I met you!

2. "I just don't feel that there is enough room in your life for me, Siri and Apple blog trolling"

3. "I don't think it's ok to recite lines from Steve Jobs (the book) during our intimate times"

4. "It's not you, it's me. But mostly you!"

5. "I secretly think Apple should make their iOS Free. What do you think?"

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 23 of 70
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Another amazing scoop from Gizmodo - zzzzzzzzzzz

• Reply 24 of 70
    All this will be irrelevant once Cook and Browett get rid of all that pesky "customer satisfaction." No need to be helpful once the mark has handed over the cash.
  • Reply 25 of 70

Somewhere Samsung is updating their training manual with new unique details.

• Reply 26 of 70
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Banning the use of commonly used and understood terms, such as crash and bug is beyond moronic. Imagine if a doctor did that - sorry you have lung canc... oh I mean, your lungs have stopped responding.

Plain language is incredibly important, and to deliberately avoid using it is disingenuous to say the least.

• Reply 27 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

All this will be irrelevant once Cook and Browett get rid of all that pesky "customer satisfaction." No need to be helpful once the mark has handed over the cash.

Oi. Don't drag Cook into that unless we've proof of it. It's all on Browett, last I checked.

• Reply 28 of 70
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Banning the use of commonly used and understood terms, such as crash and bug is beyond moronic. Imagine if a doctor did that - sorry you have lung canc... oh I mean, your lungs have stopped responding.

Plain language is incredibly important, and to deliberately avoid using it is disingenuous to say the least.

Banning the use of IMPRECISE language is the idea.  What does "Crash" mean?  Kernel panic?  Did an application unexpectedly quit?  Or just stop responding?  The whole computer or just one application?  I could go on.  Avoiding common, highly-vague terms helps focus in on the problem faster - and that's good for the customer and the genius.

• Reply 29 of 70

is this so wrong of me?

having read this article, now all I want to do is go to my nerest Apple Store and see how many 'forbidden' words I can get the staff to utter.....I'll be back with the results image

• Reply 30 of 70

Standard Operating Procedure in upscale restaurants. If a waiter says "crispy" he means "fried." If he says "briny" he means "salty." If he says "it's interesting" he means "I wouldn't order it but my boss says to sell it."

• Reply 31 of 70
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member

As much as I laugh at the typical Gizmodo hawking of confidential Apple secrets, this is a pretty cool read.

So... to become awesome at customer service, you understand people and psychology, and you employ means of making interactions positive and memorable.

"Crash" does not make people feel good about the experience, so ban it. Wipe it out and replace it with stuff that actually helps.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think of these kinds of things as spin. It's more like "people are going to love our company, and we're going to do it by going down into our language and frame how the customer sees us in a different and better light." Read up: THIS is how you get people to care about your technology company.

• Reply 32 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Robbox View Post

is this so wrong of me?

having read this article, now all I want to do is go to my nerest Apple Store and see how many 'forbidden' words I can get the staff to utter.....I'll be back with the results image

I was thinking about running down the list of "expressed emotions"… 'kicking at nothing', 'blank stare', and so forth. image

• Reply 33 of 70
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member

Doesn't sound like they consulted George Carlin on this one.

Crash, Freeze, Hang, C***, C********, M*********** and T***...

• Reply 34 of 70

I took an iphone 4 in and was willing to pay the 150gbp to get the replacement but they couldn't charge my card so told me its my lucky day and gave me the phone for free, I will always buy apple now.. 

• Reply 35 of 70
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maltz View Post

Banning the use of IMPRECISE language is the idea.  What does "Crash" mean?  Kernel panic?  Did an application unexpectedly quit?  Or just stop responding?  The whole computer or just one application?  I could go on.  Avoiding common, highly-vague terms helps focus in on the problem faster - and that's good for the customer and the genius.

Yeah, like the alternatives they offer for "crash" are so much more precise!!  

BTW, I did Apple support through a 3rd party for about 30 months and I always had to watch what words I chose. Sometimes it just gets to be silly.

• Reply 36 of 70
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caanan @ No Vacation Required View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    what about "spinning beach ball of death?"  Is that in the playbook?

Side note:  The logic board on my MBA (2011) failed last week.  Took it to Apple and - despite the fact that my MBA is no longer under warranty and I don't have AppleCare - they fixed it for free.  I was stunned.

In years past, that had always been my experience with Apple, but I thought that as they became a much bigger company, they were actually avoiding that kind of service and simply "playing by the book".

I may have told these stories before, but some years ago, my daughter had her laptop and a baby on her lap and the baby pulled the screen back and broke the hinges.   The screen still worked, but had to be supported.   Apple said it wasn't worth fixing - would cost well over $1000.    Then the video card died.   She brought it in to have the video card replaced and was expecting to pay for that, but not to have the hinges fixed.   Apple fixed the entire thing for free.   

My son-in-law bought a G4 tower in which the power supply died on several occassions.   Apple replaced the power supply each time, but on the last visit, he told them that he would expect a new machine if it failed again.   It did fail again but by this time the G4 tower was no longer available.   Apple gave him a G5.

When I got my first iPhone, I was having problems with it.   Apple ran a diagnostic and claimed nothing was wrong with it (although I could have swore I saw the diagnostic did come up with something wrong).   In any case, they replaced the phone anyway.

Under warranty, I was having problems with the DVD player in the laptop.  It would play CDs, but would frequently fail on DVDs.   I brought it in and the "genius" quickly realized that I knew what I was doing so he didn't spend a lot of time re-diagnosing the issue.   He took the machine in for a replacement drive but warned me it might take 2-3 days.  I begged him to do it faster (I dropped it off about midnight).    When I woke up later that morning, I already had a phone-mail message that the machine was ready for pickup.

So all of those events made me love Apple very much.   They came through every time.

But right now, after loading Mountain Lion, I'm experiencing both the battery life issues and the freeze issues.  And while I did receive a call from Apple on the battery life issue, it doesn't look like Apple is doing much about either issue, since the .1 release didn't  help.  I'm hoping the .2 release fixes these issues.    If it does, I'm willing to forgive.    If it doesn't, Apple will have killed my faith and I've been a customer and/or developer since the Apple ][ days. 

That's what scares me about these language mandates.    It's fine to be positive with customers and to use consistent language, but language shouldn't be used to avoid real issues.

• Reply 37 of 70
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who would want to visit the rump of the industry that is Gizmodo? And why am I not surprised that they're the ones leaking this (and highlighting things they feel emotional about)?

I'm against a few of the things that Apple offers as 'alternatives' in these scenarios. They just feel… off, really.

Thirty-seven years ago I was in the retail business selling big ticket products  (church organs both pipe/electronic) and my employer sent me to a Dale Carnegie course called "Selling Your Price in Today's Market." Nothing has changed. As a salesman you need to inform/convince people to pay the price you are asking, especially if your products and prices are premium. Explaining how paying more up front will save money in the long run and provide a better ownership experience is key. People willingly pay more for what they perceive as a superior value. I see nothing wrong with that approach. Soothing ruffled feathers is no vice either. The majority of us cannot do without our automobiles even for a short time and we get really cranky really quick if our mechanic can't fix it that day. Same goes for computers.

• Reply 38 of 70
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Geniuses need a training manual?

• Reply 39 of 70
    mac512mac512 Posts: 37member

Quote:

Oi. Don't drag Cook into that unless we've proof of it. It's all on Browett, last I checked.

I'll not bet on that... 

• Reply 40 of 70
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

I'm concerned that's not true. I hope you're right, but I'm now not convinced.