Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    tcmwtcmw Posts: 3member

AI now appears to be loading fine!

• Reply 22 of 33

Works fine for me. 

iPod touch 4G iOS latest beta

• Reply 23 of 33

It's working now.  I accessed the site via twitter, feedly and good'o mobile safari.  

• Reply 24 of 33
    noogenooge Posts: 7member

I was one of the people that was having the problem and now it's fixed. I noticed the mobile site design is slightly different now too. (The article titles do not have a vertical shading effect anymore)

• Reply 25 of 33
    omegaomega Posts: 427member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Since whenever we moved to Huddler.

Damn it!  Make a snarky comment about Huddlers ability to fix things in a timely manner, and what happens?  It get fixed in a timely manner.

:shakes fist:

Still has to be said that I find the lack of control that the admins/mods/users have over the site is surprising.  Not only here, but also at the 'NN.

• Reply 26 of 33

Mine is working correctly again today. 

• Reply 27 of 33

Thanks AI! Obviously someone found the bug and fixed it for us! 8-)

In general I REALLY like the simple interface design and the ability to enlarge the article text on this mobile adaptation - kudos to AI for that too!

I wish more websites would follow this lead for clean and useable mobile format/UI.

-Jeff

• Reply 28 of 33
    aslamaslam Posts: 12member

OK so for me part of it is fixed but something else has now broken.

If I browse to an article from iphone.appleinsider.com, they work again which is great! Thank you for fixing this.

Having said that, now I'm finding that if I click on the AI logo at the top to go to the main article listing, it now takes me to the full site instead of going to the iphone optimized site. As well if I manually go to appleinsider.com, previously the site would recognize that I am browsing from an iPhone and automatically redirect me to the iphone.appleinsider.com optimized site. This was even happening during the article loading issues of a few days ago. However that no longer happens. So I need to manually go to iphone.appleinsider.com in order to get the optimized UI and I can't hit the AI logo at the top to get to the article listing. Therefore it looks like one step forward but two backwards for me.

Can anyone else confirm that this is happening to them?

Please fix this soon, oh AI admins.

Thanks!!

• Reply 29 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by aslam View Post

OK so for me part of it is fixed but something else has now broken.

If I browse to an article from iphone.appleinsider.com, they work again which is great! Thank you for fixing this.

Having said that, now I'm finding that if I click on the AI logo at the top to go to the main article listing, it now takes me to the full site instead of going to the iphone optimized site. As well if I manually go to appleinsider.com, previously the site would recognize that I am browsing from an iPhone and automatically redirect me to the iphone.appleinsider.com optimized site. This was even happening during the article loading issues of a few days ago. However that no longer happens. So I need to manually go to iphone.appleinsider.com in order to get the optimized UI and I can't hit the AI logo at the top to get to the article listing. Therefore it looks like one step forward but two backwards for me.

Can anyone else confirm that this is happening to them?

Please fix this soon, oh AI admins.

Thanks!!

Yes, this is happening to me too with my 4th generation iPod Touch, however, I just switched on my 2009 iPod Touch, which I rarely use, and rather strangely it is working perfectly normally that one. 

To work around the problem, after tapping the ai logo, slide the full site screen to the left and tap the 'View Mobile Site' link at the top centre of the page.

• Reply 30 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

Yes, this is happening to me too with my 4th generation iPod Touch, however, I just switched on my 2009 iPod Touch, which I rarely use, and rather strangely it is working perfectly normally that one. 

To work around the problem, after tapping the ai logo, slide the full site screen to the left and tap the 'View Mobile Site' link at the top centre of the page.

@Stephenbw: Thanks for the tip. That is working for me. Still it would be better if the AI server were to automatically redirect me to the mobile site like it used to instead of me having to tap that extra link. Please AI admins, make this more intuitive.

And if you really want to make this awesome, please make the site act like other sites (MacRumours for example) where there is no special mobile URL to redirect me to. Instead the server serves up either the mobile or the non-mobile site at the same URL based on whether I'm using a mobile browser or not. That would be truly good HCI.

Thanks!!

• Reply 31 of 33
    Since whenever we moved to Huddler.

Aha. All this same stuff is going on over at Mac NN & it's sad. Both sites are basically unusable on a mobile device, now. I can't fathom why websites that cater to users of the best mobile devices, and news and discussion about the fastest growing mobile device maker would switch to a platform that doesn't support those same devices.

I know I'm not a super-frequent poster here, but I've been a member and a very regular site reader for about 10 years, and since my browsing device of choice these days is an Apple iPad (you guys should check them out-they're really great!) I'm basically frozen out.

This huddler business is breaking the Internet.
  • Reply 32 of 33

Originally Posted by chris v View Post

…since my browsing device of choice these days is an Apple iPad (you guys should check them out-they're really great!) I'm basically frozen out.

On the contrary, unless you feel like thumbing-up everything you see the forum has, for me, been quite usable on my iPad. Have to tap everything twice (which, I agree, is inexcusable. It's a result of Huddler hijacking the hover state instead of using the standard HTML alt tags for hover states—completely unnecessary…), but other than that.

• Reply 33 of 33

FYI... this morning I tried tapping the AI logo at the top of the iPhone site to see if things had been fixed. As usual the page loaded up to http://appleinsider.com/ but then to my delight it automatically redirected to iphone.applesinsider.com. So it looks like the issue is fixed now. Thanks AI admins for fixing this!

Now the next step would be to improve the experience by implementing something like MacRumors has where there is no need for an alternate URL because the server automatically serves up a mobile site to mobile browsers and a non-mobile site to non-mobile browsers.

Also I noticed that since the AI main site redesign launched a few days ago, section/paragraph titles on the mobile site are now in a different font and take up a lot more vertical screen real estate. I'm not opposed to he new font. I like the new AI look, however the extra screen real estate would be better served with text on my iPhone 4S screen.

In the meanwhile, thank you again for fixing this. You folks are awesome!