Apple rumored to unveil Wi-Fi free version of AirPlay at Sept. 12 event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    unferth wrote: »
    Finally...built-in FM transmitters!

I doubt it.
    Sounds like it is using Bonjour networking feature of OS X.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    kbalkbal Posts: 1member

Bluetooth works well but does compress audio considerably.  The biggest reason I started using Airplay was because there is no compression over wifi.

• Reply 23 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    zorinlynx wrote: »
    Bluetooth already does this, does it very well, and you can use it IN ADDITION to Wifi.
    So can AirdDrop, which this seems to be following.
    What does this bring to the table other than another proprietary standard? Bluetooth works with pretty much all modern phones.
    Longer distances and greater bandwidth comes to mind. Sure, this states only for audio in the article but what do you think comes after that? Video perhaps? I'm not sure that 1080p can sufficiently handled by BT in a real world setting and I've not see anything that stated that BT was more power efficient than WiFI at a high bandwidth capacity.

Since there is no evidence of Apple excluding BT from their devices I think you are taking the wrong stance with your queries.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    clexmanclexman Posts: 208member

Nice that Intel's Wireless Display may finally be catching on. This describes how Intel WiDi works. WiDi already lets you mirror your display directly, without devices joining a WiFi network. It uses the WiFi frequencies, but is not a WiFi network.

• Reply 25 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

This aught to be an interesting concept.

Perhaps Apple is starting to think about mesh networks?... just like their mesh network (of sorts) that polls iPhones in traffic to generate real-time traffic data.

• Reply 26 of 49
    Hope it works with SONOS
  • Reply 27 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I guess Tim's "doubling down" on security hasn't started yet.

I guess people will never wise up.

• Reply 28 of 49
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Really don't understand this as written-up here.

You can already connect to any Airplay enabled device (Like the Pioneer tuners, etc) without any LAN networking in place. Same as is the case for hooking up to built-in  WiFi enabled printers. No router / repeater / base station is (necessarily) required.

• Reply 29 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by unferth View Post

Finally...built-in FM transmitters!

I posted this over at Macrumors around the same time you wrote this:

I seem to remember a year or so ago a story that the WiFi/Bluetooth chip used in the iPhone had FM transceiver capacity which apple weren't using - perhaps they are now. Would be great for the car if so.

and posted this link

Quote:

Broadcom scores a major design win inside the new iPhone 4S with the discovery of the BCM4330 MAC/Baseband/Radio with Integrated Bluetooth and FM Transceiver located in the Murata SW SS1919013 ceramic module. An upgrade from the BCM4329 primarily around the implementation of Bluetooth 4.0, the BCM4330 was first found within the Samsung Galaxy S II.

• Reply 30 of 49
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm just curious - how many people who would use this don't already have a WiFi network in their home? I can't believe that the number is very large. Heck, even my 80+ year old mother who is as technophobic as anyone out there has WiFi.

I don't have a WiFi network that I can use for this at work.  This would avoid the "problem" of having to dock my iPhone to listen to music.  Presumably.

• Reply 31 of 49
    I was setting up Airplay screen mirroring using laptops running mountain lion, an apple TV and a wifi network in a corporate space. The problem i ran into was there was corporate wifi which the users wanted to connect to. The Apple TV was not allowed to connect to the corporate wifi due to IT regulations in the building. So I had an airport express not connected to the internet but used its wifi network for Airplay. This meant that the users could connect to the internet via the corporate wifi, or connect to the airport express for screen sharing but not both at the same time.
    If they roll out this feature to include Airplay video mirroring from a laptop then that would solve my problem.
    There was a LAN connection, but again due to the draconian IT rules, routers were not allowed either. So only one user could use the LAN connection.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    dubston wrote: »
    I was setting up Airplay screen mirroring using laptops running mountain lion, an apple TV and a wifi network in a corporate space. The problem i ran into was there was corporate wifi which the users wanted to connect to. The Apple TV was not allowed to connect to the corporate wifi due to IT regulations in the building. So I had an airport express not connected to the internet but used its wifi network for Airplay. This meant that the users could connect to the internet via the corporate wifi, or connect to the airport express for screen sharing but not both at the same time.
    If they roll out this feature to include Airplay video mirroring from a laptop then that would solve my problem.
    There was a LAN connection, but again due to the draconian IT rules, routers were not allowed either. So only one user could use the LAN connection.

This is a huge benefit for businesses and schools.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Apple... Just buy Sonos and integrate their system. Much more resistant to interference. Would also be a nice fit from a product perspective.
  • Reply 34 of 49

Is it just me, or is Apple eating all the other manufacturer's lunch! :}

If we're not careful, Apple will soon be making state of the art laptop enclosures with industry leading high-res., screens, cutting edge battery technology, killer OS, a fantastic suite of free software for photos, movies, music, etc., etc.

Oh, wait! :)

I'm telling you, (and you heard it here first!) MS, Dell, HP, Best Buy, Sony, RIM, Kodak, Yahoo, Motorola, Nokia, HTC, Qwest, Cell companies, Cable companies are "ice cubes" sitting in the sun! :) My CEO dad always said, "In business, if you're not growing, you're dying! " That has to even more critical in the tech industry!

• Reply 35 of 49
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

I thought Airplay would be great until I found out Apple were doing one of their usual greed maneuvers and disabled the Touch and iPhone from being on the receiving end. Back to using DNLA via the Samsung phone.  This also sounds like just a scheme to sell licenses to manufacturers of audio equipment.  Again, more about the money than end user convenience.

• Reply 36 of 49

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    If the subject of this article is intended to mean "without Wi-Fi," it's missing a hyphen: "Wi-Fi-free." Without the hyphen, "Wi-Fi free" means "Wi-Fi without cost." I'm just sayin'...  :-)

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 37 of 49
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It would still be WiFi but rather eliminates the need for a hub. Most likely this is a form of peer to peer networking or as sometimes called adhoc networking. Either that or the audio equipment comes equipped with its on WiFi hub. I really don't see this as a big deal myself, but then again I have nothing in the way of a home network.

The headline doesn't make sense. Wi-Fi free is different from Wi-Fi Network free.

• Reply 38 of 49
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member

I believe what this new variant of WiFi brings that is not already available with bluetooth is higher bandwidth and fidelity. Possibly because of its roots in cellphone headsets and power constraints the audio profiles for bluetooth are rather modest when it comes to audio fidelity.

• Reply 39 of 49
    jowie74 wrote: »
    The headline doesn't make sense. Wi-Fi free is different from Wi-Fi Network free.

It's still using the same 802.11 protocols but it's an ad-hoc network and a special one at that that can be maintained whilst still connected to a WiFI router. Also, as I stated before connecting two devices is still a network. I don't many people have an idea what ad-hoc means, even many that work in IT. It's just not used often enough to be of importance to many people so I don't see any one term that is ideal but I think AI's wording it fine because it won't affect your current WiFi connection and will appear to the user as a different thing even though it's technically 802.11.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

More likely this is learned manipulation of the public to create a frenzy about the coming debut. By the time Apple is done all the excutives will have to do is walk on stage and smile leaving the fanboys in a state of orgasm.

Gosh, is someone stuck back in the 90's? Explanations about a company of the scale that Apple has achieved in terms of a small group of fanatics is severely reality deficient. The only significant manipulation going on is creating products that are highly desirable to a mass audience.