Apple & PowerON offer up to $345 for recycling an iPhone 4S

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple this week updated its device recycling program to begin accepting the iPhone 4S, offering customers up to $345 for the top-of-the-line 64-gigabyte model.

Apple launched its buyback program for old iPhones, iPad and Macs last August through a partnership with PowerON. The third-party company operates Apple's reuse program, which provides customers with an Apple gift card equivalent to the fair market value of a device as determined by PowerON.

An estimated value for an iPhone 4S trade-in can now be found at Apple's Reuse and Recycling website. Customers with a lightly used black iPhone 4S in working condition will receive a $280 gift card for their handset.

The addition of the iPhone 4S to Apple's Reuse and Recycling program comes as the company is expected to be gearing up for the launch of its next handset, the successor to the iPhone 4S. The company is expected to hold a media event on Sept. 12 to unveil the next iPhone, with the device expected to launch the following week on Sept. 21.

Gift cards for Apple trade-ins are eligible for use at any U.S. Apple retail store or at the U.S. Apple online store. If a customer wants to trade in an item with no monetary value, the device will be recycled at no cost to the user.

iPhone 4S

In addition to Apple products, the company's Reuse and Recycling program also accepts trade-ins of Windows-based laptops and desktops. Older PCs can be recycled at no cost, while some newer computers receive an Apple gift card provided by PowerON.

The gift card amounts quoted online are estimates, and PowerON will determine the actual value after the product has been received and evaluated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week updated its device recycling program to begin accepting the iPhone 4S, offering customers up to $345 for the top-of-the-line 64-gigabyte model. ...

And as is always the case, you can get even more money by trying other places or selling it on Craigslist.  Apple doesn't differentiate between locked and unlocked devices either and the unlocked ones are always worth a bit more on the open market. 

• Reply 2 of 27
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

so when do you have to send the phone in? i'm not going to do this until i see the new iphone announcement

• Reply 3 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

so when do you have to send the phone in? i'm not going to do this until i see the new iphone announcement

Then you'll lose a hundred in resell value… 

• Reply 4 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

And as is always the case, you can get even more money by trying other places or selling it on Craigslist.  Apple doesn't differentiate between locked and unlocked devices either and the unlocked ones are always worth a bit more on the open market. 

I think this is a great idea and very convenient for many.  Lots of people don't like the hassles of going independent to sell their phone, let alone posting an ad on Craigslist and worry if the person you're meeting to sell your phone is going to rob you.

I sell a few things on Ebay which is usually high-dollar items like old Macbooks when the new models come out.  Otherwise, it's not worth my time and effort to sell something like a phone to make the difference between selling it solo, and handing it to Apple for credit.  Hell, I make more per hour in my job (software development) than what I'd make selling said phone that to me, it's an easy deal.

Great for Apple doing this.  One extra service to make one's life a little easier. 

• Reply 5 of 27
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Gazelle.com (possibly others) are offering a locked in quote developed now that is good until October 1st: presumably after new iPhones will be delivered from pre-orders at least.

I waited from Saturday until Monday to lock my quote in and the offering dropped $40 (from $390 to $352 for a "flawless" 64GB AT&T 4s) in those two days so the above warning from Tallest Skil is a fair one. 

• Reply 6 of 27

I considered recycling through this program for an iPhone 3G. I did not expect money back, but expected to be able to print a label and let the scheduled FedEx pick up at work take it. It turned out you have to print a coupon, then take that to a FedEx store, wait in line, and have them package the device.

In the end I decided spending an hour in traffic and in line was not worth it, so the 3G continues to collect dust. It will probably end of in the garbage at some point.

• Reply 7 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

I considered recycling through this program for an iPhone 3G. I did not expect money back, but expected to be able to print a label and let the scheduled FedEx pick up at work take it. It turned out you have to print a coupon, then take that to a FedEx store, wait in line, and have them package the device.

In the end I decided spending an hour in traffic and in line was not worth it, so the 3G continues to collect dust. It will probably end of in the garbage at some point.

Or with a little effort you could sell it on Craigslist for $80-125.  If nothing else give it to a family member or friend who is hard up for cash and let them try to sell it.  It's doing no one any good collecting dust.

• Reply 8 of 27
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I think this is a great idea and very convenient for many.  Lots of people don't like the hassles of going independent to sell their phone, let alone posting an ad on Craigslist and worry if the person you're meeting to sell your phone is going to rob you.

I sell a few things on Ebay which is usually high-dollar items like old Macbooks when the new models come out.  Otherwise, it's not worth my time and effort to sell something like a phone to make the difference between selling it solo, and handing it to Apple for credit.  Hell, I make more per hour in my job (software development) than what I'd make selling said phone that to me, it's an easy deal.

Great for Apple doing this.  One extra service to make one's life a little easier. 

Agreed.  

I just wish Apple would see the difference between off-contract and on-contract phones.  I paid $900 for my phone and I'd rather get the $450 or so it's worth a year later rather than pretend it's the same as every other $200 phone out there.  

• Reply 9 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Or with a little effort you could sell it on Craigslist for $80-125.  If nothing else give it to a family member or friend who is hard up for cash and let them try to sell it.  It's doing no one any good collecting dust.

I did not think it would be worth that much, but I just threw it up on craigslist at $80 to see what happens.

• Reply 10 of 27
    tud28tud28 Posts: 1member

I locked my AT&T 64GB 4S in at $370 (flawless).  I just checked Gazelle, it is now $314.00

• Reply 11 of 27
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Agreed.  

I just wish Apple would see the difference between off-contract and on-contract phones.  I paid $900 for my phone and I'd rather get the $450 or so it's worth a year later rather than pretend it's the same as every other $200 phone out there.  

What?  Your phone is somehow better than mine because you paid more for it?  I don't see where any "pretending" come into this.

• Reply 12 of 27
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUD28 View Post

I locked my AT&T 64GB 4S in at $370 (flawless).  I just checked Gazelle, it is now $314.00

I just checked Gazelle 2 minutes ago, and was quoted $333 for flawless. That's on fluctuating market.

• Reply 13 of 27
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Why are they doing it now?  I would think that they would offer this program when the iPhone 5 gets announced and starts shipping.

• Reply 14 of 27
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

As has been pointed out already, there are better paying alternatives out there.

Gazelle is offering a similar $333, but eBay selling tool is showing final sales between $450 and $500 this week after listing and final value fees are factored in. I imagine you could get close to this depending on where you live.

Amazon seems to be the best game in town, offering up to $500 in gift cards for flawless black 64gb. Yeah it's a gift card, but I'm pretty sure even the pickiest shopper can find something to blow that on in the Amazon warehouse.

If I were going to go the low bid route, I'd probably use Gazelle. It's much less than CL/Amazon/eBay, but they deposit the money right into your paypal account in a couple days, or cut you a check within a week.

• Reply 15 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Why are they doing it now?

Because they've been doing it, and this allows people to sell now and prepare.

• Reply 16 of 27
    CashAmerica obviously also recycle if pawn shopping
  • Reply 17 of 27
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member

I did 3 price checks on my iPhone 4/32Gb on Apple's site:

"Cracks in case" = $50

"Scuffs" = $150

None of the above = $185

The quote from Gazelle was similar.

"Cash907" above is right, Amazon was considerably higher. They offered $250 for "Good" condition.

• Reply 18 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because they've been doing it, and this allows people to sell now and prepare.

Or sell now and buy a Galaxy SIII and be done with Apple?

• Reply 19 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

What?  Your phone is somehow better than mine because you paid more for it?  I don't see where any "pretending" come into this.

His factory unlocked phone is better than yours because it can be used on any GSM network in the USA or around the world.  That's why a factory unlocked 4S on eBay goes for approx. $100 more than a comparable size/quality 4S locked to AT&T or Verizon. Check it out for yourself.

• Reply 20 of 27

Since the hardware for all iPhones (4s model) is exactly the same, with a software lock applied through firmware for different carriers, couldn't a locked phone be reflashed by Apple and offered as unlocked? Or for that matter an unlocked version be locked?  This assumes that PowerOn is refurbishing phones and giving them back to Apple for warranty replacements, etc... I assume Apple maintains a master serial list of all phones by carrier and can move individual models from one grouping to another.