• Reply 121 of 171
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HTC isn't copying Apple.

HTC isn't copying their computers.

HTC isn't copying their mail clients.

HTC isn't copying their Dock.

HTC isn't copying their background images.

HTC isn't copying Apple.

It's a bit hard to see if they are copying the reflection below the icons in the semi transparent dock, like Samsung is with their S-menu in Windows 8:-

• Reply 122 of 171

This definitely needs to be posted:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090249247

In case you don't want to follow the link, the patent description is

A computer-implemented user notification method includes displaying, in a status area near a perimeter of a graphical interface, a notification of a recent alert event for a mobile device, receiving a user selection in the status area, and in response to the receipt of the user selection, displaying, in a central zone of the graphical interface, detail regarding a plurality of recent messaging events for the mobile device.

I don't think the patent has been granted yet, but there is no disputing the fact that were this granted, Apple would be in clear violation.  Can we move along now?

• Reply 123 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

zOmg that looks JUST LIKE AN iMAC!  Everyone in your lawsuit gear ASAP.  

Can't wait to see what the evangelicals say when Apple finally gets around to adding some sort of widget functionality to iOS.

Why wait when you can root your iPhone, install a custom ROM and add widgets from Cydia.

• Reply 124 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

More likely Google isn't interested stifling competition via patent hording and trolling.

Why did they buy Motorola and continue trolling lawsuits then, particularly those involving standards essential patents?

Then there were the failed attempts to "loan" patents to HTC solely for the purpose of litigation against Apple.

Looks like a patent troll, sounds like a patent troll, IS a patent troll.

• Reply 125 of 171
    bizzlebizzle Posts: 66member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nothing can be stolen from 'open source'. My answer is that jailbroken iPhones had it first, and from them Apple got its implementation and code, but if you cared whatsoever about the actual argument, you'd know that.

Guess who wasn't doing it and making it look like that. Wild guess.

I've actually tried to trace the lineage of the notification shade and so far what I've been able to surmise is that apple got it from jail breakers...who got it from android...whose developers at Google, while coding on their macbooks, were surely using growl at the time. and growl is open source.

and that's as far back as I went but it's a very interesting brain pool and talent that led to the ubiquitous notification shade we all use today

that said, I don't think that the case against HTC is a sliver as strong as it was against samsung and most certainly not willful infringement

• Reply 126 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why did they buy Motorola and continue trolling lawsuits then, particularly those involving standards essential patents?

Then there were the failed attempts to "loan" patents to HTC solely for the purpose of litigation against Apple.

Looks like a patent troll, sounds like a patent troll, IS a patent troll.

Clearly you don't properly understand what a 'patent troll' is, so let me help you out.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia View Post

Patent troll is a pejorative term used for a person or company who enforces patents against one or more alleged infringers in a manner considered aggressive or opportunistic with no intention to manufacture or market the patented invention.

Please pay careful attention to the last part of this definition, as the last time I checked, Google was very much in the business of bringing mobile patents into the marketplace. They do after all develop the world's most popular smartphone OS.

• Reply 127 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

This definitely needs to be posted:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090249247

In case you don't want to follow the link, the patent description is

A computer-implemented user notification method includes displaying, in a status area near a perimeter of a graphical interface, a notification of a recent alert event for a mobile device, receiving a user selection in the status area, and in response to the receipt of the user selection, displaying, in a central zone of the graphical interface, detail regarding a plurality of recent messaging events for the mobile device.

I don't think the patent has been granted yet, but there is no disputing the fact that were this granted, Apple would be in clear violation.  Can we move along now?

Except Apple doesn't use this bit "includes displaying, in a status area near a perimeter of a graphical interface, a notification of a recent alert event for a mobile device", NOW we can move along.

• Reply 128 of 171

Quote:

Except Apple doesn't use this bit "includes displaying, in a status area near a perimeter of a graphical interface, a notification of a recent alert event for a mobile device", NOW we can move along.

Really??? What exactly do you call it then when recent events are displayed at the top of your iPhone screen?

• Reply 129 of 171
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

I HOPE Apple took Notification shade from Google. Google and their Android pimps have been using Apple as their R&D dept. since the original iPhone. There is no telling how much *more* the industry owes Apple in damages, never mind Samsung. Who's next? Who's next to follow down the Samsung legal path?

Notification Shade is very, very small compensation for the violations that are still out there, that Apple has *yet* to address. Samsung is probably not the end of it. What a great turn of events, to have made an example out of the biggest player, so the potential smaller infringers can be picked off more easily. Expect to see at the very least, some radical device redesigns from these Android OEMs based on the fallout of the Apple-Samsung ruling. 

Fair play to Apple. Fair damn play. The industry at large owes them plenty. And Google knows better than to pursue Apple on it. The last thing they want is to be put under a legal microscope. Better to rely on OEMs (while leaving them out to dry) to fight the battles, while Google files a few half-hearted briefs as a consolation. But what else can you expect from some bottom-feeding ad-company that has as much respect for their OS and OEMs as they do for the user's privacy? 

• Reply 130 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Really??? What exactly do you call it then when recent events are displayed at the top of your iPhone screen?

Such as?

• Reply 131 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Google knows better than to pursue Apple on it. The last thing they want is to be put under a legal microscope. Better to rely on OEMs (while leaving them out to dry) to fight the battles, while Google files a few half-hearted briefs as a consolation.

Apparently you have been living in a cave the last week...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152042/motorolas-seven-patent-itc-complaint-against-apple-detailed

• Reply 132 of 171

Quote:

Such as?

I honestly can't tell if you're being serious or not. Are you asking what type of recent events are displayed at the top of the screen? Text, emails, etc...

• Reply 133 of 171
    sockrolid wrote: »
    And did Google, in their infinite wisdom, patent its precursor to Notification Shade?

Or did Google just push out an update ASAP, cross their fingers, close their eyes, and say "Here goes nothing!"
    Because that's what they seem to be doing most of the time.  "Legal shmegal.  Ship now, ask questions later."

dasanman69 wrote: »
    Patent pending

slurpy wrote: »
    I love how almost every pro-Android and anti-Apple innovation always come back to the 'notification bar. Fucking amazing. As if this ONE gesture, compared to the very concept of the modern smartphone and the millions of details, large and small, that have been 'inspired' by Apple's iPhone, makes it a wash or something. 

shidell wrote: »
    What's the difference? It's a huge, glaring point stamped right on Apple: They took the Notification Bar from Android.

If you're going to make the arguments of "don't steal, don't copy, invent your own tech, etc." then you're being hypocritical because of that single instance. Any more would only further the point.

That's why you continue to hear it, and you'll continue to hear it--because it's a perfect example of hypocrisy.

And when Google finally gets the patent for the dropdown notification thingy... then they can sue Apple for "stealing" it.

That's how it works.

Just like how Apple had a bunch of patents, trade dress and other things... and they sued Samsung. Remember the court case that ended just a few days ago?

Apple will end up licensing the notification bar from Google... if that's what they have to do.

Just like how Samsung will pay Apple a billion dollars for the stuff they stole as well.

To review:

1. If Apple is found guilty of stealing the notification bar from Google... they will pay.
    2. Samsung was found guilty of infringing Apple's patents and violating trade dress... so they will pay too.

EDIT: and just to be clear... one of those is WAY worse than the other...

• Reply 134 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

What kind of an argument is this? Is your argument not that Android doesn't invent, and takes everything from Apple? Does that mean that it is OK for Apple to take something from Android, just because it's open? Design cues, UI and all?

You don't think that's hypocritical?

The Notification Shade is an integral part of Android, and it was present in 1.0. There was no such thing in a jailbroken iPhone before that, it was added as a feature when someone said, "You know, that makes a lot of sense" and implemented a solution mimicking it.

I need some clarification.  You keep saying "notification bar" and "notification shade."  Are you referring to the bar in the top menu bar that displays a notification or the actual notification center?

• Reply 135 of 171
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

They do after all develop the world's most popular smartphone OS.

popular.... not by a long shot, cheapest and most widely used, sure ill give you that.

• Reply 136 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

popular.... not by a long shot, cheapest and most widely used, sure ill give you that.

Considering that 2 out of every 3 people in the world with a smartphone uses Android, how is this not 'popular'??

pop·u·lar (adj) - 3)frequently encountered or widely accepted

• Reply 137 of 171

Quote:

Considering that 2 out of every 3 people in the world with a smartphone uses Android, how is this not 'popular'??

pop·u·lar (adj) - 3)frequently encountered or widely accepted

again you are assuming people are buying android phones because they prefer them over IOS and not because they are cheaper or in many cases free, hmm $400 ipone which would suck my entire months paycheck away or a free android POS, well I guess ill settle with the android POS until I get promoted to drive through.

• Reply 138 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    xrcx wrote: »
    again you are assuming people are buying android phones because they prefer them over IOS and not because they are cheaper or in many cases free, hmm $400 ipone which would suck my entire months paycheck away or a free android POS, well I guess ill settle with the android POS until I get promoted to drive through.

Keep repeating that to yourself until it matters.
  • Reply 139 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Keep repeating that to yourself until it matters.

lol I am not sure you even ready what I wrote, but if you think the low end smartphone market has no impact on android adoption numbers then you are delusional, the original question was popularity which I do not define as simply the largest quantity.

• Reply 140 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

No, I simply never assumed that 'popular' meant 'best' or 'expensive'. That is your conjecture. Since when was something that was 'cheap' no longer allowed to be 'popular'?

I really don't know how much clearer I can be considering I gave you the very definition of the word and the context I was using it in....