Apple continues testing Facebook integration with second beta of OS X 10.8.2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday provided developers with the second beta of OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, less than a week after the first beta became available.

People familiar with the latest beta of OS X 10.8.2 indicated it is known as build 12C35. Developers have reportedly been asked to focus on the new Facebook integration coming to the updated version of Mountain Lion.

Other areas of focus highlighted by Apple for developers are said to be Messages, Game Center, Safari and Reminders. The latest build of OS X 10.8.2 reportedly contains no known issues.

The first beta of OS X 10.8.2 was provided to select developers last Thursday. Those who participated in the beta were invited to do so by Apple via e-mail.

The biggest change in OS X 10.8.2 is expected to be Facebook integration across the entire Mountain Lion operating system. The new feature will work similar to how Twitter is currently integrated, with the ability to post pictures and other content directly to a user's Facebook account with the operating system's Share Sheets button.

Mountain Lion

The latest public release of Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8.1, also launched last Thursday. It resolved an issue that caused Migration Assistant to unexpectedly quit, improved compatibility when connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server in Mail, and addressed an issue playing audio through a Thunderbolt display.

Just two developer previews of OS X 10.8.1 were made available to developers before the software officially launched. Mountain Lion became available on the Mac App Store just over a months go, on July 25.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49

function SOswitchMenu() {var el = document.getElementById('bodyDiv');if ( el.style.display != "none" ) { el.style.display = 'none';}else { el.style.display = '';}var el2 = document.getElementById('h2');if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText";return;}if ( el2.className == "calHeader goog-zippy-collapsed normalText" ) { el2.className = "calHeader goog-zippy-expanded normalText";return;}}

function SOframeReload() {var f = document.getElementById('soFrame');f.src = f.src;}

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Drag and Drop Issue sorted ? 

• Reply 2 of 49
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

am I the only one on the planet who doesn't use facebook and cannot see how this will be helpful?

• Reply 3 of 49
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member

No your not neither do I!

• Reply 4 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

I can hardly wait for all the hullabaloo to appear about FB integration when 10.8.2 and iOS6 are released to the public.

<retch>

• Reply 5 of 49
    zbeezbee Posts: 5member

I hate Facebook (privacy issues) and cannot figure out why twitter is still around.

• Reply 6 of 49
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    xrcx wrote: »
    am I the only one on the planet who doesn't use facebook and cannot see how this will be helpful?
    You are not required (nor expected) to use every single feature in OS X (or iOS for that matter). If you don't find Facebook integration useful, it's not a big deal. It's not for you.

You're not obligated to use any feature. If you don't want to use OS X's address book, you don't have to. Same with Mail.app, Dashboard, a particular screensaver, whatever.

As a matter of fact, you don't even need to turn your computer on. You can use it as paperweight, door stop, or boat anchor.

Computers are designed to address the needs and desires of a large marketplace comprised of people with varying interests. They aren't designed specifically for you.

Apple Inc. is not in the kitchen, cooking breakfast for you. Apple is not your mom.
  • Reply 7 of 49

Where the hell is this seed, I can't find it 

• Reply 8 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

Let's imagine/assume this is the case, and you are the only one on the planet that doesn't use facebook. Is it a reasonable sentiment on your part to begrudge Apple for including a feature that everyone else might use, except you? Should Apple base their product development upon your needs/wants, specifically? Can you not aknowledge that it is a FACT that hundreds of millions of people use facebook, and for a large percentage of these people, this integration would be useful? I'm not a huge fan of facebook either, but I'm able to look 2 inches beyond my own nose and realize this integration is a good thing, as many (maybe not myself) will want to use it. Therefore, it's a good and rational decision for Apple to include it. It shows an utter lack of maturity if you're unable to see the big picture and expect a company to act in a way that would please only you, instead of a large number of people. How will you suffer from this feature? At most, you will see one more sharing option that you never have to use. Grow up. This bitching and whining about an added sharing option is unbelievable. 

• Reply 9 of 49
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taruga View Post

Where the hell is this seed, I can't find it 

It usually takes a couple hours to show up on non-official channels. I don't care about FB integration, personally, and wish they'd focus on fixing the battery issues, which this second beta apparently doesn't since I'm still showing 2 hours less runtime versus Lion. Seriously not amused.

• Reply 10 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Let's imagine/assume this is the case, and you are the only one on the planet that doesn't use facebook. Is it a reasonable sentiment on your part to begrudge Apple for including a feature that everyone else might use, except you? Should Apple base their product development upon your needs/wants, specifically? Can you not aknowledge that it is a FACT that hundreds of millions of people use facebook, and for a large percentage of these people, this integration would be useful? I'm not a huge fan of facebook either, but I'm able to look 2 inches beyond my own nose and realize this integration is a good thing, as many (maybe not myself) will want to use it. Therefore, it's a good and rational decision for Apple to include it. It shows an utter lack of maturity if you're unable to see the big picture and expect a company to act in a way that would please only you, instead of a large number of people. How will you suffer from this feature? At most, you will see one more sharing option that you never have to use. Grow up. This bitching and whining about an added sharing option is unbelievable. 

Whoa hold on there partner, when did I ever on this site or anywhere at all begrudge apple? I have been an Apple supporter for a very long time. Its facebook I am begrudging, it is an overhyped uneccessary blight on humanity and I think apple would be fine with leaving it as an app rather than a full IOS integration.

I neither whined nor bitched about apple in any way and yeah I know very well I don't have to use it but I don't have to like it either, To me integrating something like facebook cheapens the design of IOS and caters to a crowd of mostly braindead socialites. If you think my points are unfair then by all means tell me why facebook integration is an important feature of IOS and how it will benefit me and apple going forward but you shouldn't insinuate that I am trashing apple for simply sharing my opinion. Oh and my original question was rhetorical I am in no way the only person in the world who feels this way.

• Reply 11 of 49
    As a matter of fact, you don't even need to turn your computer on. You can use it as... (a) boat anchor.

Sadly with Apple's drive to make thin and light devices this is is becoming a less and less viable use ;)
  • Reply 12 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbee View Post

I hate Facebook (privacy issues) and cannot figure out why twitter is still around.

Maybe you're just too paranoid about your privacy?

• Reply 13 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

Whoa hold on there partner, when did I ever on this site or anywhere at all begrudge apple? I have been an Apple supporter for a very long time. Its facebook I am begrudging, it is an overhyped uneccessary blight on humanity and I think apple would be fine with leaving it as an app rather than a full IOS integration.

I neither whined nor bitched about apple in any way and yeah I know very well I don't have to use it but I don't have to like it either, To me integrating something like facebook cheapens the design of IOS and caters to a crowd of mostly braindead socialites. If you think my points are unfair then by all means tell me why facebook integration is an important feature of IOS and how it will benefit me and apple going forward but you shouldn't insinuate that I am trashing apple for simply sharing my opinion. Oh and my original question was rhetorical I am in no way the only person in the world who feels this way.

I will bet the facebook users outweigh the non-facebook users but if Apple created a way to edit the share sheet list then everyone would be happy.

• Reply 14 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I will bet the facebook users outweigh the non-facebook users but if Apple created a way to edit the share sheet list then everyone would be happy.

You are probably right Facebook has alot of people.

• Reply 15 of 49
    xrcx wrote: »
    If you think my points are unfair then by all means tell me why facebook integration is an important feature of IOS and how it will benefit me and apple going forward but you shouldn't insinuate that I am trashing apple for simply sharing my opinion. Oh and my original question was rhetorical I am in no way the only person in the world who feels this way.
    Disclaimer: I'm not a Facebook fan. However, I do understand how some others find it a valuable and even (gasp) fun service.

I won't tell you how Facebook integration with OS X will help you, however, here are several points that will benefit many other users.

Address Book integration: having your Mac's address book synchronize contact information with Facebook. Most people, if they list their contact info (phone, e-mail, etc.) put in their real information. It's far easier to maintain an address book that is updated by the individual users. Note that this isn't just e-mail and phone. It could be something like profile photos. Do you know how time consuming it is to track down a decent photo of someone and add it to your Mac's Address Book entry for them?

Calendar integration: again, having Facebook events (birthdays, etc.) added to your Mac's Calendar rather than manually enter all the data.

Messages integration: the Messages (formerly iChat) application in Mountain Lion does not currently support Facebook messaging. You need to fire up a separate application (a web browser or maybe a third-party application).

Photo Stream integration: are you starting to get it?

Notification Center integration: how about now?
  • Reply 16 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I read somewhere that like 80% of Facebook accounts are fake or duplicate/secondary, throwaway accounts which is against their rules. How long before Apple ID and iCloud accounts start being faked at the same rate? I can understand having to use your actually identity to register an iPhone since it has a monthly bill from the carrier but it is just a bit too invasive in my opinion to require you to have and Apple ID and a credit card to upgrade the OS on your computer. Personally I liked it better before when I could go to the brick and mortar Apple Store or Amazon and purchase the family DVD without having to register everything. Apple is just getting way too into my personal affairs for my liking. 

• Reply 17 of 49
    Actually, you don't need a credit card for an Apple ID account. You can recharge an account with an iTunes Store gift card.

As a matter of fact, that's the [U]smart[/U] way of funding your iTunes Store purchases, not using a credit card.

First of all, by using a gift card, iTunes/App Store will show your balance remaining. That functions very well for me as a budgeting tool.

Secondly (and perhaps more importantly), [B]you can save money by using gift cards.[/B] Periodically, iTunes Store gift cards will go on sale, up to 20% off (e.g., $50 card for $40) from online merchants. That's [B]FREE[/B] money.

Like many other people, I downloaded Mountain Lion for $20 a few weeks ago. But wait, I had recharged my account with a $50 gift card code that I bought from BestBuy.com for $40. So my out-of-pocket expenses were really $16 for the latest operating system.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Bring it. 

Twitter integration is already great in ML. I'm having a great time with it. 

Waiting for the same level of love for Facebook. 

Will it be possible to post to Both Twitter and Facebook at the same time?

For instance, I've got this handy little iPhone app, called "Sociable" that does just that. 

• Reply 19 of 49
    mstone wrote: »
    I read somewhere that like 80% of Facebook accounts are fake or duplicate/secondary, throwaway accounts which is against their rules.

80% ???

More like 8.7%
  • Reply 20 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Actually, you don't need a credit card for an Apple ID account. You can recharge an account with an iTunes Store gift card.

Good to know thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

80% ???

More like 8.7%

Thanks for the correction. 100% of my Facebook accounts are now fake as I deleted my real one but still need the other two to administrate some company pages for clients.