Delta deploying 4500 Apple iPads at US airport restaurants

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have regular iPhone earbuds which I connected to my iPad to watch a video while flying. There was a lot of quiet dialogue in the film. The iPad, through those earbuds, is just not loud enough to be audible over the engine noise. I think I need headphones but those are kind of bulky to lug around.

Get a good set of canalphones, I mow my lawn while using mine and music is loud and clear, the absence of background noise can be a bit disconcerting at first but you soon get used to it.

• Reply 22 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I fly internationally.  When I have a choice between a US carrier and International (usually Europe), I take the international carrier usually even though it is generally more expensive because I know the service is (usually) much better.

I do agree though that the US carriers in terms of service is generally the same - not good.  But heck, when people are choosing to fly the absolute cheapest flight, and then complain why the service/quality is bad.. WTF?  One gets what they pay for.  I understand that flying is expensive but when one can fly from SF to NY on a $90 special flight, something's gotta give eventually.

except Virgin America the only good one in the US..even because it is not an American company 

• Reply 23 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This is music to my ears.  Anything to help expedite and make a flier's life a little easier is welcoming news.  iPads are easy, intuitive, durable, and thanks to iOS, rock-solid!

Hmmm... don't seem to read too much in the news about Android tablets penetrating anything more than a desk drawer.

Just ask any Android cultist. The general public has totally tuned against Apple after their heinous lawsuit against innocent, angelic Samsung. Soon all iOS device will be in the trash cans, replaced by gloriously superior Android phones and tablets. Delta will regret the day they picked the evil iPad. All of humanity is now anti-Apple. Go ahead, ask any poster on C|net.

• Reply 24 of 33
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just ask any Android cultist. The general public has totally tuned against Apple after their heinous lawsuit against innocent, angelic Samsung. Soon all iOS device will be in the trash cans, replaced by gloriously superior Android phones and tablets. Delta will regret the day they picked the evil iPad. All of humanity is now anti-Apple. Go ahead, ask any poster on C|net.

I don't know if it was the same in the US but in Australia you'd walk into a phone store and all you'd see is different Nokia models with a sprinkling of other brands, that is the "choice" Samsung wants people to have, walk into a phone store full of different Samsung models with a sprinkling of other brands.

Poor little, hard done by Samsung.

• Reply 25 of 33
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Now if Delta could make flying less expensive and more ontime, I'll forgo the iPad, and instead bring my own (free WiFi would be nice in MSP too!)...

Terminal services are generally run by an outside company on behalf of the airline so the two budgets aren't connected
  • Reply 26 of 33
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152211/delta-deploying-4500-apple-ipads-at-us-airport-restaurants#post_2178616"]Flying for many people is a tiresome and stressful activity,

Which is I hope there are lots of kids games. Some Barney eps and a map to see where the nearest bathroom is
  • Reply 27 of 33

They have had them at JFK since at least January. By the time I went back through there in July, a few of them were pretty much worn out!

• Reply 28 of 33
    AI duplicate
  • Reply 29 of 33
    sflocal wrote: »
    This is music to my ears.  Anything to help expedite and make a flier's life a little easier is welcoming news.  iPads are easy, intuitive, durable, and thanks to iOS, rock-solid!

Hmmm... don't seem to read too much in the news about Android tablets penetrating anything more than a desk drawer.

Now if Delta could make flying less expensive and more ontime, I'll forgo the iPad, and instead bring my own (free WiFi would be nice in MSP too!)...

and for someone who has a house under the MSP 35/17 runway flight path... SELL THOSE STAGE 2 MD-80s TO ELBONIA.... WHY AM I SHOUTING?  WHAT?  YES.  THEY ARE THAT G@D^(&ED LOUD HERE 2 MILES FROM THE END OF THE RUNWAY!!!!

As someone who remembers when MSP,was called Wold-Chamberland (1940s), I think it's a great idea. I hope that they are flexible enough to allow access to people who bring their own iPads...

Who knows... 2,500 iPads here, 4,500 iPads there -- pretty soon this could add up to some real numbers!
  • Reply 30 of 33
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    shoozz wrote: »
    Let me please respond to the insanity of this post. You want travel to be less expense yet you want Delta to sell the capital intensive investment that earns them revenue and replace it with an even more expensive aircraft. That will surely lower ticket prices! And let me ask what came first, the MSP airport or the purchase of your home 2 miles the runway. I have experienced people who complained about the noise from an airport that was in continuous operation since 1917 and they were in their homes less than 2 years. IMHO you should't complain about a situation when you don't do your own due diligence. 

Well said. They're spending tens of millions of dollars soundproofing homes in my city - where most of the residents moved in long after the the most recent airport expansion was completed. You bought the home and got a great discount because it's near an airport, so soundproof your own home rather than demanding that taxpayer cover the cost.

Too bad the city council didn't have the guts to stand up to these freeloaders.
  • Reply 31 of 33

Wonder what they're using for a protective case.

There's a reason many restaurant menus are laminated...

• Reply 32 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

There's a reason many restaurant menus are laminated...

Is this where I embed a YouTube link of the Mr. Creosote sketch?

• Reply 33 of 33
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

except Virgin America the only good one in the US..even because it is not an American company 

But Virgin America actually is an American company. They pretty much had to be in order to obtain a charter from the FAA: by law, domestically chartered airlines can have no more than 25% foreign ownership, so Virgin Group owns 25% and an American-based holding company owns 75%. I still lived in SF at the time Virgin America was trying to get off the ground, so I followed the developments in the news pretty closely over the years. It was quite a saga, but the end result is a pretty solid carrier, though I'm a bit tired of their incessant Google / ChromeBook pushing. We fly them frequently between JFK, SFO and LAS, and don't miss the legacy carriers one bit.

JetBlue is also pretty good, but I've been happier with Virgin overall.