Apple continues testing Facebook integration with second beta of OS X 10.8.2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zbee View Post

I hate Facebook (privacy issues) and cannot figure out why twitter is still around.

I like Facebook because they aren't Google.

• Reply 22 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Let's imagine/assume this is the case, and you are the only one on the planet that doesn't use facebook. Is it a reasonable sentiment on your part to begrudge Apple for including a feature that everyone else might use, except you? Should Apple base their product development upon your needs/wants, specifically? Can you not aknowledge that it is a FACT that hundreds of millions of people use facebook, and for a large percentage of these people, this integration would be useful? I'm not a huge fan of facebook either, but I'm able to look 2 inches beyond my own nose and realize this integration is a good thing, as many (maybe not myself) will want to use it. Therefore, it's a good and rational decision for Apple to include it. It shows an utter lack of maturity if you're unable to see the big picture and expect a company to act in a way that would please only you, instead of a large number of people. How will you suffer from this feature? At most, you will see one more sharing option that you never have to use. Grow up. This bitching and whining about an added sharing option is unbelievable. 

Depending on how Twitter and FB integration is implemented, it certainly can be the case that non-users of such features, or any features for that matter, can be affected. Software and feature bloat is and always should be a concern. Has anyone used MS Windows recently? How about MS Office applications? Anybody want to address Adobe Flash on the Mac? "Integration" is keyword. "Integration" can be tightly-coupled or loosely- coupled. All users of software will always be affected whether they use a feature or not. 

By Slurpy's comments, I can only assume he has never written or contributed any code development, except maybe some toy applications. There is never, ever a point in the development cycle with any application that us professional programmers don't have to consider the benefits and costs and complexities of integrating in a new feature into an existing codebase. Why? Because it often is far more complex to do so than the mere handwaving sentiments from users or administrators. There are always costs, sometimes surprising high, and they do affect users who would never use such a feature.

So what is the affect of adding FB and Twitter integration? The code needs to be maintained; takes time, effort, staff. Issue new release and the new code must be tested again and again. FB or Twitter makes changes; then the integrated software needs to be updated to support, not only in the current OS release but also in all extant supported releases.

The above is just for starters. I'll let other developers chime in with their own extended list of costs. But, barring that, here is a link for you to consider: http://www.cioupdate.com/reports/article.php/1563701/Software-Project-Failure-The-Reasons-The-Costs.htm

Or, http://ometer.com/features.html

• Reply 23 of 49
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Lol hmmm I have to agree there,

• Reply 24 of 49
    deleted
  • Reply 25 of 49
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Actually, you don't need a credit card for an Apple ID account. You can recharge an account with an iTunes Store gift card.

As a matter of fact, that's the smart way of funding your iTunes Store purchases, not using a credit card. ...

More like "that's the cheap way of funding your iTunes store purchases."  

There is nothing inherently "dumb" about using a credit card, there are bonuses and discounts you can obtain using either method. 

• Reply 26 of 49
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Wrong again. I see you have never done this before.

Just use a credit card to buy the iTunes gift card.

In most cases, you [U]have to[/U] anyhow since the discounted iTunes Store cards are really only available online. You can't walk into a Best Buy and get the $50 card for $40 cash.

Now if you'd like to mention iTunes Store specific discounts available via credit card-linked purchases that aren't available to iTunes gift card credit users, please feel free to present your sources. The credit card bennies like cash-back, points, airline miles, whatever all apply to iTunes gift cards purchased online with the same credit card.

My guess is that you are frustrated to learn that you have possibly wasted hundreds of dollars by using a linked credit card rather than funding your iTunes/App/iBook Store purchases with prepaid gift card at a discounted price. Sorry, but that's not my fault.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

Lol hmmm I have to agree there,

This seems like six of one and half a dozen of the other to me.  Both are after your personal information.  Both use deceptive practices to get it.  Both have poor security at the best of times.  Neither have your best interests at heart.  Neither have you as their customer, but instead are selling you as the product.  

I would argue that Facebook is actually the more honest of the two as Google will vehemently deny all of the above, but Facebook is pretty straightforward about the fact that they are screwing you around.  Google is still half-filled with folks who actually still believe they are working for a "good" company that does "good" things.  I doubt there are many coders at Facebook operating under those kind of illusions.  

• Reply 28 of 49
    rodentrodent Posts: 49member
    Facebook sucks along with Mark Fukenberg , it is a failure, ask your broker, it will haunt the kids that tell all on it for the rest of their lives. Dump Facebook !
  • Reply 29 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

If you use a debit card or iTunes gift card instead of a credit card to fund your iTunes account, you will have less leverage in disputes and if someone steals your apple id and spends all your funds, you'll very likely never see that money again. Federal law limits liability with a credit card to $50, with c.c. companies often footing the whole bill.

• Reply 30 of 49
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This seems like six of one and half a dozen of the other to me.  Both are after your personal information.  Both use deceptive practices to get it.  Both have poor security at the best of times.  Neither have your best interests at heart.  Neither have you as their customer, but instead are selling you as the product.  

I would argue that Facebook is actually the more honest of the two as Google will vehemently deny all of the above, but Facebook is pretty straightforward about the fact that they are screwing you around.  Google is still half-filled with folks who actually still believe they are working for a "good" company that does "good" things.  I doubt there are many coders at Facebook operating under those kind of illusions.  

Again they are straightforward though which is why I do not use them. Also, didn't Geohot get hired at Facebook?

• Reply 31 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

If you use a debit card or iTunes gift card instead of a credit card to fund your iTunes account, you will have less leverage in disputes and if someone steals your apple id and spends all your funds, you'll very likely never see that money again. Federal law limits liability with a credit card to $50, with c.c. companies often footing the whole bill.

So perhaps it makes sense to fund the iTunes account with the gift card just before buying something to minimize the risk. For example I have a PayPal account linked to a bank account in which I only keep a $200 balance. If I need to use it I can easily transfer money from another account .

• Reply 32 of 49
    cpsro wrote: »
    I'm willing to take that risk since I won't put more than $50 in my iTunes/Apple ID account via a gift card. And then again, if it gets stolen, it was really $40, right? ;-)

Plus, I've found that Apple's iTunes Store customer support to be pretty good, probably second to American Express.

I bought a Google Voice app for $5 and then Apple removed it from the store in the brouhaha a few years ago. I complained and Apple refunded the entire amount. No fraud, but Apple was very understanding in my disappointment with their editorial policies at the time.

Similarly, a friend of mine got a huge credit card charge from Apple because his kids racked up a bunch of in-app purchases. Apple calmly walk him through the procedure of setting parental controls and waived the charges.

None of these were federally mandated, but it's stuff like this that gets Apple placed at the top of pretty much every single customer satisfaction survey.

In summary, I don't expect to ever have to go to a credit card issuer's merchant dispute department to deal with erroneous charges from Apple. I think Apple and I can iron this out ourselves.

Trust me, I use credit cards for big ticket items (mostly for travel, extended warranty coverage and potential merchant dispute issues), especially if I'm dealing with vendors that I don't have a longtime relationship with.

With Apple's iTunes Store, it's pretty small potatoes, plus I trust them (relative to most of the other merchants I deal with).
  • Reply 33 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

...tell me why facebook integration is an important feature of IOS and how it will benefit me...

It won't benefit you.  And that's where you've missed the whole point - it's not all about you, it's about the hundreds of millions around the world who do use it.

• Reply 34 of 49

Off topic but I'm worried about Tallest Skil. We have not heard from him in well over 12 hours. /s

• Reply 35 of 49

Weird. Speak of the devil and he shows up and deletes your post. TS what is your problem?

Edit: That was a rhetorical question because I know what your problem is however I was given an infraction for stating it before so I'll just pity you this time. That's a Mr.T type of pity in case you were wondering.

• Reply 36 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Weird. Speak of the devil and he shows up and deletes your post. TS what is your problem?

Edit: That was a rhetorical question because I know what your problem is however I was given an infraction for stating it before so I'll just pity you this time. That's a Mr.T type of pity in case you were wondering.

Ha-ha! AI's esteemed "moderator" would receive best teacher award in Milgram's experiment.

Oh, stop, that hurts! image

• Reply 37 of 49

I fail to see why any of this nonsense should be allowed.

• Reply 38 of 49
    It won't benefit you.  And that's where you've missed the whole point - it's not all about you, it's about the hundreds of millions around the world who do use it.
    Forget it.

He doesn't get it. He still thinks the universe revolves around him and his personal interests. He's not really aware that there are other people with other interests, other priorities on this planet.
  • Reply 39 of 49

How about fixing God Dam perfomance issue. Apple is insane, I had Retina for two weeks it rendered my footage at speed of mac mini!

• Reply 40 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    xrcx wrote: »
    am I the only one on the planet who doesn't use facebook and cannot see how this will be helpful?

Unless you are a user beyond average I bet there are a lot of features in OS/X you don't use. This is frankly a silly complaint, no one complains about all the UNIX features the common user hardly uses. When is the last time you fired up BASH for example or wrote an involved script for that shell?

I'm not much of a user of Facebook either but I don't let it's integration bother me any more than any other feature I don't use.