High-quality images compare alleged next-gen iPhone, iPhone 4S front assemblies

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    blackbook wrote: »
    I think that is an NFC chip and Apple is trying to turn the rumor mill in the wrong direction weeks before the event.

realwarder wrote: »
    So is everyone 100% bought into these being real?  Just a thought that Apple might leak real looking parts out there to put focus away from the real phone.

I always loved it when we had no real idea what was coming...  all this is spoiling the fun!

Edit: I mean another thought is that nfc chip that is an unknown antenna/part.  It could just be fake?

AnandTech expressed thoughts on that. I tend to agree with them. Its placement make it better suited as a sheild for the in-cell display electronics, not for NFC>

antkm1 wrote: »
    It's hard to tell, because this guy in the video keeps turning the screen on the inside face, but it looks like the home button is getting significantly smaller?  anyone confirm this?  A bit jarring since I thought the home button was already just about as small as it should ever get.

As we've seen for months the forehead and chin are smaller to accommodate the larger display without increasing in length as much as display size has, so the home button has gotten a little smaller.
    I agree this new design is a big disappointment for me.  I was hoping for something that doesn't look anything like the previous model.  Still think they should revisit the elliptical shape from the 3GS, but I know that would add width to the design, however the iPod Touch has something like it already it's way more comfortable to hold than the current iPhones.

Different in what way? A hexagonal display? A non-flat display? A home button that is at the top? From an engineering standpoint this is looking like their biggest YoY change yet so how can you claim it's not different from the current model?
  • Reply 22 of 65
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

I also feel like Apple is not the same as it was 18 months ago. Frankly, I'm not sure yey whether it's for the worse or the better but anyway, it's clear that Apple is not as lean anymore as it used to be. Growing a bit concerned as I invested a lot in the ecosystem ans what used to be simple isn't really anymore (with iCloud being a real pain)

Although this conversation is a bit off the topic of the post, I agree with you.  SJ as always the overall voice of reason at Apple, or at least it sure seemed that way.  He was the one to put the hammer down when something wasn't living up to the Apple standard.  People constantly state that Apple is primarily a hardware company.  I sort of reject that notion.  They're a company selling a brand or a lifestyle.   If one or more of those pieces of the "ecosystem" isn't working they need to fix it.  My greatest fear is that it appears the software end of the ecosystem is slowly marginalizing itself to the 3rd party world and that is really the biggest problem I see.  They keep making new solutions from the software end, but don't bother to fix or improve the aspects that aren't yet perfected.  Who is going to be that voice of reason now?  I don't even think Apple has answered that question for themselves yet.

• Reply 23 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

AnandTech expressed thoughts on that. I tend to agree with them. Its placement make it better suited as a sheild for the in-cell display electronics, not for NFC>

As we've seen for months the forehead and chin are smaller to accommodate the larger display without increasing in length as much as display size has, so the home button has gotten a little smaller.

Different in what way? A hexagonal display? A non-flat display? A home button that is at the top? From an engineering standpoint this is looking like their biggest YoY change yet so how can you claim it's not different from the current model?

obviously the front display can't really get much different.  I was referring more to the leaked photos of the "uni-body" design.  It's just too close to the current models to really be considered a completely new design.  And (IMO) it's just not as comfortable to hold as the curved bodies.  They look pretty but just not as ergonomic.  As for looking too much like the iP4(S)...it's still a flat slab with radius corners, the antenna design is maintained from the iP4(s)...button design largely the same.  So IMO, it's really just a taller iPhone 4 series model.

• Reply 24 of 65
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

SJ as always the overall voice of reason at Apple, or at least it sure seemed that way.  He was the one to put the hammer down when something wasn't living up to the Apple standard.  Who is going to be that voice of reason now?  I don't even think Apple has answered that question for themselves yet.

Enough SJ worship! Remember that under SJ's watch PING was introduced, and he proudly introduced it himself during a Keynote. Do you reckon PING reflects the 'Apple standard'? Come on, could there be a bigger FAIL than PING? 

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 25 of 65

@Slurpy My future threats? I'm a troll? How on earth do you gather that from my post. Do you even know the definition. My god why am I wasting my time on you. Go back to school. Honestly.

• Reply 26 of 65
    antkm1 wrote: »
    obviously the front display can't really get much different.  I was referring more to the leaked photos of the "uni-body" design.  It's just too close to the current models to really be considered a completely new design.  And (IMO) it's just not as comfortable to hold as the curved bodies.  They look pretty but just not as ergonomic.  As for looking too much like the iP4(S)...it's still a flat slab with radius corners, the antenna design is maintained from the iP4(s)...button design largely the same.  So IMO, it's really just a taller iPhone 4 series model.

One used a metal rim with glass sandwiched on the front and back with glass for over 2 years and this new one has a mostly metal back with most of the sides being part of the back place creating an entirely new shell. In no way are the engineerings effort close or not much different. The only thing you're considering is the shape, not the design of the phone. Yes, it still has mostly flat sides instead of them being rounded but that, in no way, in this Universe, means it's the same design.

Antenna design mostly the same? So they should put the antenna back on the side thus using more internal space and making it less effective?

Button design mostly the same? What do offer as an alternative? Making them a shape and putting them in a location that is less functional for the user?

I think you've missed the point of what progress is. It's moving forward which doesn't always mean starting from scratch but making something you're currently using even better. There is a reason the wheel is still round after all these tens-of-thousands of years and not because of lazy engineers.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    williamh wrote: »
    Two thoughts: 1) The parts could be something in the supply chain for a Chinese knock-off. Not necessarily Apple parts. 2)  This screen will be much easier to replace than the screen of the iPhone 4/4S.  To replace the 4 screen, you have to completely disassemble the phone - taking out nearly everything including the logic board.  This one will be like the 3/3GS, in that you only need to remove 2 screws and lift it (and carefully detach cables.).

1) It's doubtful it's fake. We've seen these sorts of leaks for about 4 years now. There are just too many companies outside Apple, too many people, and too many components to be made for Apple to feasibly secure every single part that is made. Remember, it only takes just one part to be misplaced, improperly disposed of or stolen for us to know all about it.

2) Yes, the front access to the display should make it a lot easier to replace. It's one of the things I picked up on months ago and no one else seems to care. I feel vindicated now that someone else has noticed. I do wonder about the top and bottom of the back. That looks to be glass. It'll be harder to break and certainly won't be an issue for most if you do but it does look like it might be a pain to replace if you should need to. I also wonder about dirt getting into it with such an expansive border that doesn't look as easy to keep sealed like with the current design.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I'd be happy if Apple calls it "the iPhone". Just like "the iPad". I've had enough of this iPhone "5" nonsense …

• Reply 29 of 65

Maybe the new chip is an ANT+ receiver. How cool would that be?

• Reply 30 of 65
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    blitz1 wrote: »
    I also feel like Apple is not the same as it was 18 months ago. Frankly, I'm not sure yey whether it's for the worse or the better but anyway, it's clear that Apple is not as lean anymore as it used to be. Growing a bit concerned as I invested a lot in the ecosystem ans what used to be simple isn't really anymore (with iCloud being a real pain)

This post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but ok.

Not as lean? Apple is more lean now than its been in its entire history. iCloud? Easily the best thing to happen to iOS since it was 1st released. You're really reaching. I often wonder if some have a strange desire to desperately make shit up and find 'something wrong' with Apple post SJ, to the point of not even being able to specifically point anything out, only that they're very 'concerned. There's been absolutely no cause for concern. Also, it must have slipped your mind that SJ revealed iCloud himself. It's not a post SJ thing, and he was extremely proud of it.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

I wish apple would go back to secrecy. The rumor mill is so boring now days. We know exactly what we're getting before we get it. I just want TASTES, not the whole enchilada shoveled in my mouth!

• Reply 32 of 65
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

It's good to see that I'm not the only one who can't apply a screen protector without a million bubbles.  ;-)

• Reply 33 of 65

Still not convinced that this is real.

I don't think AI has reported that the originator of these leaked parts iLabFactory also received the CAD data blueprints.

Leaked parts is one thing - but leaked blueprints ?

However, someone who had blueprints AND access to a 3d printer / machine fabrication tools, could easily mock parts using this data.

• Reply 34 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think he just wants the curved back design of 3GS back.

• Reply 35 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Enough SJ worship! Remember that under SJ's watch PING was introduced, and he proudly introduced it himself during a Keynote. Do you reckon PING reflects the 'Apple standard'? Come on, could there be a bigger FAIL than PING? 

Yeah, he praised Mobile Me too and was the first one to tell them all that it sucked and it failed to live up to Apple standards.  Read the Bio.

• Reply 36 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by tazzuk View Post

So the 6th iPhone is a 4S with a bigger screen. Disappointed big time. Yes I'll still buy it, but what a let down.

I was going to respond to this nonsense but Slurpy already said exactly what I would, plus too many insults. So I refer you back to that.

Originally Posted by mkart4 View Post

Haven't we been seeing this same part for the last month now

Almost makes me think that this is the phone we'll be getting and not an entirely different model, you know? image

Originally Posted by tazzuk View Post

My future threats?

He meant threads. It was a typo.

I'm a troll? How on earth do you gather that from my post.

By your stereotypical lying whining that "it's the same phone as the last two years", "it will be a disappointment", and such. They say this every single iPhone release, and yet every single one sells more than the previous models combined.

My god why am I wasting my time on you. Go back to school. Honestly.

We don't allow personal insults here. If you feel there are any in Slurpy's (or anyone else's) posts, or anything else that breaks the forum rules, feel free to report them with the flag at the bottom left of said post. 

• Reply 37 of 65
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, or you're a troll.

Your kind of posts are so mind numbingly idiotic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I was going to respond to this nonsense but Slurpy already said exactly what I would, plus too many insults. So I refer you back to that.

By your stereotypical lying whining that "it's the same phone as the last two years", "it will be a disappointment", and such. They say this every single iPhone release, and yet every single one sells more than the previous models combined.

We don't allow personal insults here. If you feel there are any in Slurpy's (or anyone else's) posts, or anything else that breaks the forum rules, feel free to report them with the flag at the bottom left of said post. 

Wow... AI must be so proud of their moderator.  Great way to welcome a new poster.

Can I report you?

• Reply 38 of 65

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Wow... AI must be so proud of their moderator.  Great way to welcome a new poster.

Can I report you?

Thanks for ignoring the part of my post that addresses your complaint. I notice you didn't report any actual insults in this thread but instead chose to flag my post. Got a laugh at that. Of course you can report anyone, and should, but I'm not gonna be flying off the rails any time soon.

• Reply 39 of 65

I was going to reply to 3 or 4 separate people that were saying "This is the same design as last year, disappointed", "Apple is not the same anymore", "Without SJ, Apple is not on their game", and my favorite yet "Because I saw the design of the back of a screen for an unreleased phone, I can make an educated conclusion that Apple no longer cares about design as they used to (SJ, wink wink)".

But I was patient, and now I see others have responded almost as I would have. I'm glad to see there is still some sanity left on this forum that defends logic and rationality. I really wish all people would think before they post... ah, but then I'd lose some humor from my day.

On the article: I don't see how anyone could've thought that chip on the back of the display assembly could be NFC. A simple compare to the iPhone 4S shows a similar, albeit smaller, chip attached in about the same location. NFC is pointless to release in most countries, including many with large Apple consumer bases, as it's not ubiquitous in deployment or use. Adding chips, controllers, and cost to a device where it will be unsupported and unused for a large percentage of consumers and retailers would be a VERY poor decision. There's simply little benefit at this point in releasing NFC unless you're only releasing a device in Japan or similarly equipped region. It would be like releasing a 4G with the iPhone 4 from two years ago, there was no benefit to consumers (at least within the USA) because there was almost no 4G coverage and almost no one would've benefitted. NFC is almost like the TV industry, it relies on all these 3rd parties that control the situation and would have to jump on board to a new way of doing things that costs money to implement (when they already have a system that works) and there's no guarantee of the new business model will success.

Also, I'm glad they are making the screen bigger without enlarging the phone obscenely. I can already hear the self-praise of Tim Cook and Jonathan Ive in my head from the future keynote, "Using engineering prowess and talent only Apple could employ, we increased the display size by X percent while only increasing the device's size by Y percent. This is how you can see Apple really cares about design and how people use their phones. Meanwhile..." and queue the competition's X vs Y ratio and see how poorly they do it. :-P

• Reply 40 of 65
    Book Espana offers travel packages and give advise about things to do in Madrid, such as bullfighting, flamenco and wine tasting.
    [url=http://www.bookespana.com]things to do in madrid[/url]