High-quality images compare alleged next-gen iPhone, iPhone 4S front assemblies

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by flabber View Post

I'm sure it has the usual CPU/GPU and memory updates, but the bigger screen without making a (drastically) bigger phone would be very nice indeed… I hate the Galaxy Note with a passion, but a slightly larger screen without making the phone larger would be a welcome change. :)

Hmm...

I cannot say for American men, but Singaporeans, Chinese Malays and Thais don't mind Galaxy Note because anyone who has smartphones also carry man purses.

Why not get one for yourself too? Very handy in this coupon-clipping times too.

• Reply 42 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Wow... AI must be so proud of their moderator.  Great way to welcome a new poster.

Can I report you?

You emphasized the wrong parts of Tallest Skil's post, making him sound like he was going off on him or something. Still you almost got it right, even if you were completely wrong. The mod mentioned referring back to a comment that included insults, then advised the new user how to report violations of terms of use (such as insults). I think you read all the negative without even considering the positive. And you want to report people in your unbalanced and out of context condition?

• Reply 43 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Also, I'm glad they are making the screen bigger without enlarging the phone obscenely. I can already hear the self-praise of Tim Cook and Jonathan Ive in my head from the future keynote, "Using engineering prowess and talent only Apple could employ, we increased the display size by X percent while only increasing the device's size by Y percent. This is how you can see Apple really cares about design and how people use their phones. Meanwhile..." and queue the competition's X vs Y ratio and see how poorly they do it. :-P

Then Apple and Samsung took the same question and come up with a different answers.

Apple keep the width but streches the screen longer. Samsung keep the old propotion but make the whole screen larger. Let's see which one is better.

• Reply 44 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Hmm...

I cannot say for American men, but Singaporeans, Chinese Malays and Thais don't mind Galaxy Note because anyone who has smartphones also carry man purses.

Why not get one for yourself too? Very handy in this coupon-clipping times too.

Sadly, American men, generally speaking, cling to sexual stereotypes that would forbid anything that may be considered effeminate. Even over-the-shoulder messenger bags are many times ridiculed as a woman's purse, and I live in liberal Southern California.

Regardless, carrying a phone in a bag is less convenient that in a pocket, which is more easily accessible and, by design, always on your person.

• Reply 45 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazzuk View Post

So the iphone 5 is a 4S with a bigger screen. Disappointed big time. Yes I'll still buy it, but what a let down.

If you are disappointed then better not buy. You will just waste your money.

• Reply 46 of 65

Even over-the-shoulder messenger bags are many times ridiculed as a woman's purse, and I live in liberal Southern California.

That's nonsense (not disputing what you're saying, just what they're thinking)! They're not considered such even where I live, which is basically the polar opposite end of the spectrum. Sure, if you have a pink leather messenger bag, but not sane-colored ones. They're even the "in" thing for men around here.

• Reply 47 of 65
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for ignoring the part of my post that addresses your complaint. I notice you didn't report any actual insults in this thread but instead chose to flag my post. Got a laugh at that. Of course you can report anyone, and should, but I'm not gonna be flying off the rails any time soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

You emphasized the wrong parts of Tallest Skil's post, making him sound like he was going off on him or something. Still you almost got it right, even if you were completely wrong. The mod mentioned referring back to a comment that included insults, then advised the new user how to report violations of terms of use (such as insults). I think you read all the negative without even considering the positive. And you want to report people in your unbalanced and out of context condition?

No- I emphasized the exact part of Tallest Skil's post.  Tell me how this is "out of context".

He referred back the the comment that included the insults, then advised the new user how to report them.  You conveniently missed the part in between where he also threw an insult.

Please let me know how "your kind of posts are so mind numbingly idiotic" and "Your stereotypical lying whining" are different?  He sits there and pretends to take the high road referring him to another post (which he added reputation to and "liked" btw) and he would have said the same thing- less the insults.  But then he throws insults 2 sentences later.  My quote was completely in context.  TS Can't help himself... he has to be insulting.

On a completely unrelated note- I do find it funny that some poster's got under TS' skin after mentioning he is the first post in every thread and that he spends too much time trolling this forum.  Since then- he hasn't had one first post and hasn't reared his head often.  lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Your kind of posts are so mind numbingly idiotic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I was going to respond to this nonsense but Slurpy already said exactly what I would, plus too many insults. So I refer you back to that.

By your stereotypical lying whining that "it's the same phone as the last two years", "it will be a disappointment", and such. They say this every single iPhone release, and yet every single one sells more than the previous models combined.

We don't allow personal insults here. If you feel there are any in Slurpy's (or anyone else's) posts, or anything else that breaks the forum rules, feel free to report them with the flag at the bottom left of said post. 

• Reply 48 of 65

Quote:

Then Apple and Samsung took the same question and come up with a different answers.

Apple keep the width but streches the screen longer. Samsung keep the old propotion but make the whole screen larger. Let's see which one is better.

Sorry, that last bit about the keynote was a bit of sarcasm on my part, I should have made that more clear. Apple's current display ratio has been 3:2 since they built a phone. Samsung, by and large, has kept a 16:9 aspect ratio. So Apple enlarging the screen by lengthening it to a 16:9 ratio was an easy way for them to change display size. And that's why Samsung has to enlarge the screen in both directions, to maintain that 16:9 aspect ration.

• Reply 49 of 65

Quote:

Sadly, American men, generally speaking, cling to sexual stereotypes that would forbid anything that may be considered effeminate. Even over-the-shoulder messenger bags are many times ridiculed as a woman's purse, and I live in liberal Southern California.

I think it is more of a habits than conveniences. Most smartphones still ring loud enough to be heard above city noises, put them in the front compartment helps too. Candy bar phones usually go into belt pounches rather than pockets. Unzipping the purse for a phone is just natural for Asian men, that's all.

• Reply 50 of 65

On a completely unrelated note- I do find it funny that some poster's got under TS' skin after mentioning he is the first post in every thread and that he spends too much time trolling this forum.  Since then- he hasn't had one first post and hasn't reared his head often.  lol

Other than this not being the case, you're absolutely right. 

Yeah, this sort of nonsense is unacceptable. I was right in the first place; should never have second-guessed myself.

• Reply 51 of 65
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

That music! I have never been so moved. Bravo, sir, you are a hero!

• Reply 52 of 65

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

That music! I have never been so moved. Bravo, sir, you are a hero!

Taken as itself, the music isn't too bad. I liked it, at least. But there's no real explanation for it as the backdrop for an iPhone parts video, unless we take the definition that this is the music that will be played at the funeral of Android after this iPhone is released.

• Reply 53 of 65

Quote:

No- I emphasized the exact part of Tallest Skil's post.  Tell me how this is "out of context".

He referred back the the comment that included the insults, then advised the new user how to report them.  You conveniently missed the part in between where he also threw an insult.

Please let me know how "your kind of posts are so mind numbingly idiotic" and "Your stereotypical lying whining" are different?  He sits there and pretends to take the high road referring him to another post (which he added reputation to and "liked" btw) and he would have said the same thing- less the insults.  But then he throws insults 2 sentences later.  My quote was completely in context.  TS Can't help himself... he has to be insulting. 

I think the only word he should not have used was "lying" as that would imply the new user was being disingenuous about his opinion. However, you can characterize the new user's opinion as stereotypical whining that happens every year a new phone is going to be released. As for the "mind numbingly idiotic" statement, that was a comment/insult about general posts like the one the new user posted, not about the owner of the post, or at least I assume so as I'm not Tallest Skil (but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise). Perhaps I'm giving him too much liberty, but if so, you aren't giving him enough. Hence my "unbalanced and out of context" statement.

• Reply 54 of 65

Quote:

I think it is more of a habits than conveniences. Most smartphones still ring loud enough to be heard above city noises, put them in the front compartment helps too. Candy bar phones usually go into belt pounches rather than pockets. Unzipping the purse for a phone is just natural for Asian men, that's all.

It is funny how smartphone companies are trying to reduce the number of steps it takes to access a phone's functions via their software, yet increasing the size of the phone increases the number of steps it takes to physically access the phone.

For example, reaching around to a bag that is not always in the same orientation on the body, unzipping a compartment, locating the phone in the compartment, removing the phone from the compartment while repositioning the phone into the upright position in the hand. That's a lot of steps to take before even accessing the lock screen. Meanwhile, if the phone is in a pants pocket, you reach into the pocket and pull out the phone. Two steps. Much faster.

And all of that is before you consider the ergonomics of one-handed phone use. The goal of every manufacturer should be to create a phone that is as small as possible with a display as large as possible. Admittedly, Apple still employs a rather large top and bottom bezel compared with some of its competitors, but they are using their own styling as every other company is.

• Reply 55 of 65
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

AnandTech expressed thoughts on that. I tend to agree with them. Its placement make it better suited as a sheild for the in-cell display electronics, not for NFC.

I will note that it's placement is in the coveted top "window" on the back of the device. And NFC antennas aren't really antennas as much as they are inducers, and different rules tend to apply in that respect. And while we're on that subject, I think too much consideration is being given to the "optimum" antenna design. Keep in mind that the range we want is best measured in inches, not feet, yards, or miles, which tends to dispel the "22-meter long" antenna requirement. (Or 11m dp.)

• Reply 56 of 65

Quote:

It is funny how smartphone companies are trying to reduce the number of steps it takes to access a phone's functions via their software, yet increasing the size of the phone increases the number of steps it takes to physically access the phone.

If you keep in a purse, a phone perhaps an inch taller isn't going to make much difference. And all of the assumes you're not one of those people whose phone has already been permanently welded to their hands.

One might also point out that in the case of NFC, we're replacing a credit card that is almost certainly stored in a wallet and in a pocket or purse. Unlike the aforementioned phone that's probably already at hand...

• Reply 57 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

If you keep in a purse, a phone perhaps an inch taller isn't going to make much difference. And all of the assumes you're not one of those people whose phone has already been permanently welded to their hands...

My point was that the larger the phone the less likely you can fit it in your pants pocket. You would have to agree that physically accessing a phone from a pants pocket is much easier and more convenient than accessing it from a bag you're carrying.

I concede if you already carry a phone in a bag, it doesn't matter much how big it is, but then why not just get a tablet with telephony?

• Reply 58 of 65

Quote:

My point was that the larger the phone the less likely you can fit it in your pants pocket. You would have to agree that physically accessing a phone from a pants pocket is much easier and more convenient than accessing it from a bag you're carrying.

I concede if you already carry a phone in a bag, it doesn't matter much how big it is, but then why not just get a tablet with telephony?

That's probably another reason why Apple made the phone taller, but not significantly wider (like the Note).

And part of the tablet issue is that it looks stupid holding one up to your ear. You'd need a headset or a dick tracy watch with mic/speaker. All that said, I remember a day when lots of people wandered around with a Day Planner or Filofax in their hands. Walking around with, say, a 7" tablet isn't that far removed.

What we REALLY need, IMHO, is a way to own a phone AND a tablet AND a computer, all with the same "number", and the ability to route calls and messages to the device... err... at hand.

• Reply 59 of 65
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

...I remember a day when lots of people wandered around with a Day Planner or Filofax in their hands. Walking around with, say, a 7" tablet isn't that far removed...

my preferred medium for note taking is a Mead 5"x8" lined notepad.  Oddly enough, it's almost the same size as the rumored iPad Mini.  However I've always thought it was too small.  Granted an 8.5"x11" is just too big most times when at meetings.  but that's off topic.

• Reply 60 of 65

I also am just a little skeptical of these photos. The reason is Cook said Apple was doubling down on security. Now we've seen what allegedly is the entire iPhone. But not one part of the alleged new iPad mini(or whatever it will be called)? So captain obvious says either there isn't going to be an iPad mini or they really are doubling down on security and we're all being flim-flammed on this one. I will buy what ever it looks like and be happy but if it were me, I'd like just a little wider phone.