Parallels 8 launches for existing owners with Retina display, Windows 8 support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

FYI - I took the plunge and installed it, they have 'experimental' DX10 support.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Yeah, I heard from a Parallels rep on their Forums that DX10 is there. I am curious to see how it works for people, and also if there is any difference in DX10 between 10.7 host and 10.8. The rep said that 10.7.4 or above is required, and the HD6xxx cards in my MBP and iMac should handle it. Now I just need to hear about stability from some gamers before I risk my work machines. So John, please post back with comments asap! ;-)

But given that my needs in Revit are minimal (Autodesk products being a joke when it comes to leveraging hardware in general) my hope is that PD 8 finally allows for anti-aliasing and perhaps a little faster modeling environment. Crossed fingers.

Gordon

• Reply 22 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post

Yeah, I heard from a Parallels rep on their Forums that DX10 is there. I am curious to see how it works for people, and also if there is any difference in DX10 between 10.7 host and 10.8. The rep said that 10.7.4 or above is required, and the HD6xxx cards in my MBP and iMac should handle it. Now I just need to hear about stability from some gamers before I risk my work machines. So John, please post back with comments asap! ;-)

But given that my needs in Revit are minimal (Autodesk products being a joke when it comes to leveraging hardware in general) my hope is that PD 8 finally allows for anti-aliasing and perhaps a little faster modeling environment. Crossed fingers.

Gordon

Sorry man, the only gaming I do is WOW on the Mac client. 

All humor about 'snappiness' aside, windows does seem a bit quicker and there are a couple of nice features they've added.  There's a bug being reported in their forums which I'm also experiancing where you can't seem to type in coherence mode in Windows 7, Windows 8 doesn't have the problem.  You might want to wait a couple of days for them to patch that before installing if you work in coherence a lot.  I do have to say, once we started complaining in their support forum, they picked it up pretty quickly.

• Reply 23 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Am I the only one who like to keep Windows VM completely isolated from his main OS X? I always find it annoying that the default setting for new VM in Parallels is for VM and Mac OS integration.

There are at least two of us, because that is how I run Parallels.  I keep the VM in its own window.

Another thing I find annoying is the continual succession of upgrades at $50-$70 or so for each upgrade.

I started with Parallels in 2006.  I think I've gone through five upgrades now.  Now another one.

Does Fusion do this to its users?  

Meanwhile, I get OS X for $20!

• Reply 24 of 36

Hmm, if you risked a production machine.... ;)

I am headed back to the states next week, hopefully there is a first patch out by then, and I can upgrade before I get back to nose to grindstone.

As for Coherence, I gave up previously, because performance was so bad. Maybe now it will work well enough to use. Certainly worth trying with each new release and build, if only to maintain a sense of optimism. ;)

Gordon

• Reply 25 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDDave View Post

Meanwhile, I get OS X for $20!

Yes, but Apple also made a good thousand $ selling the hardware that we use to run that $20 copy of the OS. Parallels only makes money on the software sales. I am happy to pay Parallels if there is actual value. Hell, I would LOVE to pay them $100 a year and get full GPU passthrough like the Windows Parallels Workstation offers. I mean, just maintenance on my Autodesk software is over $700 every single year, and that is after paying $5000 to start with! But yeah, I would be pissed if all I wanted Parallels for was to play some game. Part of the reason I wish they would split development. Charge me more and give me better performance AND stability, but only in modern OS's, say Windows 7 and later. Charge less for a consumer/gamer version where time and energy is pissed away making sure some stupid game runs in MS Bob. ;)

Gordon

• Reply 26 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebensmuede View Post

Every time they deliver such an upgrade they promise "snappier performance, 30% faster". Sometimes I wonder how much of that is really true...

So this is yet another "paid" upgrade from the chief virtualization milkers - no, thanks. I bought Parallels 6 not so long ago (in 2011) and it's already incompatible with ML - so now one has to fork out 3x the price of ML just to install it with Apple's latest OS?

Just check the Parallels for Mac forums - the uproar against such "mandatory" annual paid upgrades is palpable. Their customer service practices, pathetic.

• Reply 27 of 36
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by payeco View Post

Did they remove the ridiculous ads paying customers were subjected to in the last version?

This is what I wondered as well.  Unthinkable for a paid product...

• Reply 28 of 36
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by payeco View Post

Did they remove the ridiculous ads paying customers were subjected to in the last version?

I'm on my third upgrade of parallels. It's a great product, but I have never seen a single ad. I don't know what you are referring to.... Though it is annoying to pay so much for an upgrade. Re-donk-ulous....

• Reply 29 of 36
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDDave View Post

Another thing I find annoying is the continual succession of upgrades at $50-$70 or so for each upgrade.

I started with Parallels in 2006.  I think I've gone through five upgrades now.  Now another one.

Does Fusion do this to its users?  

Fusion just went to version 5, and the first version came out roughly a year after the first version of Parallels.  So major upgrades happen a bit less frequently.

Also, I was able to skip Fusion 4 without any problems. So it's been a little over two years since I paid for a Fusion upgrade, which is about right in my books.

• Reply 30 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

It sounds like there's something wrong with your install, that's always worked and I use Parallels in coherence 9+ hours a day for work.  In fact nothing you mentioned is an issue for me.

How? Coherence doesn't exist for Mac guests. Only for Windows.

But from this link it looks like several of my complaints are addressed in version 8 (including Coherence) so I think I'll take the plunge.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/114669

• Reply 31 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

Sweet, a few other things in that list I like. Shared drive showing up as a native drive being one. If DX10 allows for anti-aliasing in Revit I am going to be very happy with this upgrade.

Gordon

• Reply 32 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebensmuede View Post

Every time they deliver such an upgrade they promise "snappier performance, 30% faster". Sometimes I wonder how much of that is really true...

Every computer is only as fast as the operating system running it. Parallels runs Windows...

The problem is not Parallels but Windows.

As for DirectX support that's largely down to the system used by Parallels to convert DirectX to OpenGL. Currently my understanding is that these open source systems don't support DirectX 10 because it hasn't been reversed engineered yet.

Incidentally this is not specific to Parallels because the same thing is the case for VMWare which is much slower and less easy to use than Parallels in my experience.

That being said I do like to do comparisons with each release. I will be installing VMWare today and compare it to Parallels today and when the upgrade comes. The reality is that I pretty much come back to Parallels every time. I'm not biased it's just that VMWare doesn't suit me although it is such a great product. It is slower than Parallels and it doesn't integrate with OS X as nicely as Parallels does. Neither is perfect though and ultimately it comes down to what you need or prefer.

• Reply 33 of 36

"for owners of current Parallels customers"

Damn, I sold my Parallels customer only last week. He was good to have around for a while, typing, cooking etc, but just had to sell him.

• Reply 34 of 36
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

I like how these as new features:

- Run OS X Mountain Lion in a virtual machine.

- Create an OS X Mountain Lion virtual machine using the recovery partition.

Few weeks ago I tried to install ML as a virtual machine with Parallels 7 and it didn't work. I emailed them and they said Mountain Lion as guest is not supported. It turns out they have lowered the default VM setting for Mountain Lion so that it will not work. All I did was change the configuration to dual core and 2GB RAM and ML server was up and running on Parallels 7!

• Reply 35 of 36
    tpuntpun Posts: 3member

Just upgraded to Parallels 8  and guess what?   ( Using Mountain Lion Mac OS 10.8)  Dictation with the "function" "function" key activation works on the Window 7 side of the Mac!!!   So happy about it.    I think it is a bit slower than the Mac side but it works pretty much just the same...  very promising !

• Reply 36 of 36

I just installed Parallels 8.  It absolutely does what they promise.  There is DX10 support, though they note that this support is "experimental".  As far as 30% faster, I'd say this is conservative.  It seems to start and stop easily twice as fast.  The integration with Mountain Lion is great.  To be ale to use all the Mac gestures on Windows applications is a nice feature, as is the ability to now put launch icons on the dock.  Files drag and drop anywhere.  I feel the price of the upgrade was well worth it.  And no, I do not work for Parallels or any other computer company.