BMW designer says Apple made white the most popular color for car buyers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

Apple has been buying a lot of product placement in movies, sitcoms, etc. Seriously, pay attention to every computer you see when watching TV - I'll bet close to 100% will be Apple products.

Apple doesn't pay for product placement. There was an article written about it a while ago; how much free publicity Apple gets.

Apple's products are prominent in media because they are often the most used behind the scenes and they are nice to look at as well.

It's also funny how the good guys use Apple products and the bad guys use some off brand Wintel machine.

• Reply 22 of 64

I have noticed that white is more popular of late. It's why I bought a sky type blue color when I bought my Prius in June

• Reply 23 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

It's a demonstrable fact that people in general let their emotional responses at least somewhat influence their purchasing decisions, just like everything else they do. 

Once again, I am aware of that, however the psychology of car color choice has been studied pretty extensively and the conclusions generally go in unrelated directions. I'm also not saying it *can't* happen for someone, but to draw that kind of conclusion without even a simple dealer survey leaves his opinion baseless, not to mention other surveys dispute his own claim to begin with that white hasn't overtaken silver. 

• Reply 24 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Didn't he mean to say Dieter Rams. j/k
  • Reply 25 of 64
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    I still say cars ought to be matte. Instead of trying to stand out in the landscape, they should strive to harmonise and blend in, and there are few things in nature (or even in cities) that are highly reflective (water of course, but cars rarely travel on water).

(And yes, I realise that the glossy lacquer is less vulnerable.)
  • Reply 26 of 64
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Knowing that BMW is a very serious car company and knowing that they don't leave any decisions to random chance in their business I think it is safe to say that even though McGill offered no proof, the statement he made is most likely backed by research on BMW's part.  I worked for a while with the BMW USA ad agency and that car company knows everything about their customers.  Huge amounts of research is done to know what they want and why.  Everything BMW did regarding advertising and branding was totally buttoned up and controlled - more than any other company I have had contact with.  Except maybe Apple - heh.

So if McGill says Apple had an influence on color preference, I'm thinking he's not lying.  Of course this kind of research is kept very secret so I doubt under any circumstances would they reveal how they came to such a conclusion.

• Reply 27 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

White is one of the most boring colors for a car... right next to Toyota Camry Beige. One exception maybe is pearlescent white.

Really?

http://www.roogio.com/images/White-Lamborghini-Aventador-LP700-4-at-Geneva-right-side-view.jpg

• Reply 28 of 64
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Oh yes, choose one of the most outrageously styled Italian supercars to make your point...

The most popular car in America in its most popular trim, the LE:

Should I call the Maytag man? image

• Reply 29 of 64
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

I personally went the other direction: I got a tempest blue VW and now I'm matching other items with it (e.g. my iPad case).

I hate the concept that people pick colours based on moods or trends.  For as long as I can remember, I've always been attracted to mid-to-dark blues (light orange being a close second).  Regardless of what fashionista marketers are trying to convince everyone of.

• Reply 30 of 64
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Our family has owned 4 BMW's over the past decade. Two of them have been white. White was chosen because the car genuinely looked good in it. Ironically the one member of my immediate family using an iPhone, my sister, hated the white cars. Her BMW is red.
  • Reply 31 of 64

BULL.

White was already super popular for many cars. Lots of them due to historical racing colours. e.g. Japan - Honda: Championship white with a red interior.

BMWs have three "free" colour choices: White, black and red, all non-metallic.

• Reply 32 of 64
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

BMWs have three "free" colour choices: White, black and red, all non-metallic.

Probably all $450/month 3-Series lease specials ;)

• Reply 33 of 64

BMWs with colours other than white and black cost an extra few hundreds.  I have a white BMW 1 series myself, but my preference was actually dark grey.

• Reply 34 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Oh yes, choose one of the most outrageously styled Italian supercars to make your point...

The most popular car in America in its most popular trim, the LE:

Should I call the Maytag man? image

Do you really believe that it is the color that makes this car boring?

• Reply 35 of 64

I have no intention of being disparaging about choices of employment and related skills attached to types of work, etc... but I strongly suspect those on this forum agreeing with the original proposition have the more "creative" jobs (artistically and design-wise) amongst us.

• Reply 36 of 64
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    chadmatic wrote: »
    Do you really believe that it is the color that makes this car boring?

4271794297_075ba73fb8.jpg

I wouldn't have it in any other color. AFAIK alpine white has been the promotional color of the m3. Telling when BMW uses white to showoff their flagship car.
  • Reply 37 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I wouldn't have it in any other color. AFAIK alpine white has been the promotional color of the m3. Telling when BMW uses white to showoff their flagship car.

I completely agree.

• Reply 38 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

4271794297_075ba73fb8.jpg

It's absolutely beautiful... could be a tinge lower though ;)

In response to the topic, I think white has become a look of "prestige" overall. Its clean, simple, and very modern looking (again in general). I think Apple appealed to this concept wen marketing their entire brand (not just the phone) and I think BMW is simply appealing to the same ideals...as are most companies as of late. The color itself is the influencer... Apple might've just been the first to utilize it on a large scale and others are simply catching up... just a thought... could be completely wrong haha

• Reply 39 of 64

Actually, yeah, really. That car would look a lot better in red, black or yellow.

• Reply 40 of 64

Can't say I get it, but I always favor the non-white version of Apple stuff. Like they say, once you go black (iPhone), you never go back. My own two cars are fire engine red and "Windveil Blue" which seemed a bit of a fluffy name for a muscle car color, but there it is.

So what drove the demand for silver cars prior to this? Titanium Powerbooks?