Apple's iOS 6 3D Flyovers aim to be more helpful, less creepy than Google Street View

Comments

• Reply 101 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So we don't get street view because of politics between Apple and Google? I thought Apple was all about providing the best consumer experience. Does an iPhone user really give a shit if their maps are coming from Google or in-house from Apple? No they just want the best experience possible and right now that is street view, not flyover.

I don't know if Apple ever said that we won't get street view...  but, obviously it isn't there, now, in the iOS 6 developer release.  I suspect that Apple will continue to support iOS 5 (and iOS 5 maps with street view) and continue whatever licensing arrangement they have with Google for the data.

Also, consider that the iOS 5 maps app is written and maintained by Apple.  With a proper licensing agreement, Apple could easily drop the iOS 5 street view code into the iOS 6 Maps app.

It may be that Google pays Apple to use their map data/servers -- similar how they pay Apple for searches from iOS devices.

• Reply 102 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Streetview is also useful to virtually explore the world, such as the Kennedy Space Center or shelters used by Antarctic explorers. The other day I was poking around inside the White House with Street View.

Frankly, I think Google has the best free mapping apps available. Maps has Street View, 45-degree oblique imagery (similar to Bing's Birds-Eye view), Streetview, internal building maps, walking, biking, and transit directions. Earth has 3D. There's no need to choose, or write long-winded "articles" like this justifying the lack of features.

I agree with your evaluation of the article!

However, this thread is about iOS map apps and the features you mention are not available on the iOS 5 maps app...  I don't know anything about the Android maps app.

• Reply 103 of 171
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Daniel Dilger would argue that red is blue if it helped show Apple in an positive light. 

He is to tech journalism what creationists are to science.

• Reply 104 of 171
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Daniel Dilger would argue that red is blue if it helped show Apple in an positive light. 

He is to tech journalism what creationists are to science.

I guess its appropriate you'd resort to name bashing rather than attempting raise a coherent argument supporting your beliefs. One requires effort, the other is what lazy people with unsupportable positions do.

"Join me in hating a very bad person who is bad all the time, no need to even consider why! He's just the same as a common enemy."

The internet deserves better than you. 

• Reply 105 of 171
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Great idea, but UPS doesn't necessarily touch every street, path in the country...I presume? Although they could be paid to.

However the USPS does touch every street(at least with a delivery address).

But your general point is valid, why hire your own fleet when there are others out there that could be equipt to do so and in theory cheaper. Same for foreign countries.

This again is just not feasible. Why set up a UPS or USPS mail truck with expensive photo equipment when that truck is simply going to drive up and down the same streets everyday. When you hire a dedicated mapping vehicle it does not remap that same street for a couple years. The investment in one rig can map thousands of streets. To map thousands of streets with a USPS truck you would need hundreds of camera rigs that would go completely unused after the first day. Not only that but these rigs need qualified operators. The USPS delivery person many times parks their truck at the end of the street and services the neighborhoods on foot and really don't have time to fiddle around with a camera while they are doing their real job.

• Reply 106 of 171

I'm pretty impressed at how Apple's software not only applies photographic faces to the 3D model, but also removes people and cars on streets.

• Reply 107 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Apple and Google working together probably would create some kind of rip in the space time continuum and destroy the universe!

In that case, we should all be dead right now. You do know they have been working together, still are and will continue to do so on many things, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

I am pretty sure that was Apple's plan all along until Google decided to roll out Android.

Apple couldn't have planned to merge bird's eye data before Android because they only acquired C3 a year ago.

• Reply 108 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This again is just not feasible. Why set up a UPS or USPS mail truck with expensive photo equipment when that truck is simply going to drive up and down the same streets everyday. When you hire a dedicated mapping vehicle it does not remap that same street for a couple years. The investment in one rig can map thousands of streets. To map thousands of streets with a USPS truck you would need hundreds of camera rigs that would go completely unused after the first day. Not only that but these rigs need qualified operators. The USPS delivery person many times parks their truck at the end of the street and services the neighborhoods on foot and really don't have time to fiddle around with a camera while they are doing their real job.

Good point. Furthermore, why are people suggesting alternatives at this point? Google has done a fairly comprehensive job of mapping the world already. Anyone who can do a better job should ... just do it.

• Reply 109 of 171
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I guess its appropriate you'd resort to name bashing rather than attempting raise a coherent argument supporting your beliefs. One requires effort, the other is what lazy people with unsupportable positions do.

I've grown bored of raising coherent points with you. Your position isn't reasonable or logical, so why should I bother using reason and logic?

And why don't you use your real name on here, Daniel?
  • Reply 110 of 171
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Apple couldn't have planned to merge bird's eye data before Android because they only acquired C3 a year ago.

No, what I meant was that the original plan was to let Google handle all of these data services while Apple focused on iOS/Hardware.

Android changed that dynamic.

• Reply 111 of 171
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Spin it however you want but 3D and Streetview serve very different purposes.  And the latter is far more useful to the average consumer.  Actually, the 2D plain map (no terrain or satellite view) and Streetview is the best way to research where you are going. 

3D is visually nice.  Functionally?  How much does it add?

The best part about iOS6 Maps will be native navigation.  The worst part will be the sub-par database.  And that's why if Google does offer Google Maps as a Standalone app, you'll quickly see it become standard on most iPhones.  After all, the most important thing about a map is the information on it.  Not how pretty it is.

• Reply 112 of 171
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Spin it how you want, but working in NYC I can tell you that iOS 6's maps app is way, way less useful than iOS 5. It will be a dramatic downgrade. No subway directions, no street view so you know what the storefront looks like... GPS doesn't work great in the city anyway... I expect Apple to have a PR nightmare on its hands next month...

But isn't it amazing that you now know what your neighbour is hiding on his roof?

• Reply 113 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Spin it however you want but 3D and Streetview serve very different purposes.  And the latter is far more useful to the average consumer.  Actually, the 2D plain map (no terrain or satellite view) and Streetview is the best way to research where you are going. 

3D is visually nice.  Functionally?  How much does it add?

The best part about iOS6 Maps will be native navigation.  The worst part will be the sub-par database.  And that's why if Google does offer Google Maps as a Standalone app, you'll quickly see it become standard on most iPhones.  After all, the most important thing about a map is the information on it.  Not how pretty it is.

As I posted earlier, iOS6 3D plain map view (no terrain or satellite view) is easier to use and much faster than  iOS 5 2D map view.

Edit:

Here's a series of photos looking up Lombard Street towards Coit Tower in iOS 6 3D Map Standard View.

As you zoom in the detail changes and you see outlines of buildings.  It's a little hard to describe, but with 2 fingers you can pinch-zoom, pan, rotate in a fluid motion.  As you rotate, the names rotate with you.  The series of views (and everything in between) was all done on an iPad 2 with 2 fingers that never left the screen -- once you get used to the power of this it is hard to go back to the old iOS 5 map app.  During the panning, zooming and rotating there were no blank tiles or any delays -- it just moved with you!

If you're in 3D mode and zoom out far enough -- say, from 3D San Francisco, into the Bay area, it leaves 3D Mode (it's  of no use).  So, when you pan down to, say, San Jose and zoom in -- it re-enters 3D mode automatically... just like you'd want it to do.

I like this map capability better than any other I've tried.

• Reply 114 of 171
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

"Join me in hating a very bad person who is bad all the time, no need to even consider why! He's just the same as a common enemy."

There's no need to list everything wrong in this absurd article because it's errors are immediately evident to anyone with a functional brain cell. If DED said that the earth was flat there would be no need to point out how wrong he was, because EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS IT.  What he has written is not controversial or edgy, it's just a pack of lies, and everyone knows it.

This article is beyond ridiculous. If anyone at AA thinks for a second it will be taken seriously they are massively deluded. Just read the comment thread here, - when even hardcore Apple fans call you out for spouting rubbish, then you're onto a loser. The article should be pulled and DED should be fired. He's become a parody of himself, a 'writer' so biased, so ludicrously one sided as to be utterly worthless. Ditch him.

• Reply 115 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

There's no need to list everything wrong in this absurd article because it's errors are immediately evident to anyone with a functional brain cell. If DED said that the earth was flat there would be no need to point out how wrong he was, because EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS IT.  What he has written is not controversial or edgy, it's just a pack of lies, and everyone knows it.

This article is beyond ridiculous. If anyone at AA thinks for a second it will be taken seriously they are massively deluded. Just read the comment thread here, - when even hardcore Apple fans call you out for spouting rubbish, then you're onto a loser. The article should be pulled and DED should be fired. He's become a parody of himself, a 'writer' so biased, so ludicrously one sided as to be utterly worthless. Ditch him.

He should go into politics... Oh, wait...

• Reply 116 of 171
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As I posted earlier, iOS6 3D plain map view (no terrain or satellite view) is easier to use and much faster than  iOS 5 2D map view.

Edit:

Here's a series of photos looking up Lombard Street towards Coit Tower in iOS 6 3D Map Standard View.

As you zoom in the detail changes and you see outlines of buildings.  It's a little hard to describe, but with 2 fingers you can pinch-zoom, pan, rotate in a fluid motion.  As you rotate, the names rotate with you.  The series of views (and everything in between) was all done on an iPad 2 with 2 fingers that never left the screen -- once you get used to the power of this it is hard to go back to the old iOS 5 map app.  During the panning, zooming and rotating there were no blank tiles or any delays -- it just moved with you!

If you're in 3D mode and zoom out far enough -- say, from 3D San Francisco, into the Bay area, it leaves 3D Mode (it's  of no use).  So, when you pan down to, say, San Jose and zoom in -- it re-enters 3D mode automatically... just like you'd want it to do.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I honestly don't understand how anyone could possibly prefer Google Maps in iOS 5 to Apple Maps in iOS 6 Beta 4.

Apple Maps automatically provides potential matches to typed searches

Street names are much more visible

Upon zooming out, Apple Maps displays names of neighborhood rather than every... single... street... name

Google traffic displays a constantly flashing unintelligible criss-cross of red-yellow-green lines

Google traffic doesn't display road construction or accidents

Business listings are nearly impossible to see

Key points-of-interest are difficult to see (airports, hospitals)

and so on...

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 117 of 171
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] Flyover certainly isn't the same as StreetView; the detail is rougher and often morphed or distorted. Apple doesn't have to blur faces or license places in Flyover because you can't make out details at that level anyway. [...]

Then, if it isn't the same, and the purposes aren't the same, why write this article like if Flyover makes StreetView obsolete?

If I wish to know how an address is, I don't want a continuous flyover over a big area with low-quality imagery data, no matter how cool it is. I want such a level of detail that makes it necessary to blur faces or license plates. So, such need to blur is not a disadvantage (as you seem to imply), but the consequence of the level of detail I wish to have.

I use StreetView for both my work (as an architect), and for my spare time (for travel planning), and it's a tool that really helps me, and no, it can't be substituted by the flyover feature you mention here, because they're different features, with different purposes, just like you admitted.

I'm an OSX user (three OSX machines), but I don't have any smartphone/tablet at this time. I was considering either the iPad or the iPhone as my next purchase but, if I'm going to lack StreetView, I'm sorry but I'll choose a non-Apple product.

And you dare to say GoogleEarth is "creepy"? Do you mean it's creepier than the AppStore and the recent Apple strategy to forbid Google to provide iOS users with superb StreetView experience?

A word to Apple: You've done a lot of money with iOS. So, I believe you've the resources to ship a camera-car to every street in the whole World, and beat Google's StreetView. But, please, if you want to knock Google, just knock Google, and not us your iOS users: First knock Google by developing a real alternative to StreetView. And then kill StreetView if you wish, but don't kill SV first, as then you leave us without a feature we want to have. As I said, I won't purchase any iOS device if it lacks StreetView.

• Reply 118 of 171
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you never use any sort of map for anything? You automatically know where every street?

Do you know realize the benefit of Street View that allows you get information about a location without actually going to that street. Example: "What was the name of that [insert business name] we were at when we were in [insert city name] last [insert previous time frame]?"

Actually I use maps all the times, both paper street and topographically maps as well as electronic. I look at them and look at where I am, then go on may way to where I need to be. I could care less what the it looks likes before I get there. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think there's no argument that Google maps is flawed in it's location finding.  And personally I have an excellent sense of direction.  Everyone who knows me will confirm that.  But in general, most people don't have such a good skill.  Consider when you're on the subway and need to know what your surroundings look like upon exiting, street view is much more helpful than fly-over.  Many times, the subway exits will have you turned around if you don't know where you're going.  I travel a lot and usually when I go out to explore, I have the street view pulled up so I know what I'm looking for.  Makes finding places much easier when I know what the building looks like when driving/walking up to it.  And sometimes the roads can have traffic and speeds that hinder looking around, searching for addresses.  So being able to quickly glance for a building rather than an Address makes more sense in those cases.

I am not saying it does not have a use, but people need to stop becoming reliant on these systems because they are not always right and or available all the time. When you find one things wrong with data systems like map programs sending to the wrong place you can not trust any of what it tells you. This is why people get lost following these systems and what you hear about people ending up in bad places because the followed the system blindly. People are too trusting or forgiving of systems which they know or have experience with knowing it is wrong

I too have been in some of the largest subway systems in the world include NYC and Tokyo and understand coming out any number exit and then having to quickly figure out to get where I am to where I need to be. I will always trust my person reasoning and problem solving over using a known flawed system. 

Anyway, Google balls and whistles are nice, but not necessary and apples understands this and they probably know a large % of user do not rely on street view or walking direction. I personally never seen anyone walk around a big city with their phone out following direction as they walk.

• Reply 119 of 171

Edit:

I honestly don't understand how anyone could possibly prefer Google Maps in iOS 5 to Apple Maps in iOS 6 Beta 4.

Apple Maps automatically provides potential matches to typed searches
    Street names are much more visible
    Upon zooming out, Apple Maps displays names of neighborhood rather than every... single... street... name
    Google traffic displays a constantly flashing unintelligible criss-cross of red-yellow-green lines
    Google traffic doesn't display road construction or accidents
    Business listings are nearly impossible to see
    Key points-of-interest are difficult to see (airports, hospitals)

and so on...

Exactly! Except for the missing Street view capability there's no going back to iOS 5 maps.

I just checked the find iPhone app and it uses the same map capability on iOS six as the maps app. However it doesn't have rotate or the same level of zoom that the maps app does. I hope they add that in the future. Also I'd like to see some sort of continuous tracking app -- with proper authorization of course.
  • Reply 120 of 171
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

• if you're looking for a specific location but don't know which side of the street it's on, can't see that very clearly from fly-over.

It is customary to have odd numbered buildings on one side of the street and even the other, they usually go outwards from a centre point, usually a post office.

They figured this back in the olden days when they weren't expecting people demanding to be spoon fed everything instead of figuring things out for themselves.