BMW designer says Apple made white the most popular color for car buyers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm having a really hard time believing this. Why would Apple's use of white for a cell phone and tablet influence car buying decisions?

You mean you don't try to choose your car to match the color of your iPhone? Tsk tsk ...

• Reply 42 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by TapitZac View Post

It's absolutely beautiful... could be a tinge lower though ;)

In response to the topic, I think white has become a look of "prestige" overall. Its clean, simple, and very modern looking (again in general). I think Apple appealed to this concept wen marketing their entire brand (not just the phone) and I think BMW is simply appealing to the same ideals...as are most companies as of late. The color itself is the influencer... Apple might've just been the first to utilize it on a large scale and others are simply catching up... just a thought... could be completely wrong haha

White as a color of prestige for consumer electronics makes sense because it was rare before the iPod (especially the true shade of white). On cars, white has been available for a long time and I am not sure it has quite the same status.

• Reply 43 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Knowing that BMW is a very serious car company and knowing that they don't leave any decisions to random chance in their business ...

Historically and generally speaking, I agree. But I do remember the fiasco that was the rear spoiler that started on the 7-series almost 10 years ago. It looked glued on and caused quite the negative reaction. To their credit, they have blended it in better over the years but it sure looked random at first glance.

• Reply 44 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I still say cars ought to be matte. Instead of trying to stand out in the landscape, they should strive to harmonise and blend in, and there are few things in nature (or even in cities) that are highly reflective (water of course, but cars rarely travel on water).

(And yes, I realise that the glossy lacquer is less vulnerable.)

My kids rave about matte. For some of us, matte will be forever associated with primer and therefore unfinished.

• Reply 45 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Oh yes, choose one of the most outrageously styled Italian supercars to make your point...

The most popular car in America in its most popular trim, the LE:

Should I call the Maytag man? image

The most popular car in America is the Ford F-series truck :)

• Reply 46 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Apple doesn't pay for product placement. There was an article written about it a while ago; how much free publicity Apple gets.

Apple's products are prominent in media because they are often the most used behind the scenes and they are nice to look at as well.

It's also funny how the good guys use Apple products and the bad guys use some off brand Wintel machine.

That's what Apple claims and that's what I used to believe. But they do proactively make their products available.

• Reply 47 of 64
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

White is one of the most boring colors for a car... right next to Toyota Camry Beige. One exception maybe is pearlescent white.

I agree. White would be my last choice for any car. I personally don't think it is that easy to keep clean either. If I am going to have to wash the car all the time anyway, give me black, it looks the best!!

• Reply 48 of 64

Quote:

Apple doesn't pay for product placement. There was an article written about it a while ago; how much free publicity Apple gets.

Apple's products are prominent in media because they are often the most used behind the scenes and they are nice to look at as well.

It's also funny how the good guys use Apple products and the bad guys use some off brand Wintel machine.

I disagree with you. If you look at the credits of about all the TV shows, you see Apple listed along with whatever car company that the actors happen to be driving in that series and all the other products that pay to be used.

• Reply 49 of 64
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

Actually, yeah, really. That car would look a lot better in red, black or yellow.

My preference:

• Reply 50 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Prior to Apple, white was associated with things like refrigerators or the tiles in your bathroom," McGill told author Brett Berk. "Apple made white valuable."

I agree with that, though I still associate white with things like kitchen appliances, and that's one reason why I'd never buy a white iPad, unless I was planning on installing one in a bathroom perhaps.

• Reply 51 of 64

So the BMW designer is both correct and wrong. The top selling car is white, but that is do to the large number of fleet sales to rental car companies, corporations, etc.

The most popular color among consumers based upon 10m online inventory searches on dealership websites last month....is Black. Passing silver about 2 years ago.

Apple has nothing to do with this....but purchasing agents of major companies....who get a better price when buying white from manufacturers. and lower maintenance cost. White unlike black, red, silver is less likely to fade, oxidize, etc.

• Reply 52 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Once again, I am aware of that, however the psychology of car color choice has been studied pretty extensively and the conclusions generally go in unrelated directions. I'm also not saying it *can't* happen for someone, but to draw that kind of conclusion without even a simple dealer survey leaves his opinion baseless, not to mention other surveys dispute his own claim to begin with that white hasn't overtaken silver. 

I wouldn't have said anything if your original post had disputed the article and not another person's post that seemed quite accurate to me. I might dispute the validity of the article as well. I don't think iPods would directly influence BMW purchases, although desirable white electronics could make white a more desirable color in general.

• Reply 53 of 64
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

Actually, yeah, really. That car would look a lot better in red, black or yellow.

Agreed. You buy a $400,000, kickass supercar, then get it in WHITE? Seriously? A Lambo deserves so much more:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

The most popular car in America is the Ford F-series truck :)

Reread what you just wrote, then #facepalm yourself image

• Reply 54 of 64
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    rumour has it that apple's use of white is also the reason michael jackson bleached his skin ...
  • Reply 55 of 64
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm having a really hard time believing this. Why would Apple's use of white for a cell phone and tablet influence car buying decisions?

I assume its a vanity thing, people like to have phones and accessories match their cars, the white iphone was heavily desired and so I would assume it would have an influence in color for cars.

• Reply 56 of 64
    swssws Posts: 44member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    It's psychology. Same reason many consumers prefer a "family" of matching products. Especially Apple gear. Uniform interfaces, even colours. We can develop an affinity for certain colours based on the moods they evoke. 

Futher reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_psychology

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1297510/?tool=pmcentrez

http://www.jgroshek.com/342/color%20and%20emotion.pdf

Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions.   
    - Pablo Picasso

+1

I have a white iPod, white iPad, white iPhone, and a white Volkswagen.

Ever since Apple starting putting out white products, I noticed how great of a color it is. Simple, clean, fresh, crisp.

jpxEul.jpg

*yes, I have Apple logos on the rear windows
  • Reply 57 of 64
    russellrussell Posts: 296member

Gotta hand it to Apple Insider for another misread article. The troves of iSheep are lapping it up, errors and all. Nary a one reading the original article themselves.

Quote:

Apple's design influence is felt well beyond consumer electronics, as the iconic white iPod and earbuds sparked demand for white automobiles, according to a designer with carmaker BMW.

Sandy McGill, BMW Designworks' lead designer in color, materials and finish, attributed the popularity of white automobiles to Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. He said in an interview with Motoramic (via Fortune) that though white is a "high maintenance" color for cars, it has become the most popular exterior car color for American buyers.

First of all, I am willing to bet Sandy McGill is a female. According to LinkedIn, it's Alexandra "Sandy" McGill. Nothing in the original article indicated Sandy was a male.

Secondly, who said white is a high maintenance color? The way the article was written, there is no way to ascertain who said it. Sandy's comments were in quotes, these were not. Anybody that says white is a high maintenance color is someone that doesn't know a lot about cars

Quote:

Though white was the primary color for the iPod for years, Apple moved away from white for some time. Last year, Apple began offering the iPhone 4, iPad and iPod touch in white, signaling a comeback for the color in the company's product lineup, while all of Apple's iPod and iOS lineup have shipped with white headphones for years.

Anybody that believes there is a relation between the color of apple's products and cars is a fool. Why don't we have more RED cars? White is the cheapest car color. With the way the US economy has been the past 5 years, people are cutting back on spending, not paying for more expensive colors.

The real reason Sandy is crediting apple for the color popularity is because BMW is making their cars' entertainment systems integrate with SIRI. This was mentioned at WWDC 2012

I do see a relation between BMW customers and Apple customers though.

BMW owners are 42% more likely than the average adult to ‘spend money without thinking'.

They are 35% more likely than the average to find expensive aftershaves/perfumes irresistible.

35% more likely to wear designer clothes.

• Reply 58 of 64
    haarhaar Posts: 563member

Quote:

and tv shows cover the logo of apple products, when they don't have clearance to show the apple logo... 

from what i understand, while apple does not pay for placement.. they do give the "production" as much apple stuff as they need...  

as in computers and stuff.. (I may be wrong but it makes sense...)

funny, in the series "My boys" (a series about a female sport writer in chicago, and her poker playing male friends) on the first season she is writing on a dell/windows laptop... half way  through the first season or into the second season she is  writing on an Apple Airbook (this series started in 2006, second season 2007) so it is amazing that they were using Apple Airbook before or right after it was released for sale...

• Reply 59 of 64

Quote:

Agreed. You buy a $400,000, kickass supercar, then get it in WHITE? Seriously? A Lambo deserves so much more:

If you drive a car like that, it doesn't fucking matter what color it is. I guarantee it.

• Reply 60 of 64
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    If you drive a car like that, it doesn't fucking matter what color it is. I guarantee it.

This much is true.

Ferraris still have to be red though :)