Apple rolls out updated iOS 6 beta App Store with 'Chomp' inspired layout

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
Apple on Friday updated the App Store for iOS 6 beta with significant layout and search results upgrades seemingly inspired by "Chomp," the app search engine acquired by Apple earlier this year.

The new App Store made available to developers running the upcoming iOS 6 sports a redesigned look based on app cards or tiles rather than the list view seen in iOS 5. Apple appears to be implementing some of the features acquired from its recent purchase of app search engine Chomp, which had a similar tile interface.

It should be noted that Apple appears to be actively tweaking the software, and any features described at the time of this writing may not necessarily be active when the product is introduced to the public later this fall.

Versions of the app for both the iPad and iPhone received minor visual enhancements like UI color changes and relocated buttons, the most significant upgrade comes in the store's search utility. With the iPad, searches now bring up a number of large tiles that allow for an app's name, rating and screenshot to be displayed. The current iOS 5's App Store only displays an app's icon, rating, and a few lines of text including the app name, which is truncated if it surpasses 25 characters.

iPad App Store

Certain buttons and drop-down menus have been relocated as the new layout doesn't show iPad and iPhone apps on the same page, instead moving the "Device" selector to the top UI bar. Below the "iPad Apps" and "iPhone Apps" toggle buttons are "Price," "Category" and relocated "Relevance/Release Date" filters.

Sorting

When an app is selected, a pop-up appears over the app tiles instead of switching to a new page as in iOS 5. The window features a more intuitive and compact design that, unlike the current full-page layout, combines Details, Ratings and Related app information with user-selectable buttons.

App Window

As for the iPhone, the App Store's layout has also been revamped, with the Categories button moved from the bottom bar to be integrated into search results. Perhaps most notable is the ability to search for both iPad and iPhone apps, however the function remains unclear as apps coded for Apple's tablet are incompatible with handsets.

The iPhone's App Store design appeared to be in flux, however, as the software was returning tiled search results earlier in the day only to be replaced by the regular scrollable list at the time of this writing.

iPhone App Store

Finally, the Genius search option is back for iOS 6 beta users, however the service isn't yet fully functional. Currently users are relegated to agreeing to Apple's terms and conditions before being sent back to the "Turn On Genius" landing page.

iPad Genius

iPhone Genius
The Genius for Apps service for iPad (top) and iPhone (bottom) is not yet functional in iOS 6 beta.

Overall, the look and feel of the new App Store is more of an evolution rather than a revolution, and the new tile system is sure to spark controversy among users accustomed to the traditional list layout. However, the changes are substantial enough to give the store a more put-together appearance worthy of a new OS launch.

Apple is widely expected to debut iOS 6 alongside a much-rumored next-generation iPhone at a special event on Sept. 12, to be followed by a U.S. rollout on Sept. 21.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Evolution? It looks like a mess. I'd consider that the opposite of evolution.

• Reply 2 of 15

I've been playing around with the new layout after I read the report. My first impressions:

1. The light background matches the new iPod app background now.

2. I like how Categories are selected.

3. The side-scrolling of single apps under the 'New' and 'What's Hot' sections seem to flow better.

4. Not too sure about Search. I searched for 'Snake' and got 1153 apps listed and I need to scroll through all of them one by one. However, given that I am using the iPhone and not the iPad, I guess there is a limit on the seach options.

Overall, it seems like a nice enough change - a little different. I would love to try it on my iPad, but I don't have iOS 6 installed on it.

• Reply 3 of 15
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member

1)

Hm, iPad version does not look very convinient.

I don't like that I am able to see only 6 apps on the screen when browsing for a needed app.

2)

And I still do not understand why they cant' make sorting functionality to work correctly (iOS and OSX). If you search for something, and then sort it by ratings, go to the app description, then come back - the whole list is sorted by frequency and not by rating. Though the sorting drop-down button still indicates 'by rating'.

This is so annoying that it can't keep sorting saved after I return from the app description to the search results.

3) I bought/downloaded about 800 apps.

I hate to see all the apps I already have again and again.

It makes so difficult just to come to some decent title I still don't own.

It is ok though if you have never yet played Angry Birds /s ;)

• Reply 4 of 15
    eh...we'll see once my iPad gets it...I hope there's a better view with more apps per page on the iPad...
  • Reply 5 of 15

I REALLY think it's a BAD idea to have iPhone and iPad tabs regardless of which device you're on. it's gonna confuse customers, and they're gonna want their money back if they make a mistake.

• Reply 6 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I REALLY think it's a BAD idea to have iPhone and iPad tabs regardless of which device you're on. it's gonna confuse customers, and they're gonna want their money back if they make a mistake.

Apple isn't slow to refund for accidental app purchases even though it is inconvenient for the user. I doubt Apple's goal is to try to snake a few extra bucks from customers with erroneous app purchases so that leaves an oversight on their part or they think the iOS user is savvy enough at this point to know that there are two distinct platforms for devices that can run iOS App Store apps. I'd like to think the latter but I'm not yet convinced. I think we'll have a better answer a few months after this launches. If they change the way both platform's apps are displayed then it was an oversight, if not, it was deliberate and/or not a problem.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

if you're in the app store on your iphone it won't let you buy the ipad version. only if its a universal app

• Reply 8 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

if you're in the app store on your iphone it won't let you buy the ipad version. only if its a universal app

Oh, see that's good, but wtf is the point of showing iPad only apps at all then? Like, is the advertisment for an iPad worth it that much to Apple?

• Reply 9 of 15

Quote:

Oh, see that's good, but wtf is the point of showing iPad only apps at all then? Like, is the advertisment for an iPad worth it that much to Apple?

I'm glad they are allowing you to see iPad only apps on the iPhone now.  Just the other day it pissed me off that I couldn't look up iPad apps on my iPhone.  One of my friends showed me an app he had on his iPad that I wanted to buy.  I didn't have my iPad with so I just tried to look it up on my iPhone so I could either buy it and put it on my iPad when I got home, or at least keep it on the screen so I knew which one to buy.  But instead I couldn't even find the app because it was an iPad only app and the iPhone wouldn't look it up.  So instead I had to have him send me a text with the name of the app so I could find it when I got home.

Personally I think they should let you buy the iPad app too, maybe just have a screen pop up for you to verify that you know the app is for the iPad only.  Or maybe have it check your Apple ID to make sure you have an iPad registered to it and only allow you to buy the app if you do.

• Reply 10 of 15
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

I hope they implement a 'wish list' feature. Can't figure out why that's never been there. It would massively increase app sales.

• Reply 11 of 15
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Evolution? It looks like a mess. I'd consider that the opposite of evolution.

I can see where this layout might be good for newbies but I wish we could choose.

My real beef with the stores is the lack of good meta data. I noticed this in the book store in particular. I was searching an author and stuff from another guy of the same name came up. In media major actors are missing from entries, there's no links to TV shows these folks were the star of and no name control. IMDB, Library of Congress etc can get this figured out, why can't Apple. Hell LoC would probably let them download the records for a tiny fee and build right off them.

That and then the pricing etc issues and Apple's stores would be way way better
  • Reply 12 of 15

This isn't public release yet. By then this might be on the iPad only or there could be some kind of warning or such.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    gqb wrote: »
    I hope they implement a 'wish list' feature. Can't figure out why that's never been there. It would massively increase app sales.

Yep, they have it so why can't we access it on our devices
  • Reply 14 of 15

All I want for the App Store is a "apps similar to this" feature that actually works. God knows search sucks, when you do things like search for "instant message" as an example it will only return results that have instant message in the name title, which is completely stupid.

• Reply 15 of 15

Quote:

If you have an iPhone and an iPad then Universal apps are usually better value as you know that you can use both versions. Thus when searching it is generally true that apps that have an iPad version are a better fit for the consumer that intends to use both devices. However, you still need to be careful as ultimately it's the functionality of the app that matters not the form factors it supports. I use Tom Tom navigation and can't imagine using my iPad to do that. If Tom Tom were not a universal app (it is - so my point is mute in this case - but for illustration purposes) then it would not be so easy to find if a consumer is making an app search and preferring universal apps.  If iPhone apps are relegated to a "2nd division" when searching for apps then developers will have to consider creating a universal app even if using a bigger screen is not a functional necessity (to ensure they feature in the iPad search).