High-quality images compare alleged next-gen iPhone, iPhone 4S front assemblies

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

That's probably another reason why Apple made the phone taller, but not significantly wider (like the Note).

And part of the tablet issue is that it looks stupid holding one up to your ear. You'd need a headset or a dick tracy watch with mic/speaker. All that said, I remember a day when lots of people wandered around with a Day Planner or Filofax in their hands. Walking around with, say, a 7" tablet isn't that far removed.

What we REALLY need, IMHO, is a way to own a phone AND a tablet AND a computer, all with the same "number", and the ability to route calls and messages to the device... err... at hand.

I think the simplest solution would be to remove voice calls completely. Text messages and email are just as efficient as voice calls and I would argue less intrusive as well. Email clients have already solved your problem and in a way where you can answer the communication at your leisure instead of requiring your attention immediately. I think that's why video calls have never really taken off, not because there hasn't been ease of use or ubiquity, but because it's going the wrong direction in communication convenience. Not many people want to be video recorded while placing a call. You have to "prepare" for it more than a voice call. The only time voice or video calls are appropriate are for intimate moments either for personal or business purposes, using a dedicated piece of technology for it, otherwise a written message should suffice.

• Reply 62 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    fairthrope wrote: »
    I think he just wants the curved back design of 3GS back.

And that's fine. I miss the original iPhone's casing look and feel. That does not mean that the device has not changed simply because it's using a single element one does not find as aesthetically pleasing.

ahmlco wrote: »
    I will note that it's placement is in the coveted top "window" on the back of the device. And NFC antennas aren't really antennas as much as they are inducers, and different rules tend to apply in that respect. And while we're on that subject, I think too much consideration is being given to the "optimum" antenna design. Keep in mind that the range we want is best measured in inches, not feet, yards, or miles, which tends to dispel the "22-meter long" antenna requirement. (Or 11m dp.)

I've never heard NFC described in meters. Everything I've read has an expected range of less than 2" to make the the loop with a max range well under 1 foot.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And that's fine. I miss the original iPhone's casing look and feel. That does not mean that the device has not changed simply because it's using a single element one does not find as aesthetically pleasing.

I've never heard NFC described in meters. Everything I've read has an expected range of less than 2" to make the the loop with a max range well under 1 foot.

Part of the Anadtech reasoning was that the wavelength for NFC works out to be 22 meters, which means that the "optimum" antenna design would be an 11 meter dipole, hence there's no room for a tightly coiled antenna in the window space provided. My point was that, given the transmission distances involved (a couple of inches, as you state) I'm not entirely sure that you need the optimum design.

• Reply 64 of 65

Originally Posted by SgtFire View Post

The reason is Cook said Apple was doubling down on security.

Come ON. This is worse than misuse of the sandpaper quote and as bad as pretending Apple owns rounded rectangles.

• Reply 65 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Maybe the new chip is an ANT+ receiver. How cool would that be?

The 3GS and later (including 4S) receive ANT+ using Apple's custom firmware driving the Broadcom WiFi SDR baseband.

The two ANT+ devices it works with are the Nike+ Remote Watch and the Nike+ shoe sensor.

They are identifiable as only using ANT+ by the Dynastream ANT+ device inside. 

I wonder if Apple will still include ANT+ compatibility in the iPhone 5, as the newest Nike+ devices are Bluetooth 4.0.