Review: Google's Nexus 7 tablet with Android 4.1

Comments

• Reply 41 of 116
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.neowin.net/news/bloomberg-ipad-mini-arrives-in-october-with-785-inch-screen

Well, that'll be it for the Nexus (not that it's got much of a shot against the current iPad.) Hope Google can sell as many as possible in the meantime. 

I doubt we will see Apple selling an iPad Mini for $199, so the Nexus ought to have its own niche of being an inexpensive tablet that is adequate for most users' needs.

If the rumors are true that the iPad Mini is based around the iPad 2, then it ought to be inexpensive to manufacture so there is no reason not to target $199 unless there is an Apple tax.

• Reply 42 of 116
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

you need cellular data for google maps because it only loads the map tiles as you use them

• Reply 43 of 116
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

So does this thing have a built in GPS chip?

IMO that would be a great feature... GPS without cellular contract... And built in google maps.

Yes -- it has GPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_7

• Reply 44 of 116
    nceencee Posts: 857member

As for cheap, the paperbacks work best for me:)

Skip

• Reply 45 of 116
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

That's what makes the Nexus 7 great. It runs all android phone apps natively at full screen. It has literally hundreds of thousands more apps than the iPad does because of this. And, I have never come across an app that my iPhone had that my Galaxy Nexus does not.

That's just a lie and you know it.

• Reply 46 of 116
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

you need cellular data for google maps because it only loads the map tiles as you use them

That's why Google wants you to download all your maps into 16GB storage. YAY!

• Reply 47 of 116
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

I think you have it backward by saying it as a FUD. A FUD is usually originated by the incumbent product's maker or users. How on earth a statement opined by a user of an Android tablet and its minuscule market share can actually create Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt to users of an IOS tablet and its superly massive [i.e. near monopolistic] market share?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Pure FUD.

Keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands more iOS apps than Android apps. So for your statement to be correct, there must be MANY hundreds of thousands of iOS apps that won't run on the iPad.

I'll settle for you naming just 10.

• Reply 48 of 116
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    muppetry wrote: »
    Historically the animosity (and ridicule) was mostly in the other direction. Having been using Macs since the original, I know from first hand experience. There may be a bit of "payback" going on now that Apple is so successful.

Wel said. Then we have to remember Android fans are either old died in the wool PC users who hate Apple or youngsters that don't know any better. /smile
  • Reply 49 of 116

Quote:

google maps allow for download of maps for offline use.

• Reply 50 of 116
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mcrs wrote: »
    I think you have it backward by saying it is a FUD. A FUD is usually originated by the incumbent product's maker or users. How on earth a statement opined by a user of an Android tablet and its minuscule market share can actually create Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt to users of an IOS tablet and its superly massive [i.e. near monopolistic] market share?

'Utter drivel' would have been more accurate.
  • Reply 51 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wel said. Then we have to remember Android fans are either old died in the wool PC users who hate Apple or youngsters that don't know any better. /smile

What is a wool PC?

Must be horrible, to die in a wool PC!  ;-)

• Reply 52 of 116

“…all Android™ tablets sold by GameStop have been customized by GameStop to include free digital games…” A quote directly from Gamestop website I found on the store locator page and above this description, buy online( a link is found at bottom. The use of words like certain, some, not all and select models is not used in this sales pitch, just the word “all”. I purchased two new Nexus 7 android tablets from Gamestop.com but my new android tablets were NOT customized as described by Gamestop. There are no free digital games downloaded, no Kongregate Arcade app installed. Now my problem is and will always be with Gamestop until this false statement is taken down and equal compensation is given to support this claim along with emailed apologies to the customers that were swindled into buying from them.

As far as the product by Google, the Nexus 7, a remarkable machine! My family (myself, wife, two teenagers and a preteen) own the Samsung galaxy notes 10.1. It does not compare to the quality of this machine by the innovators of the early twenty first century. The design functionality, hardware and software superiority is what you get and not just a brand name. A well put together machine for an amazing price. If you are looking to buy and this will be your first tablet; you cannot go wrong buying this elegant and easily navigational machine. What you get from Google and available to you besides superior handling and quality: free books, music, magazines, $25 Google Play credit and a Transformers movie. 

Just buy it somewhere else, like from Google.

Rating Gamestop is not an easy task considering there is not a low enough mark to actually grade their unbelievably stupid advertising fraud. Gamestop’s attention to detail and customer oriented experience is so far below par and needs a major shift away from “we have your money/trade credit—so suck it” to possibly, “how can we not portray ourselves as liars and service you as a valued customer?” They need to go back to business school and actually learn something and while they are there, create an innovative business model. Outright lies are not an ethical business model to get customers’ money and to stay in business. Good old fashioned honesty and attention to detail—that is customer service and satisfaction.

Follow the link and see for yourself, http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/tablets/#expand

• Reply 53 of 116
    igxqrrligxqrrl Posts: 105member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you're wrong. Android has 600,000 apps in the Play store as of June 2012.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_market) iOS has 650,000 as of June 11, 2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App_Store_(iOS)) This seems to be very common among Apple users. They don't realize how much the Play store has caught up. Android has seen insane growth. Apps seem to be the thing Apple users always point to as a reason not to switch and I think it no longer applies anymore.

Edit: And P.S. based on current growth of the number of apps, the Play store is going to take over the lead for number of apps this year. This doesn't even include the other app stores available to android. I'm not going to argue quality of the apps because that is too subjective and there are far too many apps to make a blanket statement.

In raw numbers the Play store has caught up, but the quality of many of those apps is suspect. This is more true of the Play store than the iOS store.

Further, while any app can run on the iPad with scaling, many of the apps in the play store won't install on the Nexus 7. For example, I can't install Washington Post or USA Today on my Nexus 7, but they work great on my Galaxy Nexus.

New app development generally seems to occur on iOS first, and then move to Android (hopefully). That may (probably will) change, but right now, iOS is still in the lead for apps.

• Reply 54 of 116
    ojalaojala Posts: 18member

I got the Nexus 7 (16G) as well, originally the idea was that it was cheaper and smaller to travel with than the iPad 3.

I have been very positively surprised.  I prefer the size to the iPad.  All the primary apps work very well on the Android and Jelly Beam feels the first really usable Android version and most of all, feels very competitive to iOS -- in fact some features are already better such as the multitasking UI.

I have also an retina iPad 3 but 3/4 of the time I carry the Nexus instead.  The market is getting tougher for Apple for sure, takes a while for the Apple-blind audience to notice though.  (I'm all Apple in general and consider myself a fanboy, too)

• Reply 55 of 116
    igxqrrligxqrrl Posts: 105member

Quote:

Google maps supports offline usage. Portland has an awesome network of hiking trails in Forest Park. The Nexus 7 is small enough to fit in a large pant or coat pocket; I have the Forest Park region downloaded to google maps, and use it offline for wandering around the trails.

• Reply 56 of 116
    nexusphan wrote: »
    All current android apps run full screen natively right out of the box on the Nexus 7. Something that the iPad mini might not be able to say.

Of course it can say that, the screen dimensions are the same as the iPad 1/2.
  • Reply 57 of 116
    igxqrrl wrote: »
    In raw numbers the Play store has caught up, but the quality of many of those apps is suspect. This is more true of the Play store than the iOS store.

Further, while any app can run on the iPad with scaling, many of the apps in the play store won't install on the Nexus 7. For example, I can't install Washington Post or USA Today on my Nexus 7, but they work great on my Galaxy Nexus.

New app development generally seems to occur on iOS first, and then move to Android (hopefully). That may (probably will) change, but right now, iOS is still in the lead for apps.

There's a large occurrence of dual releases nowadays, but the junky apps in Android market Google Play Store are still far too many.

I'm just glad a lot of the big players are using the guidelines introduced with Android 4.0
  • Reply 58 of 116

Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Of course it can say that, the screen dimensions are the same as the iPad 1/2.

And here comes the hit box/graphics/UI size discussion.

• Reply 59 of 116
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

I think it's a classic symptom of undiagnosed "commaphobia".

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

What is a wool PC?

Must be horrible, to die in a wool PC!  ;-)

• Reply 60 of 116
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Wow, 4/5. 

I always like reading your reviews. Sure you constantly get bashed for being partial when you give a non-Apple product a negative, but I find you're always fair and honest with your asessments, often comparing the product to the Apple product its competing against, and don't go for the fake, bullshit guide of 'equality' that other review sites go for, apologizing for a product's weak points simply because it is not made by Apple and not wanting to be seen as pro-Apple. I played around with this at Best Buy, considered picking it up, but then decided against it. The app situation just isnt there for me and still seems like a redundant device if owning an iPad.