'iPad mini' will be challengingly thin thanks to 'GF2' technology

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's new, smaller iPad will reportedly be so thin and light that production of the device has posed a particular challenge to the company.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo with KGI Securities said in a research note issued on Friday that the so-called "iPad mini" will feature industry leading "GF Ditto," otherwise known as GF2, touchscreen technology. He said that Apple will be the first company in the world to commercialize and mass produce GF Ditto technology.

The new method is apparently an improvement from the "G/G touch structure" Apple currently utilizes in its third-generation iPad with Retina display. The switch will allow the new iPad to be not only thinner but significantly lighter.

The iPad mini will be about as thin as Apple's next-generation iPhone, according to Kuo. He estimates that the iPad mini's panel thickness will be below 2.2 millimeters alone, or below 4.2 millimeters including the printed circuit board — both numbers that he said are thinner than the average tablet on the market today.

Production of a device so thin and light has become a particular challenge for Apple in the manufacturing process, he said. In particular, the thinness of the new iPad "poses a challenge to panel assembly yield," as well as passing the company's "drop test" for durability.

Difficulties in manufacturing the iPad mini allegedly led to an internal delay in launching the device, according to Kuo. He believes that shipments of the smaller iPad will begin in the first half of October, and the device will become available to consumers in late October.

Comparison Mockup
Mockup comparing sizes of iPads, Google's Nexus 7 and Amazon's Kindle Fire. | Source: iMore

In addition to the ultra-thin design, he also said the iPad mini will feature a high-definition forward-facing FaceTime camera, and a 5-megapixel rear camera.

Given the rumored supply constraints with the new design, Kuo has cut his projected iPad mini shipments this year from 15.1 million to 10.2 million. He said that Apple has increased orders for the iPad 2 as of July to "cope with delays in iPad mini launch."

Kuo's note issued Friday also claimed that Apple plans to update its current iPad with Retina display this fall, giving the device a new 9-pin dock connector but leaving the rest of the device largely unchanged.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 121

I'm still hoping that New Apple is just pulling off the greatest hoax of their company's history and weeding out leaks.

If anything would be a result of a doubling down of security, it's all this "confirmed" information about a product that was never going to exist in the first place. Leak one thing to one place, another thing to another. Then fire everyone when something on the list leaks out.

• Reply 2 of 121
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

If we ever get to a reliable VOIP solution and Retina for this device, I'd be REALLY tempted to make an LTE version of this my only device.

I'm dead serious.

• Reply 3 of 121

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

If we ever get to a reliable VOIP solution and Retina for this device, I'd be REALLY tempted to make an LTE version of this my only device.

I'm dead serious.

You'd hold a 7", 3:2 phone to your face?

• Reply 4 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Given the rumored supply constraints with the new design, Kuo has cut his projected iPad mini shipments this year from 15.1 million to 10.2 million. He said that Apple has increased orders for the iPad 2 as of July to "cope with delays in iPad mini launch.".

You've got to love analysts:

"We don't have any evidence that there's really going to be a product, we don't know the price, we don't know the features, don't know the launch date (if any), we don't know anything about it - and can't even be sure of its existence, but we predicted that Apple would sell 15.1 M units this year.

But now, on the basis of unfounded rumors about supply of this product that may or may not exist and which may or may not have an attractive price/features, and which still has unknown features, price, launch date, etc, we are now going to reduce our estimate to 10.2 M".

Yes, with that kind of detail, I can see whey they're giving estimates with a 1% error margin. /s
  • Reply 5 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ironically, one wouldn't hold an iPhone or Mini to one's face for FaceTime.

• Reply 6 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I'm still hoping that New Apple is just pulling off the greatest hoax of their company's history and weeding out leaks.

Why? How in the world does it affect you if Apple releases a product that you don't want to buy? I really can't stand your constant derision and hatred for things like an iPad Mini, NFC, and even the 'Iphone 5' name. The fact that you don't like something doesn't make it evil.

Where did he say that?

Maybe bluetooth headsets are another of those things you hate.
  • Reply 7 of 121

Are you prepared to eat a truckload of crow if (IMHO, when) Apple announces an iPad Mini?
  • Reply 8 of 121
    shidellshidell Posts: 187member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why? How in the world does it affect you if Apple releases a product that you don't want to buy? I really can't stand your constant derision and hatred for things like an iPad Mini, NFC, and even the 'Iphone 5' name. The fact that you don't like something doesn't make it evil.

You know, I feel the same way about a lot of products here. Android, Windows...

Oh well.

• Reply 9 of 121

Quote:

If anything would be a result of a doubling down of security, it's all this "confirmed" information about a product that was never going to exist in the first place. Leak one thing to one place, another thing to another. Then fire everyone when something on the list leaks out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

Are you prepared to eat a truckload of crow if (IMHO, when) Apple announces an iPad Mini?

He is expressing his wish. One doesn't need to eat crow if one's wish doesn't come true. Otherwise, there would be a crow restaurant next to every wishing well.

• Reply 10 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

You know, I feel the same way about a lot of products here. Android, Windows...

Oh well.

This is an Apple forum. Both Windows and Android are cheap, knockoff OS'es that are liked and used by people who are aesthetically challenged, and in the case of Android, that very often includes economically challenged people too.

• Reply 11 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How in the world does it affect you if Apple releases a product that you don't want to buy?

It affects Apple, which in turn affects the customers. I'd prefer they be as successful as possible. The fewer bad products the better.

I really can't stand your constant derision and hatred for things like an iPad Mini, NFC, and even the 'Iphone 5' name.

I've nothing at all against NFC.

Where did he say that?

Where he said "VoIP".

Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

I'll eat some Humboldt pie once the first quarter's sales and reviews thereafter come in. Maybe.

• Reply 12 of 121
    chuckdchuckd Posts: 34member

RIP Kindle Fire 2.

• Reply 13 of 121
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

You are beginning to sound like 'the iPad is just a toy / big iPod' brigade from post iPad launch. Embrace it, even if it's not for you.

• Reply 14 of 121
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

He is expressing his wish. One doesn't need to eat crow if one's wish doesn't come true. Otherwise, there would be a crow restaurant next to every wishing well.

Well, he has repeatedly said the iPad mini will be a poor product.

• Reply 15 of 121
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Once again this week we're getting all these windows 8 laptop, tablet, hybrid concepts. Samsung just showed off a front and back dual screen laptop concept. To be honest most of this is throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks and a lot of it is gimmicky. I'm glad Apple doesn't show us concepts and prototypes they're working on. Just show it to us when you're ready to sell it. And I'm glad Apple knows when something should see the light of day or not. It's clear with Samsung anything that comes to their mind gets built and announced to the public. :lol:
  • Reply 16 of 121
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Embrace it, even if it's not for you.

When I hear of even a single purpose for the device that isn't better served as a proper-sized tablet or on a pocketable screen, I'll think about doing that.

• Reply 17 of 121
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's also interesting is all these windows OEM's are going all in with laptop/tablet hybrid concept. As well as touch screen on the AIO's. Will be interesting to see how these fare in the marketplace, especially with Tim Cook stating that converged devices give the end user a compromised experience.
  • Reply 18 of 121
    rptrpt Posts: 175member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well, he has repeatedly said the iPad mini will be a poor product.

Sounds more like a problem related to disagreeing with Steven Jobs', in my opinion not his best, remarks about the impossibility of making a good product at a smaller size. I am confident Apple can do that, and I will never buy an iPad before I can have one that fits into my jacket pocket. My wife carries a handbag, I don't, so until then she will be the only one of us carrying an iPad.

• Reply 19 of 121
    strixstrix Posts: 22member

Tallest Skil, I have the greatest respects for your opinions and judgements on this and other Mac websites. 

However I think you are missing a couple of points about the possible virtues of an iPad "mini".

In a café or bar and wanting to access the interweb and read the content on an iPhone it almost requires glasses.

Lugging an iPad, wonderful as one is, is too much of a problem and also a little irritating/obtrusive to those alongside you.

If, and it is a big if, a wifi/3 or 4 G mini iPad duplicates/uses all the functions of a big iPad with iOS6 and is with a thin bezel it would certainly for those who have hand/man/bags or large pockets be a near perfect solution.

No I wouldn't use it to make calls I would use the iPhone 5 (and the not Samsung et al monster screen sizes not being mimicked by the iPhone would be explained by the mini iPad) in conjunction with the mini iPad.

• Reply 20 of 121
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member

I agree with the VOIP idea; it's the exact thing I've been waiting for, too. For portability, I'd much rather use an iPad Mini with a bluetooth earpiece than both an iPhone and a full-sized iPad. A single iPad Mini is a much less expensive solution, too.