'iPhone 5,' 'iPad mini' among 8 new Apple products coming before end of 2012

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

I find it unlikely that Apple will release a NEW new iPad in October just to change the charging cord.  That's really un-Apple like.  They usually just wait until the next release for that kind of stuff.

• Reply 62 of 97
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    ajitmd wrote: »
    Apple should have focussed in bringing different models of the iPhone.  That where the money is.  They should have kept the same aspect ratio and produced 4.0-4.5", 4.5-5" versions, in addition to the 3.5" version.  Just 1 color to simplify inventory and only 2 memory choices.  The smartphone market is huge and different people want different sizes.  They boxy design in uncomfortable to hold... need something ergonomic and easy to hold like the 3GS model.  

Apple is not going to win in the courthouse, unless they can deliver a knock-out blow to Google/Android - not likely.  At worst, Google will pay a multi-billion fine and modify Android so as not to infringe.  Meanwhile, Samsung comes up with new models before the courts can even deal with the old models.  

Apple has to innovate to compete with the entire Android value chain.  They take 1+ years to come with a new iPhone model and they look like the old iPhone!!!  Management is becoming are too fat, dumb and happy now.

Well.... I guess I'll be the first to agree with you on this thread that apple should consider expanding the sizes of the iPhone. A 3.5 and 4.5 makes sense to me. Just like bringing an iPad mini(if true) should bring added value and choice. And just to tick off our fearless global mod... a 13 inch iPad! D'oh!
  • Reply 63 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That's an interesting thought... they could give the AppleTV the ability to play games... likely require a new model with more power (GPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, Thunderbolt).  If they could keep the same form factor and get the price at $149-$249, they might have a winner.

you can already play games on the aTV if you have another iOS device, it's called "Mirroring".

• Reply 64 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It makes much more sense to me for it to focus on connecting to your phone seamlessly with Bluetooth and using the communications capabilities on the phone.  

I disagree. If you have an iPhone with you, you don’t need an iPod nano—an iPhone can do everything just as well. iPod nano is all about stand-alone use. So I don’t think Bluetooth connection is that important.

On the other hand, Wi-Fi is necessary to complete the post-PC strategy. You’ll be buying songs on any device you want (e.g. iPad) with the iPod nano automatically downloading them from your iTunes account. (Without a wireless connection, you’d need a Camera Connection Kit for that.)

• Reply 65 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Launch

Ok, this graph makes no sense to me.

Why would Apple release the 21" and 27" iMac a month apart?  They released all the MBs at a single event.

The likelyhood of a 13" rMBP (IMO) would not be for a while.  Unless the sales have been through the roof on the 15", which i gather it hasn't.

Personally, I think the iPhone event will only be about the iPhone, nothing else.

However, now that they have leaked the shit out of the next iPhone, it is quite possible that a "one more thing" is in order...just to throw a curve at the press.

If there is no "OMT" in September, I see all the iPod stuff happening in October at the normal Music-related Apple event.  iPod Touch, updated iPods and possibly the iPad Mini.

And if they refresh any of the PC's  That will be late October, all at once.

• Reply 66 of 97

Does anyone else recall how the iPad 1 was rumored for months and months to be released in October 2009.  Everyone was positive 100% it would be released just before X-mas.  And it disappointed all the analysts and the press for months until then when it was announced in Jan 2010, and released in April 2010.

Just sayin'

• Reply 67 of 97
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Does anyone else recall how the iPad 1 was rumored for months and months to be released in October 2009.  Everyone was positive 100% it would be released just before X-mas.  And it disappointed all the analysts and the press for months until then when it was announced in Jan 2010, and released in April 2010.

Just sayin'

Just like they pushed back the iPhone nano and iPad mini for years… 

• Reply 68 of 97
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

802.11ac/d, nothin'! I still want 802.22. I don't care if it means that "I'll see 1-20 thousand Wi-Fi networks in the dropdown because everyone's connectable from 50 miles away"; all I care about is my own network (so I'll set it invisible and connect to only that) and the best tech that would allow me access to it from however far. 

Nope, 802.23; because that would be one more thing.

Cheers

• Reply 69 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just like they pushed back the iPhone nano and iPad mini for years… 

well, the iPOD mini wasn't released until 3 years after the first iPod.  And it seems that, historically, the major new products are announced in (Jan/Feb).

• Reply 70 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I find it unlikely that Apple will release a NEW new iPad in October just to change the charging cord.  That's really un-Apple like.  They usually just wait until the next release for that kind of stuff.

Except they probably intend on keeping it around after the next iPad release as a second tier option. For example they quietly updated the cpu in the iPad 2 even after the iPad 3 came out. I think Apple is developing a slightly different strategy with iPad than they did with iPhone, partly because iPhone is subsidized but also because the second tier iPad needs to continue to run the most current education apps since that is one of the primary target markets for the reduced price device.

• Reply 71 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm still not sold on the iPod nano getting Wi-Fi.  

The entire housing is metal, and the screen has metal shielding behind it.  It's basically a tiny metal box, the absolute worst possible form factor for Wi-Fi reception.  It's also so small that even if they find a way to put an antenna inside that actually has some reception, it's likely to lose that reception as it moves around the Wi-Fi zone in that it would be much more susceptible to skip and interference from even small metallic objects in the room with it.  

Faraday cage*

They could easily include a wifi chip, simply put it where ever there is room for it, and put the antenna in the headphone jack.

• Reply 72 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

WiFi in the iPod nano. That's interesting. Guess you'll be able to sync it with iCloud.

Of course what would be really interesting is if they brought Siri to it. An internet connection would make that a possibility and the ability to operate such a small product with voice would be very useful. Although the need to be within range of a WiFi network is a serious limitation.

No, Apple won't include Siri, having it available one minute and not the next? it'd drive customers insane and they'd HATE apple for it.

• Reply 73 of 97

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

No, Apple won't include Siri, having it available one minute and not the next? it'd drive customers insane and they'd HATE apple for it.

Is that just mocking the generic old belief of that? Because the iPad 3 gets Siri. Unless they're blocking it on the Wi-Fi models, the above doesn't apply anymore.

• Reply 74 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbruce View Post

Apple TV (set top) update?

Dude, the Apple TV third gen just came out a few months ago, there's not much need for any more power in that...

• Reply 75 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Apple should have focussed in bringing different models of the iPhone.  That where the money is.  They should have kept the same aspect ratio and produced 4.0-4.5", 4.5-5" versions, in addition to the 3.5" version.  Just 1 color to simplify inventory and only 2 memory choices.  The smartphone market is huge and different people want different sizes.  They boxy design in uncomfortable to hold... need something ergonomic and easy to hold like the 3GS model.  

Apple is not going to win in the courthouse, unless they can deliver a knock-out blow to Google/Android - not likely.  At worst, Google will pay a multi-billion fine and modify Android so as not to infringe.  Meanwhile, Samsung comes up with new models before the courts can even deal with the old models.  

Apple has to innovate to compete with the entire Android value chain.  They take 1+ years to come with a new iPhone model and they look like the old iPhone!!!  Management is becoming are too fat, dumb and happy now.

What is with all the iPhone guys saying Apple should abandon every non iOS device Apple makes?! Dude, just shut your damn mouth, you don't even know what you're talking about. *sigh*

• Reply 76 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Except they probably intend on keeping it around after the next iPad release as a second tier option. For example they quietly updated the cpu in the iPad 2 even after the iPad 3 came out. I think Apple is developing a slightly different strategy with iPad than they did with iPhone, partly because iPhone is subsidized but also because the second tier iPad needs to continue to run the most current education apps since that is one of the primary target markets for the reduced price device.

the iPad 2 always had the dual core A5 chip, it has never seen an update, unless by update you mean updating it to the iPad (3rd gen).

• Reply 77 of 97

My prediction contrary to the defending two events.Posted imageA single event, multiple releases and marketing department who come to care for the understanding of consumers.

The presentation of a MacBook retina 13" only complement the portfolio and therefore do not deserve to great fanfare. And if the iMac keeps updating the current design only internal components will certainly occur a quotation well in Keynote fast as Apple did with the MacBook Air and Mac Pro at WWDC 2012. The Mountain Lion is well presented to the world, so an event just for Macs think at this point makes no sense. Next year will make sense because there is the promise of a new Mac Pro, MacBook Air retina and an iMac with a new design, in short, yes there will be many new developments that justify a separate event.

• Reply 78 of 97
    slang4art wrote: »
    iPod nano becomes simply iPod, gaining new connectivity, in particular, BT 4.0 (Internet access can be gained through iPhone/iPad).

iPod shuffle, classic and touch discontinued.

iPad mini introduced (or new iPod touch; doesn't really matter what they call it, but I do think iPod touch is sort of outdated considering iPod nano has touch.)

I'm not a huge fan of something between 3.5 and 10-inches, but it seems like a good business move in some ways.

Rather than discontinue the iPod touch, which I don't see happening for a very long time, add a mobile chip to so it can be an add on device for these shared data plans. Then launch a VoIP service. I think it's $10 to add a "tablet" to a shared data plan vs the 30-40ish for a smartphone.

I'd be surprised to see it but I'd be in for a couple for my kids, as long as I could set limits on their data use.
  • Reply 79 of 97
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, I kinda' expected/hoped for an iMac 27" update in August...  Also, FCP X should be about ready to drop a new version -- and that would be a good tie-in to a new iMac or a new Mini.

If the new iPhone gets a new A6 SOC, I hope they will upgrade the iPad 3 -- or add a new high-end model.

I don't get why Apple would insist on the laminated display screen for the 27" iMac if the yields were not good. Even if the vendor is stuck with a fixed price contract for the component the lack of availability is a problem in terms of sales...aside from the fact that replacement costs are almost certainly higher.

What a lot of people want in the 13" MBP is a quad-core CPU, discreet graphics processor and anti-glare screen. Leave the optical drive in it so that it can be taken out to install a SSD and use the rotating drive for data storage.

• Reply 80 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Perhaps Apple is waiting for 802.11ad later this year?

802.1ad isn't expected to have products available for it until sometime in 2014.  I think since we haven't seen them yet in the Ivy Bridge revamps I won't expect to start seeing 802.11ac in Apple products until the Haswell revisions next year.