Apple's new iMac expected to be redesigned without Retina display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Retina will come in time, when it becomes practical. (A higher-res conventional—non 2x—display would be awful: tiny print!)

Wouldn't be if OS X handled resolution scaling properly...

EDIT: And a 3840*2160 resolution in a 21.5" screen is just stupidly overkill.

• Reply 42 of 130
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    iMac in Sept huh?

I need one Tuesday, that is September, right? What do you think my odds are?
  • Reply 43 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkunicorn View Post

Also Tallest has a sense of that I don't think many people pick up. 

I pick up on nonsense very easily, as many people do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You realize that we get all reports, right? image

Der, really?

I've moderated plenty of forums. I knew you would receive it. To put in simple words for you, I intended for you to see it.

Quote:

And to top it all off, YOU were banned from there, too.

Sorry, that is false information.

I have never been banned from there and my account is still in good standing. To put in simple words for you again, "Zedd" is not my username there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Add Ivy Bridge, USB 3.0, add Blu Ray (kidding) and make flash storage standard.

Are you serious? A $2000 display AND flash storage? Would you really buy a $5000 AIO desktop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Yes, I know resolution doesn't = DPI, but the fact that they're JUST coming out with 4K panels, should tell you a thing or two about when to expect such a monitor.

They are "just" coming out with 4K displays for two reasons: There is zero 4K content and there is little hardware powerful enough to drive it besides a full-blown PC.

2 out of 3 current game consoles can barely put out 1080p. Don't expect a 4K capable home game console like Toshiba used for their 4k demo screen until 2020 at the very earliest.

The only real use for a 4K screen over the next 1-3 years is to display 4 HDTV streams. They won't be much good as PC or workstation monitors because, as mentioned before, they will all be 36"+. 27" is already over the top for a consumer desktop. Personally, they should have left well enough alone with the 24" screen.

• Reply 44 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedd View Post

I pick up on nonsense very easily, as many people do.

Der, really?

I've moderated plenty of forums. I knew you would receive it. To put in simple words for you, I intended for you to see it.

Sorry, that is false information.

I have never been banned from there and my account is still in good standing. To put in simple words for you again, "Zedd" is not my username there.

Are you serious? A $2000 display AND flash storage? Would you really buy a $5000 AIO desktop?

They are "just" coming out with 4K displays for two reasons: There is zero 4K content and there is little hardware powerful enough to drive it besides a full-blown PC.

2 out of 3 current game consoles can barely put out 1080p. Don't expect a 4K capable home game console like Toshiba used for their 4k demo screen until 2020 at the very earliest.

The only real use for a 4K screen over the next 1-3 years is to display 4 HDTV streams. They won't be much good as PC or workstation monitors because, as mentioned before, they will all be 36"+. 27" is already over the top for a consumer desktop. Personally, they should have left well enough alone with the 24" screen.

There is no $2,000 consumer display, even those expensive ass Sony TVs, the panels are only $100 tops.

• Reply 45 of 130
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

At a normal viewing distance a 100ppi desktop display isn't far off 'retina' anyway, so I don't see any real pressing need to up the resolution. It would place a huge burden on the GPU, cause heat issues, and massively increase the price. So why bother?

Just give the iMac better specs and lower the price.

• Reply 46 of 130
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    kotatsu wrote: »
    At a normal viewing distance a 100ppi desktop display isn't far off 'retina' anyway.

This!
  • Reply 47 of 130
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Ahhhh...No 27" Retina iMac??? Can we get the 27" Thunderbolt and/or LED Cinema display(s) with 4K resolution to hold us over? 4K wouldn't make it Retina technically, but I could deal with that. (north of 200ppi) lol

I would totally pay $2k for a 4K 27" display, although ideally, it would have a resolution in the neighborhood of 5120x2880.

My favorite killer combo remains a MacBook Pro plus a 27" Thunderbolt or "LED Cinema" display to get both the iMac and MacBook Pro experience.

There s good news if you don't like the glossy display: ASUS is coming out with a 27" 2560x1440 (same res. as 27" iMac/Thunderbolt display) monitor with a gorgeous matte display with IPS. It's certainly nice to see that Apple is virtually forcing the "PC industry" to increase the quality of their products, while always staying ahead of the pack.
  • Reply 48 of 130

On other news: Mac mini will be without Retina display too /s

• Reply 49 of 130

1 example of a $2,000+ display: http://www.necdisplay.com/p/pa301w-bk

(yes, it's professional, but retina moves into professional realm IMO). 

• Reply 50 of 130
    kotatsu wrote: »
    At a normal viewing distance a 100ppi desktop display isn't far off 'retina' anyway, so I don't see any real pressing need to up the resolution. It would place a huge burden on the GPU, cause heat issues, and massively increase the price. So why bother?

I just wanted to say the same thing.. and add:

What part of "Retina" DON'T (most of) you people understand?

It is: a high enough pixel density that the human eye is unable to notice pixelation at a typical viewing distance.

Exactly how close are you people sitting to a 27" iMac may I ask?
  • Reply 51 of 130
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I just wanted to say the same thing.. and add:
    What part of "Retina" DON'T (most of) you people understand?
    It is: a high enough pixel density that the human eye is unable to notice pixelation at a typical viewing distance.
    Exactly how close are you people sitting to a 27" iMac may I ask?
    If anyone would know- the pixel doc would. :-)

The people (See Tallest Skil) who think you HAVE to double the resolution to be classified as "retina" obviously have no idea how to classify retina.
  • Reply 52 of 130
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

Ahhhh...No 27" Retina iMac??? Can we get the 27" Thunderbolt and/or LED Cinema display(s) with 4K resolution to hold us over? 4K wouldn't make it Retina technically, but I could deal with that. (north of 200ppi) lol

I would totally pay $2k for a 4K 27" display, although ideally, it would have a resolution in the neighborhood of 5120x2880.

My favorite killer combo remains a MacBook Pro plus a 27" Thunderbolt or "LED Cinema" display to get both the iMac and MacBook Pro experience.

There s good news if you don't like the glossy display: ASUS is coming out with a 27" 2560x1440 (same res. as 27" iMac/Thunderbolt display) monitor with a gorgeous matte display with IPS. It's certainly nice to see that Apple is virtually forcing the "PC industry" to increase the quality of their products, while always staying ahead of the pack.

Measure the distance between your eye balls and the screen of your 27" iMac. Is it more than 80cm? If it is, then unless you have super human eyes, then you're already looking at a 'retina' display.  

If the resolution was doubled, then by all means feel free to sit 40cm away from the screen, just to soak in all the detail. I suspect you might find that rather uncomfortable after a while though.

• Reply 53 of 130

Sorry.  After seeing the Macbook Pro retina...the 27 inch iMac display/resolution pales.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 54 of 130

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

The people (See Tallest Skil) who think you HAVE to double the resolution to be classified as "retina" obviously have no idea how to classify retina.

Nope. Never said that.

• Reply 55 of 130
    I don't think the new iMacs will be retina, but what is Apple doing that is taking so long?

What is going to happen with the i7 in the 27" since Apple's usual selection from the processor line-up is the 3770 which is clocked at the same 3.4 GHZ as the current Sandy Bridge i7 in the 27" iMac.

Is Apple working with Intel to get a new i7 in the line-up for the high end? Will Apple use the 3770k (unlocked) @ 3.5 GHZ or higher? Or will the just ship the 3.4 GHZ 3770 Ivy Bridge.

While clock speed doesn't mean everything in CPU performance, Intel and OEMs spent decades focusing on clock speed, so it counts significantly to Joe Public.

Apple, can we at least get 2TB HD standard on the high end 27" iMacs?
    The 1TB to 2TB up-sell fells a little insulting on a $2000 computer in 2012.
  • Reply 56 of 130
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Maybe it will be like the old days, with the drastic changes from iMac G3 to G4 to G5.

• Reply 57 of 130

If the 13" Retina Pro is 1,300> I will certainly be getting it.

• Reply 58 of 130

I guess it's the new lamination process that is holding the iMac up.  Yields on the 27 inch could be that bit more tricky to begin with...

Again, Apple pushing the tech' boundaries.

That would explain why they haven't just thrown Ivy into the current design.  It's a new design to dry run the lamination process, I guess.

The 'retina' will probably come next year at some point.

We can expect the iMac to be thinner then and lose the optical.

Hmm.  Ok.

I'd rather wait for Haswell and Retina.  ...and a decent GPU to drive it.  ...and 8 gigs of ram as standard...and cheaper SSD drives.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 59 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Maybe it will be like the old days, with the drastic changes from iMac G3 to G4 to G5.

Yes.  The next few iterations of the iMac will be quiet, evolving revolution.

From slimmer, to the lamination screen process, to Haswell, to Retina.  ...and SSD...with 8 gigs of ram?  With a more powerful GPU?  

There's a moving target there of one to two years.  I know where I'm hopping on.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 60 of 130
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    doorman. wrote: »
    On other news: Mac mini will be without Retina display too /

Had to laugh at this one. However it might be the case that an ACD in retina comes first. That wold solve the expense issue and the volume issue. However I wouldn't expect to see such a screen until the Mac Pros replacement is released.