New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwindmann View Post

Thanks for not turning it on, douchebag.

Actually, if they had turned it on, it would've booted to TouchWiz, performed poorly, then crashed.

• Reply 22 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Actually, if they had turned it on, it would've booted to TouchWiz, performed poorly, then crashed.

• Reply 23 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

.... If somebody smart and capable was in charge of security, nobody on the internet would have a freaking clue as to what the next iPhone would look like.

I doubt anyone on the Internet really does know. The many clues being analyzed here and in the blogosphere are just the usual rumors. 

• Reply 24 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I imagine some apps might be able to fill the screen without distortions when there are GUI elements that fill the space available, much like how desktop apps manage to work with arbitrary window sizes. I would expect untested apps would just be pillarboxed.

When it comes to iOS devs have to make their apps shift the view from portrait to landscape and back for 2 aspect ratios (four if you count the reverse of each) and 4 resolutions. If you look at how Safari and Mail seamlessly switch views on the iPhone I would imagine that won't be an issue to have that extra space used. Games would be the only ones I could see that are pillarboxed without a simple solution, but they'll still be just as usable as they are now.
  • Reply 25 of 159
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The Ugly:

-------------

Fat bezels (a lot of wasted space at the top and bottom)

The sticky hardware Home button just does not go away (is this a "crisis of design" right here?)

Dude, nothing personal but you don't know what you're talking about here.  This post just makes you look foolish.  

1) The bezels are actually smaller than the last phone, by quite a bit too.  There is also not a micron of "wasted space" in any of the iPhone designs, that's just a dumbass thing to say.  Everything you see there is there because it *has* to be there, they didn't just add a bunch of empty space or attach giant bezels to the thing for no reason.  What an absolutely idiotic thing to say.  

2) The Home button is one of the central features of the phone, it's part of the UI and it will *never* be eliminated.  It's also there so that the blind and other handicapped people can use the phone.  The capacitive buttons on Android phones are one of the single most complained about items by users of Android phones.  The Home button is a great thing, an integral part of the design, is loved by almost everyone and isn't going anywhere, ever.  You can expect it to be present in iPhone 5 and in iPhone 35.  

In short you understand nothing of the iPhone design, how it works, or the reasons for this or that feature being included. You also seem to know nothing about how design works in general,and yet you come here and give us your pronouncements on what they should or shouldn't include in the next iPhone.  See the problem?  

• Reply 26 of 159

I find it strange this person from Israel believes he has a world exclusive...from some cover manufacturer at a show Apple isn't attending (not that they really attend anything anymore, but...). Having been to Israel, this now makes me wonder about the quality of their tech media.

!??? ????? ??? ???? ?????? ??? ??? ???

.?????

• Reply 27 of 159
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

So, he's a "douchebag" for being a decent honest guy about when the owner told him he could photograph it if he promised not to turn it on?  

Geez, what moniker do the people in your world that do *bad* things get?    

• Reply 28 of 159

Without going to a bunch of Android sites...do Fandroids have analysts and leaked photos of upcoming flagship phones? Do they go on the hunt for blurry images of dock connectors and chipsets? I mean, from Samsung, it's not really much of a surprise I guess since they make (made) iPhones, but what about HTC and Moto? 

• Reply 29 of 159

OK - the microphone and speaker covers are not going to have big nail sized holes.

• Reply 30 of 159

He wasn't allowed to turn it on because there's nothing to turn on. 

Have you ever tried to turn on a display dummy phone at Walmart or Best Buy? 

The most that thing is, is a mockup made from painted plastic. 

World exclusive my @$$. 

• Reply 31 of 159
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Wouldn't it be really, really fun if in a couple of weeks Apple announced something completely different from these leaks we've seen?

(No, I don't expect that to happen, but the very thought of it makes me smile.)

• Reply 32 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Wouldn't it be really, really fun if in a couple of weeks Apple announced something completely different from these leaks we've seen?

(No, I don't expect that to happen, but the very thought of it makes me smile.)

I wish they did. I don't like the design of the back side - there are 3 lines.I think it looks bad.

I want one solid color. 

• Reply 33 of 159

Link bait. 

My friend, who sells aluminum siding, encyclopedias, and Amway products, has a website with "a world exclusive" video of an iPhone 5. Would you like the URL? 

Side note: AI forums uses the same keyboard shortcut for inserting a link as Safari does for entering an URL. However, the AI shortcut takes precedence when the focus is in a field. Bogus. 

• Reply 34 of 159

Yes, it's called the Mac Pro and the bottom of an iMac.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

When I see that cludge of holes either side of the dock . . .

I just don't see the hand of Jony Ive.

Is there another Apple product with holes like that ?

Perhaps he was inspired by a shower radio . . . or a pepper pot.

Strange 'leak' this one.

• Reply 35 of 159
    Fake or not it still is a good mockup. They will still be coming right until launch date. I hope that there is an element of surprise to the launch. I know they leak everything Apple is going to do.

Just bring whatever it really is on!! Got money to spend on new shiny Apple products.
  • Reply 36 of 159

So summarizing of what to expect in 11 days:

The Good:

We cannot possibly know and therefore cannot complain about what is not in the device. 

The Bad:

We cannot possibly know and therefore cannot complain about what is not in the device. 

The Ugly:

Fixed. Also, your bit about the bezels is complete nonsense. It shows you don't plan to ever hold your phone.

Please notice the 5th word in the title.

Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

Double down security team... Fired

Stop.

Originally Posted by MrENGLISH(TM) View Post

The font for the "iPhone" lettering is completely wrong.  It should be Myriad Pro.  The other text looks wrong too.

This is what the back of a REAL iPhone looks like

Please notice the 5th word in the title.

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You can expect it to be present in iPhone 5 and in iPhone 35.  

I actually expect something similar to a Home Button in OS XI, or whatever Apple calls their third desktop computing revolution that completely redefines what it means to be a computer.

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Yes, it's called the Mac Pro and the bottom of an iMac.

You don't put those in your pocket, though! image No lint there… 

• Reply 37 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

1) The bezels are actually smaller than the last phone, by quite a bit too.  There is also not a micron of "wasted space" in any of the iPhone designs, that's just a dumbass thing to say.  Everything you see there is there because it *has* to be there, they didn't just add a bunch of empty space or attach giant bezels to the thing for no reason.  What an absolutely idiotic thing to say.  

2) The Home button is one of the central features of the phone, it's part of the UI and it will *never* be eliminated.  It's also there so that the blind and other handicapped people can use the phone.  The capacitive buttons on Android phones are one of the single most complained about items by users of Android phones.  The Home button is a great thing, an integral part of the design, is loved by almost everyone and isn't going anywhere, ever.  You can expect it to be present in iPhone 5 and in iPhone 35.  

In short you understand nothing of the iPhone design, how it works, or the reasons for this or that feature being included. You also seem to know nothing about how design works in general,and yet you come here and give us your pronouncements on what they should or shouldn't include in the next iPhone.  See the problem?  

I am afraid you are either confusing design with design compromises or in some serious denial. As an end user I should not really care that the fat top bezel is there just to fit the cameras utilizing an entire case depth, and the bottom bezel is there to make a place for the Home button. The fact that they are actually smaller (and not as wide as on previous generations) is that Apple recognizes the problem and tries to fix it as much as the technology allows.

I am pretty sure that they will eventually get rid of the bezels along with the Home button maybe as soon as iPhone-7 redesign.

Then you entire post will look ridiculous.

• Reply 38 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

When I see that cludge of holes either side of the dock . . .

I just don't see the hand of Jony Ive.

Is there another Apple product with holes like that ?

Perhaps he was inspired by a shower radio . . . or a pepper pot.

Strange 'leak' this one.

Aren't there speaker grill on the MacBook Pro?  And I know the underside of of my 2006 white iMac has similar holes.

/

/

• Reply 39 of 159

Anyone who has seen an iPhone in real life knows this aint one.  Most amusing :)

• Reply 40 of 159

I am pretty sure that they will eventually get rid of the bezels along with the Home button maybe as soon as iPhone-7 redesign. Then you entire post will look ridiculous.

Suggesting they'll get rid of the top and bottom of the phone where the Home Button and speaker/camera HAVE TO RESIDE already looks ridiculous.