Apple adds Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note to amended 'Galaxy Nexus' complaint

Comments

• Reply 201 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminjayz View Post

it says on wiki that android 1st developed 2005 and the 1st iphone came out in 2007

so looks like apple was the theives .

quotes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

The first iPhone was unveiled by Steve Jobs, late CEO of Apple, on January 9, 2007,[1] and released on June 29, 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

Google financially backed the initial developer of the software, Android Inc., and later purchased it in 2005.[8] The unveiling of the Android distribution in 2007 was announced with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance

ive had all the iphones and about 5 android phones ,and id rather have the freedom i have with my samsung galaxy s3 than be forced by apple how to have my phone any day .

i rest my case .

OMG look you guys. It just registered. Oh, and it's even got a proper "z" at the end of its name. It  tried to form a logical argument but fell short and rested its case on a logical fallacy (the oh-so-versatile undistributed middle term). That's so cute, you guys! Can we keep it?

• Reply 202 of 369

Quote:

it says on wiki that android 1st developed 2005 and the 1st iphone came out in 2007

so looks like apple was the theives .

quotes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

The first iPhone was unveiled by Steve Jobs, late CEO of Apple, on January 9, 2007,[1] and released on June 29, 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

Google financially backed the initial developer of the software, Android Inc., and later purchased it in 2005.[8] The unveiling of the Android distribution in 2007 was announced with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance

ive had all the iphones and about 5 android phones ,and id rather have the freedom i have with my samsung galaxy s3 than be forced by apple how to have my phone any day .

i rest my case .

What case?

http://www.teknoids.net/content/earliest-known-photos-apple-ipad-prototype

Quote:

Now based on previous reports and deposition testimony, we can say with reasonable certainty that iPhone development began in late 2004/early 2005. Indeed, a 2008 Wired article relayed that Apple's first meeting with Cingular (now AT&T) transpired in February of 2005 where Jobs discussed the notion of a "Motorola-free partnership".

Development of the iPhone began in 2005, and possibly earlier.  

Quote:

It was a late morning in the fall of 2006. Almost a year earlier, Steve Jobs had tasked about 200 of Apple's top engineers with creating the iPhone. 

And finally:

http://blog.cleartrip.com/2010/06/16/what-android-looked-like-circa-2007/

• Reply 203 of 369

Quote:

the touchwiz feels nothing like the ios.

Some troll's anecdotal opinion vs. a court's, and that of a jury of troll's own peers. 

I wonder which one should be taken seriously. 

/s

• Reply 204 of 369
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

theres always going to be compition

When is the "compition" going to begin?

One company simply copying another is not"compition".

• Reply 205 of 369
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Found this in a blog post, thought is was funny, especially the last line. (I think the ad is just a fake mock up since there are a few typos)

• Reply 206 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamz82277 View Post

It's a waste of time and money when it is overturned for jury misconduct. The jury foreman got on video stating that half the jury was siding with Samsung until he convinced them that prior art didn't constitute prior art. That billion dollars is about to be severely reduced or overturned completely, and when the case gets to Washington, the patents are going to be invalidated altogether as "Obvious". Laugh now, cry later dude.

I'm not sure if I understand the CA jury system, since I live in a country that doesn't do juries. I did live in Australia for a while and served on a jury there once on a criminal case, and we had clear instructions not to consider anything we knew from anywhere but the courtroom, and to keep the jury room deliberations confidential.

The first part appears to apply in this trial, so a mistrial could be a problem. There's also a pretty good reason to maintain jury-room confidentiality. There are obvious conflicts of interest in a case like this: doing something dramatic and getting yourself all over the media is just a start.

• Reply 207 of 369

hahaha

this is funny ,its like a game of tennis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19433019

• Reply 208 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Keep hitting them hard Apple! I've always wished for this to go thermonuclear! Apple shouldn't rest for a single moment! Keep them lawyers working 24-7-365, as there are plenty of copycats and rotten thieves out there left to sue.

And meanwhile, the propagandists will be hard at work, talking some nonsense about how this is bad for the consumer, some crap about having less options. Buying a stolen ripoff should not be an option, unless you are a slimy character who does not believe in IP rights. I say screw those kinds of consumers! 

And here's a special message for all Fandroids out there, I hope that the phone or tablet that you just bought ends up getting banned. You deserve it. Either way, your phone will be obsolete pretty soon, ban or no ban.image

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Keep hitting them hard Apple! I've always wished for this to go thermonuclear! Apple shouldn't rest for a single moment! Keep them lawyers working 24-7-365, as there are plenty of copycats and rotten thieves out there left to sue.

And meanwhile, the propagandists will be hard at work, talking some nonsense about how this is bad for the consumer, some crap about having less options. Buying a stolen ripoff should not be an option, unless you are a slimy character who does not believe in IP rights. I say screw those kinds of consumers! 

And here's a special message for all Fandroids out there, I hope that the phone or tablet that you just bought ends up getting banned. You deserve it. Either way, your phone will be obsolete pretty soon, ban or no ban.image

So if these simple utility patents are removed from Android or proven to be of prior art, what then? What is Apple going to do to keep "hitting them hard"? These new phones are nothing like the iPhone and Jellybean is completely different from iOS. Both OSes have diverged and gone in different directions. So what exactly are you expecting to happen?

What is up with your rage? You hope the phones and tablets that other people purchased end up being banned? You mentioned that it is propoganda that Apple wants less choice. Let me see. Apple wants to ban ALL the competition...that seems to equate to LESS CHOICE for the consumer to me. I guess that is what you want...people only have a choice of buying an iPhone or...wait for it....NOTHING else.

• Reply 209 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahblade View Post

Apple is correct to protect it's properties, because if they don't... They will end up like Sony. This crusade is for past wrongs and preemptive strike on the behalf of future innovative products / software. Fight on Apple!!!

Sony failed purely due to hubris and the sale of substandard electronics (compared to their past electronic devices). 

• Reply 210 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hi Mr Harder.

I've got a Galaxy Nexus and an iPhone 4 and an HTC Cha Cha but I can't be bothered taking photo's, I did make this video demonstrating how an S III lags slightly when swiping your finger across the screen.

What's that thing with the screen going black when opening Java programs, it's pretty annoying and what's with that blue glow crap when you reach the end of a list, is that trying to hide Apple's bounce back?

I can make another video of that if you want.

What does this, in ANY way, have to do with you stating that the SIII is very similar to the iPod Touch?

• Reply 211 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by lvri View Post

The US patent system is really broken and ridiculous !

I'm really happy to live in a country which won't accept such idiot patent.

Soon, there will be only one smartphone in the US .... Good for choice and liberty ! :-/

Apple didn't invent all these things !

My iPhone 4 will stay my last Apple smartphone. I'll go back to Nexus !

Already did this. I am keeping the iPhone 4 to play my DRM-riddled (Japan iTunes store) music ... fairplay my arse. I am using both my Samsung Focus and my Galaxy Nexus until I decide on which one I will stick with for the last year of my AT&T contract.

• Reply 212 of 369

Quote:

hahaha

The tennis court everyone wants to win on is the US market. That's the market in which brand power and mindshare are made. This is the market in which your product (under current market dynamics) either achieves "star power" or it doesn't.

This, in turn, influences consumers in other markets. 

The ruling that *really* matters already happened. In the US. 

Further, Apple has so much brand power at this point, that any official ban on products will simply drive up demand (and create a huge black market), or cause a lot of protest.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/01/13/iphone-china.html

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/15/chinese-customs-tells-proview-that-ban-of-ipad-exports-would-be-difficult/

Quote:

However, China's customs authorities told Proview that it would be difficult to execute such a ban due to the popularity of Apple's products:

"The customs have told us that it will be difficult to implement a ban because many Chinese consumers love Apple products. The sheer size of the market is very big," Yang Long-san, chief of Proview Technology (Shenzhen), told Reuters in a telephone interview on Wednesday.

Any way you slice it, the cards are stacked massively in Apple's favour, due to their usual legal savvy, but particularly due to astronomical consumer enthusiasm and demand, which, in turn, is due purely to the strength of Apple's line of products. It all comes down to the product. Not to universal licensing. Not to market flooding. But the fact that Apple gear is insanely great. 

• Reply 213 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Protectionism? Outcompete? Those words don't apply here. Protecting intellectual property isn't protectionism. Shoveling cheep knockoff products onto the market isn't competing, it's flooding the market with counterfeits. (And, even though you didn't mention it, releasing cheap knockoffs of other people's technology isn't innovation.)

However, there are a number of similarities between Apple v. Samsung and Dupont v Kolon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuPont_v._Kolon_Industries

So, let's throw "political correctness" on the rubbish heap and get right to the point. Economically successful Asian countries are so because they have adopted (and to be fair, in many cases refined) a number of practices that originated in the West. In fact, our entire modern world is founded on scientific and economic advances that wouldn't have been possible without the advances in thought and culture brought about by what we now call Western Civilization. (Which is not to say that they would never have existed otherwise, just that they were necessary to get to where we are today, and that it was, specifically, the West where these changes came about.) Which is not to say that their is nothing of value in Asian culture, the facts are quite to the contrary, but modern science, technology and economic systems, which define the modern world, are Western inventions, inventions of a game that everyone is invited to play.

And it's a game that works beautifully as long as everyone plays by the rules. The problem with games, however, is that, if you don't get caught and penalized, cheating will usually allow you to do better than those who stick to the rules. We have our own problem in the West with cheaters, cheating is nothing new in this game. (Google is one of the most egregious cheaters in modern times.) But, it's an undeniable fact that cheating is rampant in many Asian countries, particularly in the practice on not respecting rules that apply to intellectual property. You can rail on that these accusations are evidence of bias, prejudice, whatever you want to call it, but the facts very simply are that intellectual property theft (among other offenses, such as currency manipulation as practiced, for example by China) is commonplace in many Asian countries. In other words, Asia is cheating in the game.

South Korea, however, is a special case. South Korea wouldn't even exist today were it not for Western intervention. South Korea wouldn't even exist today if it weren't propped up by U.S. taxpayer dollars for the past 60 years. So, perhaps you can understand that South Korean intellectual property piracy, at the expense of U.S. companies, is particularly offensive to anyone in the U.S. who isn't attempting to keep up a pretense that everyone is equally good. It's a slap in the face to U.S. taxpayers, whose money built South Korea, to watch South Korean companies steal from us. It's a betrayal from a people who would be working in labor camps if we hadn't saved their asses and poured billions of dollars into their economy over the years.

So, yes, South Korea, and in particular South Korean companies like Samsung and Kolon, do need to be taught a lesson. The lesson that you don't bite the hand that feeds you. The lesson that cheating won't be allowed at our expense when you are feeding at the trough of U.S. taxpayer dollars and our military is defending your borders, and our soldiers have died for your freedom.

If South Korean companies actually had any honor, rather than just maintaining a facade of honor hiding a complete lack of morals, there wouldn't be these issues. You can be as angry as you damn please that South Korean companies are being called out for cheating, for stabbing U.S. companies in particular in the back, but only denying the truth of the situation, turning your back completely on any real honor, engaging in rank hypocrisy, will allow you to pretend to be the injured party in this affair. So, rant on, if you like, but you won't find many sympathetic ears in the U.S., just a lot of entirely justifiable anger.

1. The U.S. has kept supporting S. Korea since it gave us a military hold in the region, not because we are nice guys. We didn't save the S. Korean people, we stopped Soviet expansion in the region. The moment S. Korea is no longer an asset we would pull out in a heartbeat. The only reason we spend our tax dollars there is because it suits us. 

2. I find it rather offensive that you claim S. Korean companies are honorless, while implying that somehow the U.S. companies aren't. 

• Reply 214 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why in the world would a US patent case be tried in Japan? It was a U.S. case involving U.S. law and U.S. Patents. And Apple won decisively.

Then what is Apple suing about in Europe, S. Korea, Japan and Australia? What was Apple asking European countries to ban Samsung products over if not Apple's patents?

• Reply 215 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

1. The U.S. has kept supporting S. Korea since it gave us a military hold in the region, not because we are nice guys. We didn't save the S. Korean people, we stopped Soviet expansion in the region. The moment S. Korea is no longer an asset we would pull out in a heartbeat. The only reason we spend our tax dollars there is because it suits us. 

2. I find it rather offensive that you claim S. Korean companies are honorless, while implying that somehow the U.S. companies aren't. 

#2 is very well said.

• Reply 216 of 369
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

hahaha

Wow, I am shocked.

The BBC used to be a bastion of the proper use of the English language, yet in the opening two paragraphs we find this:-

"A court in Tokyo has ruled that Samsung Electronics did not infringe on patents held by Apple, a victory for the South Korean company.

The patent was related to transferring media content between devices."

There has only been one patent ruled upon so far.

• Reply 217 of 369
    LOL. Is there a "just kidding" Apple?
    Ping?
  • Reply 218 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Ping?

Ping?

That's like holding off on buying a Ferrari because you don't like the floor mats. 

• Reply 219 of 369
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

• Reply 220 of 369

Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

Naive Apple believes that everyone will trade modern devices for iphone.

Naive troll thinks its phones that can't have their software updated (just like cell phones before the iPhone never got updates) are 'modern devices'.

I use an LG VX5300 as my phone-phone right now. It's… six years old, I believe. In that time, I have never received a software update for it. If I wanted to keep living like that, I'd buy an Android phone. But I think I'd rather buy another iPhone, because my iPhone has, in the five years I've had it, received… 18 software updates. How many do brand new Android phones receive, I wonder… from none to three.

More apple spends time in court - more I believe that there will be nothing special and exciting in the 6th iPhone .

Ah, so Apple's legal team is the same as their hardware and software design teams, and they're "wasting time" in court to the detriment of the phone you know absolutely nothing about. I see.

yeah it may be the 6th device , but it still be labled the iphone 5 .

EXCEPT NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST.

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

And I'd bet that if one of the mods check the actual location of your IP, it won't be Tampa, FL

I am only replying to this because the correct answer is already publicly put forth by the person in question.

why worry what the big guns are fighting about just enjoy your tech and look forward to the next big thing .

its all good in the end for the consumer as companies try harder to give us there best.

This entire argument is based on a flawed premise.

the touchwiz feels nothing like the ios.

Except we just had a lawsuit that says otherwise.

Originally Posted by Dvoraak View Post

…excitement… dull… Apple is about to have real problems if it doesn't shake up iOS. Given the same diet, day after day, everyone gets bored eventually.

Originally Posted by vitaminjayz View Post

well the ios is stale , and dont look like ios 6 is going to be anything of a major change , i know my son is beta testing it .

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I love how all these people have suddenly changed tack, now we are on to the good old  "iOS is stale" routine.

Agreed. I'll say it again: if you treat your OS like you treat your bread, there's a problem somewhere. And it's not with the OS.

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

OMG look you guys. It just registered. Oh, and it's even got a proper "z" at the end of its name. It  tried to form a logical argument but fell short and rested its case on a logical fallacy (the oh-so-versatile undistributed middle term). That's so cute, you guys! Can we keep it?

I'm curious if your theory is actually correct. The fact that I'm even having to seriously consider this probably means something… 

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Ping?