Apple takes issue with post-trial decision timeline, asks court to reschedule hearings

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    edwardkim wrote: »
    I call ALL tech companies stop suing each other in ALL nations, and focus on innovating.

Since twice isn't apparently enough for it to sink in, I'll repeat:
    What a coincidence. That's what Apple wants, too.

If Samsung, htc, google, et al were to develop their own products instead of slavishly copying Apple's, these court battles would not need to happen.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

Apple, please stop abusing broken American petent system

I don't think apple owns or has ever sued over any petents so I think you are ok there, now patents are another story

• Reply 43 of 89
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

and your childish comments make fool of yourself.

*snicker*

I couldn't resist

• Reply 44 of 89
    I own many Apple products but, do not appreciate Apple being bully.
    Your comments are highly offensive, and your childish comments make fool of yourself.
    Be careful with what you say ...

Anyone else think this guy might be working for Samsung?

Too much to be just coincidental by now..
  • Reply 45 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

The people -did- decide. That's the point of a jury trial.

Jury trial is just a part of marketing! People are not the one who made the verdict. well. lawyers are also people but they are just after the big money they can earn. I am talking with the people who are consumers.

• Reply 46 of 89

Quote:

Well said !!!

Let the consummers be the judge and vote with their hard earned money, for their individual needs, without being manipulated by the flawed US patent and legal systems.

That's true... consumers are the one who knows which product are much useful to them! Who cares about the patents? Probably not the consumers for sure.

• Reply 47 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fatusmiles wrote: »

That's true... consumers are the one who knows which product are much useful to them! Who cares about the patents? Probably not the consumers for sure.

Which is why there's a court system in the United States to ensure that companies don't steal IP from other companies.

Too bad Samsung lost - I hope they can still afford to pay you for your trolling.
  • Reply 48 of 89

Quote:

Well said !!!

Let the consummers be the judge and vote with their hard earned money, for their individual needs, without being manipulated by the flawed US patent and legal systems.

Intellectual Property rights have nothing to do with consumer interests. Apple is claiming a competitor stole what's theirs and have demonstrated loss. Under the law Apple has IP rights. 

It isn't for consumers to purchase goods that violate someone's intellectual property rights. No matter how much you want to, you're not entitled to it in the least. There is nothing for you to decide in this regard, because your needs aren't relevant to the issue. 

• Reply 49 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post

Who cares about the patents? 

Those who care about the integrity of their ideas. 

http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/en/patents_faq.html#protection

• Reply 50 of 89

Quote:

Jury trial is just a part of marketing! People are not the one who made the verdict. 

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Jury+Verdict

Who was it, then? Ghosts? Aliens?

• Reply 51 of 89

Quote:

Jury trial is just a part of marketing! People are not the one who made the verdict. well. lawyers are also people but they are just after the big money they can earn. I am talking with the people who are consumers.

I guess you don't know about the American court system. Understandable I suppose...

A jury is made up of your peers (which means that they are ordinary people - just like you and me [except they are not paid to give their opinions like you apparently are])

It must suck in your country to be judged by those corrupt judges and lawyers making all that big money.

• Reply 52 of 89
    glemmestad wrote: »
    I own many Apple products but, do not appreciate Apple being bully.
    Your comments are highly offensive, and your childish comments make fool of yourself.
    Be careful with what you say ...

Anyone else think this guy might be working for Samsung?

Too much to be just coincidental by now..

No, I don't work for Samsung.

Apple makes great products but, they have poor character of accusing others copying Apple innovations while Apple themselves copy and purchase innovations by others.

Apple was once nearly bankrupted, and the mighty Microsoft saved Apple. Yet, Steve Jobs did not have much kind words for Bill Gate, and is so determind to kill its competition at all costs, including abusing the broken patent and legal systems.

Now, the mighty Apple owes its competitions serious kindness to payback the kindness Apple received from Bill Gates and Microsoft.

No, I don't work for Microsoft, and am a retired Chief Technology Officer who believes in innovations AND good character ...
  • Reply 53 of 89

Apple was once nearly bankrupted, and the mighty Microsoft saved Apple.

Pro tip: Pirates of Silicon Valley is not a historical document. Pretending it is will only get you ignored, in more ways than one.

Yet, Steve Jobs did not have much kind words for Bill Gate, and is so determind to kill its competition at all costs, including abusing the broken patent and legal systems.

Though if you had actually watched the movie, you'd know how stupid this sounds.

• Reply 54 of 89

Quote:

No, I don't work for Samsung.

Apple makes great products but, they have poor character of accusing others copying Apple innovations while Apple themselves copy and purchase innovations by others.

EVEN IF THEY DID . . . so what?  Doesn't change anything about their products. It doesn't make your iPad faster or slower. Unless you consider "company character" an essential design feature. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

kindness Apple received from Bill Gates and Microsoft.

LOL. No. 

I'm very nearly convinced that the current crop of Apple trolls are just bots. They say a whole lotta nothing, other than slogans that read like it's their first day in an ESL course. 

Anyway, MS "saved" Apple because Apple had them over a barrel. MS, as usual in those days, was caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Caught with Apple's Quicktime code. Before they stole that, movies and other video wouldn't play properly in Windows. They would be jerky from frame to frame.

Apple threatened to sue.

They came to a settlement (wisely) in which Apple and MS would share patents in various bits of software, and also that MS would buy $150,000,000 in non voting Apple stock and announce support for Apple by continuing development of Office for at least 5 years.

This wasn't done out of the goodness of Gates' heart. Apple in effect used a bit of extortion on MS due to the latter's act of theft. It was in Billy's best interest to play Apple's game or face worse penalties. That $150 million investment in Apple was probably going to be a lot cheaper than a lawsuit with Apple.

So MS' $150m stock investment was the result of a settlement of a lawsuit. It was, however, an INITIAL payment of a much larger sum that would be paid out to Apple over the course of a few years. At the time this is what then Apple CFO Fred Anderson said. The exact amount of the settlement is still unknown.

Both companies would cross-license all existing patents and any new ones over the following five years. As we know, Apple would make IE the default Mac browser, which in the context of the period isn't a strange thing.

Apple had leverage over MS, arising from the Apple Computer vs. San Francisco Canyon Co. lawsuit.

Apple charged San Fran Canyon Co with copyright infringement and wrongdoing. And they filed an IP suit accordingly. These guys were a 3rd party contractor for Apple. However, the action also included MS and Intel. Canyon worked on video software for Apple's QuickTime for Windows and Intel's DCI. Apple claimed their copyrighted code was used in the shipping version of MS' Video for Windows and will be used by both companies in the future.

Apple claimed that after seeing demos of Quicktime for Windows and Video for Windows at the 1992 expo in Vegas, Intel's upper management asked Canyon to provide software to them that would make the speed of Video for Windows as fast as Quicktime. Months later, Canyon sent Intel its code and Video for Windows got the performance boost with Quicktime For Windows. Apple added Intel and MS to the action, and Apple showed that thousands of lines of code for video used in Windows came direct from Apple's Quicktime for Windows (Apple's software.)

As we know, some years later at the Boston Macworld Expo, the companies were like best friends.

MS and Intel got caught red-handed and paid for it. MS hired former Apple guys and finally made Office into usable Mac apps.

Not quite a win for MS. Apple simply took full advantage of MS' typical behaviour (the sort of behaviour that came to light later in antitrust court.)

Interestingly enough, had MS not acted like a thief at the time, Apple might not be where they are today.

These details weren't widely reported back in 1997. So they're easy to miss, probably due to all the breathlessness and emotional highs and lows going on at the time. There was a mention of other payments MS agreed to make in addition to the $150 million. The amount was never publicly disclosed (which isn't really surprising.) For instance, the particulars of the recent Apple-Nokia deal weren't disclosed publicly either. Apple's financial records at the time suggested it was substantial.

The only mention we have of these later payments was from a televised broadcast, and likely the settlement docs which may or many not be available for public perusal. 

Sent at 8/6/97; 10:11:21 AM;

More Info...from CNBC

Sorry to keep writing, but my brain feels like it's connected to a fire hose...

Apple and MS are also collaborating on Java. What this means for Sun is anybody's guess. Again, forgot about this.

Bruce Francis will interview Ed Woolard (Apple board member) at 10:30 ET (7:30 your time) on CNBC. JObs won't be talking to the press today.

It's my guess that CNNfn (if your cable system carries it) will have very extensive coverage of all this on Digital Jam at 11 eastern (8 your time), probably with lots of video. It's the only thing worth watching on fn, even though Steve Young (their lead anchor) hasn't a clue.

Sent at 8/6/97; 10:42:37 AM;

More Bruce Francis News

In addition to all the other stuff that has been said, Edgar Woolard, Apple Board member and DuPont Chairman jsut revealed to CNBC's Bruce Francis that MS will, as part of the patent settlement, make "balancing payments" to Apple over the next 5 years. He would not disclose the sum.

--------------

For your own interest and edification, start here:

• Reply 55 of 89

^^^^^^^

Never mind, I'll even do it for you. 

http://itlaw.wikia.com/wiki/Apple_v._San_Francisco_Canyon

Apple Computer, Inc. v. San Francisco Canyon Co. (filed Dec. 6, 1994).

Factual Background

San Francisco Canyon Co. was a software developer that contracted with Apple Computer in 1992 to port the QuickTime technology to Microsoft Windows. They made their first release of QuickTime for Windows in November 1992.

In July 1993, Intel contracted San Francisco Canyon Co. to improve the performance of Microsoft's Video for Windows technology on Intel processors. By the end of 1993, Intel and Microsoft had combined their efforts to improve Video for Windows by creating a joint technology called Display Control Interface, that was included in version 1.1d of Video for Windows.

Trial Court Proceedings

The lawsuit, filed on December 6, 1994, alleged that the San Francisco Canyon used some of the code developed under contract to Apple, in their additions to Video for Windows. Apple expanded the lawsuit to include Intel and Microsoft on February 10, 1995, alleging that Microsoft and Intel knowingly used the software company to aid them in stealing several thousand lines of Apple's QuickTime code in their effort to improve the performance of Video for Windows.

On March 3, 1995, a federal judge issued a temporary restraining order that prohibited Microsoft from distributing its current version of Video for Windows.[1] Microsoft subsequently released version 1.1e of Video for Windows, that removed all of the code contributed by San Francisco Canyon, stating in the release notes "does not include the low-level driver code that was licensed from Intel Corporation." Later testimony in the Microsoft anti-trust trial revealed that, at the time, Apple was threatening Microsoft with a multi-billion dollar lawsuit over the allegedly stolen code, and in return Bill Gates was threatening with the cancellation of Office for the Mac.[2]

In August 1997, Apple and Microsoft announced a settlement deal. Apple would drop all current lawsuits, including all lingering issues from the Apple Computer, Inc. v. Microsoft Corp. lawsuit and the "QuickTime source code" lawsuit, and agree to make Internet Explorer the default browser on the Macintosh unless the user explicitly chose the bundled Netscape browser. In return, Microsoft agreed to continue developing Office, Internet Explorer, and various developer tools and software for the Mac for the next five years, and purchase $150 million of non-voting Apple stock.*

The companies also agreed to mutual collaboration on Java technologies, and to cross-license all existing patents, and patents obtained during the five-year deal, with one another. [3]
  • Reply 56 of 89

Pro tip: Pirates of Silicon Valley is not a historical document. Pretending it is will only get you ignored, in more ways than one.
    Yet, Steve Jobs did not have much kind words for Bill Gate, and is so determind to kill its competition at all costs, including abusing the broken patent and legal systems.

Though if you had actually watched the movie, you'd know how stupid this sounds.

No, I did not read the book nor watched the movie that you referred to.
    My views are based my independent, objective and educated understanding of the widely known facts.
  • Reply 57 of 89

Quote:

My views are based my independent, objective and educated understanding of the widely known facts.

Except your "views" are neither. 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152257/apple-takes-issue-with-post-trial-decision-timeline-asks-court-to-reschedule-hearings/40#post_2181036

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152257/apple-takes-issue-with-post-trial-decision-timeline-asks-court-to-reschedule-hearings/40#post_2181039

Please stop spreading misinformation about the Apple-Microsoft settlement agreement. 

• Reply 58 of 89
    quadra 610 wrote: »

Except your "views" are neither. 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152257/apple-takes-issue-with-post-trial-decision-timeline-asks-court-to-reschedule-hearings/40#post_2181036

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152257/apple-takes-issue-with-post-trial-decision-timeline-asks-court-to-reschedule-hearings/40#post_2181039

Please stop spreading misinformation about the Apple-Microsoft settlement agreement. 

I am very impressed by your extensive knowledge about Apple v. Microsoft.

Now, I would encourage you to research and report to us on "generous heart" for which we Canadians are blessed with and appreciated by many ...
  • Reply 59 of 89

Quote:

Now, I would encourage you to research and report to us on "generous heart" 

It wouldn't have anything to do with the current discussion.

• Reply 60 of 89

Your views are lies, period. Either willful or borne of ignorance, but lies all the same.