New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012

Comments

• Reply 41 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jason98 wrote: »
    I am afraid you are either confusing design with design compromises or in some serious denial. As an end user I should not really care that the fat top bezel is there just to fit the cameras utilizing an entire case depth, and the bottom bezel is there to make a place for the Home button. The fact that they are actually smaller (and not as wide as on previous generations) is that Apple recognizes the problem and tries to fix it as much as the technology allows.

I am pretty sure that they will eventually get rid of the bezels along with the Home button maybe as soon as iPhone-7 redesign.
    Then you entire post will look ridiculous.

Your rational for Apple making the forehead, chin and Home Button a little smaller because they don't want them at all is ridiculous. Do you really think we are at a point of putting the camera's pixels into the display and touch matrix while keeping the display quality and camera quality just as good? How about the ear piece for the phone or the proximity sensor? I'm guessing those lose their usefulness when placed on the back of the phone.

If you think it through you'll realize that the slight reduction was required because of the increase in the display NOT because they are are idiots who just realized they are wasting space. If you do some basic measurements you'll see the different in the display height is farther than the difference in device length between models. They compromised to get a bigger display without adding too much additional size. In fact, it could be smaller by volume and weight than the 4S because of the reduced thickness.
  • Reply 42 of 159

LOL guys, 

It says model no. = A1303  !!

refer to Apple official Website it says A1303 => 3GS

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3939

• Reply 43 of 159
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

If that's true, Samsung is going to be all over Apple's backside.

Not like it'll matter, this mock-up looks like an Android phone to begin with.

Yup, because Samsung has done so well thus far.

• Reply 44 of 159

Ref: The speaker holes.

It reminds me of this.

The fake was 'leaked' before the announcement.

Not a patch on the real thing for style, but - pretty close design wise.

• Reply 45 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

All of these leaks are obviously coming from somewhere, and the lousy and unreliable workers who are responsible need to be punished and fired. The overall security at Foxconn plants and other plants that are producing parts for Apple is obviously far from acceptable. They're a joke!

I've said something similar to this before, but they should do full strip searches of everybody entering and leaving the plants. No cell phones w/cameras allowed and everybody should be checked when leaving work to make sure that they don't sneak any parts out with them. They should all have to walk through x-ray machines and be subject to body searches, just like at the airport. There are moles working there and they must be eliminated. If somebody smart and capable was in charge of security, nobody on the internet would have a freaking clue as to what the next iPhone would look like.

A few ignorant people worry about the wages at Foxconn plants, even though the wages there are very good, it's far more important to worry about the security at these plants which assembles goods for Apple.

First world problems...

• Reply 46 of 159
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Double down security team... Fired

Maybe they accidentally divided by two instead of multiplying....
  • Reply 47 of 159

Oh, and now I'm just shooting hoops with you guys here, not a prediction or nothing, just daydreaming . . .

I saw this video for an Omega watch.

Ceramics and Liquidmetal, materials close to Apple's heart.

Can you imagine an iPhone case made using this process, with Jony Ive's design ?

aaahh . . . (amoradala drifts off into sweet Apple dream. . . ;)

• Reply 48 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninadpchaudhari View Post

LOL guys, 

It says model no. = A1303  !!

refer to Apple official Website it says A1303 => 3GS

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3939

Yes. It was mentioned here, BTW:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/01/new_video_shows_realistic_mockup_of_fully_assembled_iphone_5_at_ifa_2012.html

• Reply 49 of 159
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152264/new-video-shows-realistic-mockup-of-fully-assembled-iphone-5-at-ifa-2012#post_2180681"]All of these leaks are obviously coming from somewhere, and the lousy and unreliable workers who are responsible need to be punished and fired. The overall security at Foxconn plants and other plants that are producing parts for Apple is obviously far from acceptable. They're a joke!

I've said something similar to this before, but they should do full strip searches of everybody entering and leaving the plants. No cell phones w/cameras allowed and everybody should be checked when leaving work to make sure that they don't sneak any parts out with them. They should all have to walk through x-ray machines and be subject to body searches, just like at the airport. There are moles working there and they must be eliminated. If somebody smart and capable was in charge of security, nobody on the internet would have a freaking clue as to what the next iPhone would look like.

A few ignorant people worry about the wages at Foxconn plants, even though the wages there are very good, it's far more important to worry about the security at these plants which assembles goods for Apple.
    It's a smartphone, not a nuclear bomb or a something of national security. So what if it gets leaked.

It's not like someone is passing around nude pics of your mom on the Internet. Some people are just too emotionally attached to an inanimate object that you have to PAY MONEY FOR.
  • Reply 50 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

I just don't see the hand of Jony Ive.

Agreed.  Nor the work of the late Steve Jobs.

• Reply 51 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    amoradala wrote: »
    Oh, and now I'm just shooting hoops with you guys here, not a prediction or nothing, just daydreaming . . .

I saw this video for an Omega watch.

<object width="640" height="390" data=""><param name="movie" value="">
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
    <!--[if IE]><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="390" /><![endif]--></object>

Ceramics and Liquidmetal, materials close to Apple's heart.
    Can you imagine an iPhone case made using this process, with Jony Ive's design ?

aaahh . . . (amoradala drifts off into sweet Apple dream. . . ;)

I know Anand said the 6th gen iPhone won't have NFC because there isn't enough room for the NFC without interference but what if that back plate is invisible to RF? Doesn't LiquidMetal have that capability?

Still, since we haven't any rumours about partnering to make merchant sales feasible I doubt it's coming this year.
  • Reply 52 of 159
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

It's a smartphone, not a nuclear bomb or a something of national security. So what if it gets leaked.

It's not like someone is passing around nude pics of your mom on the Internet. Some people are just too emotionally attached to an inanimate object that you have to PAY MONEY FOR.

Pictures of somebody's naked mom on the internet is far less important than the new design of an Apple phone. People post nude pictures of other people on the internet all of the time, it's hardly a rare event or anything that is of any importance that will affect many people.

Anybody who owns even just one Apple stock should care about the insane amount of leaks involving Apple's products. Corporate espionage and industrial theft trumps somebody's naked mom. 

• Reply 53 of 159
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152264/new-video-shows-realistic-mockup-of-fully-assembled-iphone-5-at-ifa-2012/40#post_2180811"]Pictures of somebody's naked mom on the internet is far less important than the new design of an Apple phone. People post nude pictures of other people on the internet all of the time, it's hardly a rare event or anything that is of any importance that will affect many people.

Anybody who owns even just one Apple stock should care about the insane amount of leaks involving Apple's products. Corporate espionage and industrial theft trumps somebody's naked mom. 

Again, you are taking this too personally. And anyone that owns Apple stock right now isn't likely worried about leaks, they're looking at their fast growing investment.

It's damn near impossible to control leaks when you don't control every single aspect of production. When you have multiple suppliers/contractors in multiple factories in multiple countries, it becomes harder to contain.

Besides, all the leaks mean Apple stays in the tech news cycle 24-7 and even the major newspapers get in on the action. Everyone hangs on every word about everything Apple... why else would you even be here? What would AI have to write about if there weren't parts leaks, model number leaks, insider speculation, etc.

You "hate on the leaks" yet indulge on a "leaks" based site. Explain that one.
  • Reply 54 of 159
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Contrary to what most people believe here, I think the NFC chip will be there; However, it is rendered inactive/unusable until it is being incorporated/activated by one iteration of future IOS fixes/updates. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The Bad:

-------------

No NFC

• Reply 55 of 159

Quote:

You "hate on the leaks" yet indulge on a "leaks" based site. Explain that one.

I come here because I own and use a lot of Apple's products, and this is where I get to talk about Apple related stuff, including AAPL, which I happen to own a small amount of. That doesn't mean that I condone leaks and people stealing from Apple, quite the contrary.

One thing is shooting the breeze and speculating about which features a new Apple product will have or will not have, but it's something completely different when moles start leaking confidential info or stealing parts. Those criminals should be in jail.

• Reply 56 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Those patents aren't FRAND, chief.

The standards essential patents are.

• Reply 57 of 159
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152264/new-video-shows-realistic-mockup-of-fully-assembled-iphone-5-at-ifa-2012/40#post_2180816"]I come here because I own and use a lot of Apple's products, and this is where I get to talk about Apple related stuff, including AAPL, which I happen to own a small amount of. That doesn't mean that I condone leaks and people stealing from Apple, quite the contrary.

One thing is shooting the breeze and speculating about which features a new Apple product will have or will not have, but it's something completely different when moles start leaking confidential info or stealing parts. Those criminals should be in jail.

You are expecting way too much with regards to secrecy. This isn't like the formula for Coca-Cola, or Kentucky Fried Chicken, or Bush's Baked Beans where the recipe is held close to the vest and isn't accessible by many people.

Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people come in contact with Apple components. Leaks are going to happen. PERIOD. Get over it, move on.
  • Reply 58 of 159

Quote:

This isn't like the formula for Coca-Cola, or Kentucky Fried Chicken, or Bush's Baked Beans where the recipe is held close to the vest and isn't accessible by many people.

Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people come in contact with Apple components. Leaks are going to happen. PERIOD. Get over it, move on.

I agree that many more people will come into contact with Apple components than with any of those other companies "secret" recipes, though I don't agree that Apple's secrets are any less important than any of those "secret" food and drink recipes, which you seem to be implying. Apple is a far bigger company than any of those companies, and there could be better security. Hundreds of thousands of people work for Foxconn, so what? They should step up their security and so should all of Apple's suppliers. Leaks will happen, though that doesn't mean that steps can't be taken to minimize them.

• Reply 59 of 159
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152264/new-video-shows-realistic-mockup-of-fully-assembled-iphone-5-at-ifa-2012/40#post_2180821"]
    I agree that many more people will come into contact with Apple components than with any of those other companies "secret" recipes, though I don't agree that Apple's secrets are any less important than any of those "secret" food and drink recipes, which you seem to be implying. Apple is a far bigger company than any of those companies, and there could be better security. Hundreds of thousands of people work for Foxconn, so what? They should step up their security and so should all of Apple's suppliers. Leaks will happen, though that doesn't mean that steps can't be taken to minimize them.
    Who's to say they haven't stepped up security? And I wasn't implying that Apple's secrets are less important, just that they open themselves up to bigger security holes based on the nature of its products/production method. As I said, multiple product lines, each with hundreds of parts, handled by hundreds of thousands of people...

You do the math.

Security is enforced/enacted by man. Man is fallible. You can have all the security in the world, and all it takes is one slip-up, and EVERYTHING is on the table. (lost iPhone 4 prototype).
  • Reply 60 of 159
    I'm so not excited by the next iPhone. There better be something technically interesting about it other than the taller screen, LTE, and new cameras or I won't be replacing my 4S. I'm really not looking forward to having all my cables and accessories rendered useless by the new dock, plus I'm concerned about the component video and analog audio output being ditched in the new connector.