Apple adds Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note to amended 'Galaxy Nexus' complaint

Comments

• Reply 321 of 369

http://cheezburger.com/6549760768

Good picture, how true.

I've tested several phones before buying the Xperia X10 Mini pro and honestly I didn't remark the flip back nor the rounded corners. Still need to check my phone for the back flip which seems Samsung only.

But hey I bought it because:

- I could have bought 10 Xperia for the price of 1 Iphone

- it's smaller and lighter

- has more features

So saying I would have bought instead is insane. I simply don't have the money for such, sorry. I would have sticked to my 10 years old Sony/Ericsson.

The whole indemnity is ridiculous to the max.

• Reply 322 of 369

The verdict was okay, that Samsung has to pay for copying design and UI, but now is pure Apple madness.

The Slide to Unlock patent, really? In european courts is been thrown out, because a Swedish Smartphone had as a feature it in 2005, and in the firmware it was born with, said "slide to unlock" and all other Apple software patents did not infringe. (HTC and Samsung cases)

Goto 4.00 min. in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-KS2kfIr0

Apple gets patent on the Wedge Form Design in 2012, which Sony designed in 2004

http://www.dailytech.com/Virtually+Every+Ultrabook+Appears+to+Violate+New+Apple+Patent/article24886.htm

Over 40 years of developing multi touch

http://www.billbuxton.com/multitouchOverview.html

and then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JZBLjxPBUU

So I think thats Apple has got wrong patents, because much of the stuff has been seen before and it gives a picture that Apple will use the US courts to keep out competition on the smartphone and ultrabooks market, instead of innovation(that they used to be known for).

As I see it High end Andriods miles ahead and IOS6 is basicly a rip off of Android, Google maps/latitude (find my friends), SamsungDive (find my phone), Chrome (iTabs), S2(reply with text and reminder), tasker app (Don't disturb) and S-Voice(open apps)

PS. Sorry for my spelling I'm a Dane!

• Reply 323 of 369

^^^^

If you're going to set up alt accounts on AI just to troll, at least make it less obvious.

• Reply 324 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You know I've seen this picture million times and I still don't get it. Does anyone confuse an iPod with a Braun thermostat? They look nothing alike except they're both white. This Braun own a patent on the color white?

And before anyone chimes in with 'the Galaxy S III looks nothing like an iPhone', many of the patent issues Apple has with Samsung have nothing to do with the look and feel of the hardware but are software related.

No, this has nothing to do directly with apple vs samsung patent war. For me It was just a game changer - suddenly so called "revolutionary genius-creative design" from Jony Ive wasn't so  "revolutionary genius-creative design " anymore. That's all.

• Reply 325 of 369
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hi Mr Harder.

I've got a Galaxy Nexus and an iPhone 4 and an HTC Cha Cha but I can't be bothered taking photo's, I did make this video demonstrating how an S III lags slightly when swiping your finger across the screen.

What's that thing with the screen going black when opening Java programs, it's pretty annoying and what's with that blue glow crap when you reach the end of a list, is that trying to hide Apple's bounce back?

I can make another video of that if you want.

HAHAHA

hill60? = isheep

Not from me

It is a comment to you from COOLxMASTERxM on your Youtube re: SIII lag.

Maybe you are after seeing your 'Would you like to be on YouTube'.

• Reply 326 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

No, this has nothing to do directly with apple vs samsung patent war. For me It was just a game changer - suddenly so called "revolutionary genius-creative design" from Jony Ive wasn't so  "revolutionary genius-creative design " anymore. That's all.

It was certainly that, for an MP3 player. 

• Reply 327 of 369

Off the topic, but I have a question.

Is it really true that the music tracks and movies that you buy from iTunes are not your property?  ?%$#?

Bruce Willies is suing Apple.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/?newsid=3379054

• Reply 328 of 369
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hjb wrote: »
    Off the topic, but I have a question.

Is it really true that the music tracks and movies that you buy from iTunes are not your property?  ?%$#?

Bruce Willies is suing Apple.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/?newsid=3379054

The ownership is no different than CD music or DVD video one might buy. The only difference is the ability to transfer the content you don't own on the physical media you do own isn't possible since digital downloads are distributed to an account holder not to a physical piece of plastic.

What we need is a way for our content to be transferable without being copyable. However, that's not up to Apple, is it. You also now have iTS music that is DRM-free so you can copy at will.

Bottom line is that Apple will say to give them your email address and iTS password in your will and they will have access to the content. There is no law saying that the content of a digital online store requires that a single customer have a single login when they are gifted someone else's digital account content.

That said, as this form of distribution grows it would be nice if splitting and merging accounts became feasible. Do you start your 6yo with their own iTS account or let them use yours until their old enough?
  • Reply 329 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Well this just helped me to finally decide to ditch the iPhone and get the galaxy s3. Apple is a big bully and I don't want to support this sort of thing.

What if Apple wins this suit also?  Then you support thieves?  How does that make any sense?

Since Apple has plenty of money, it's ok for Samsung to steal from them and then sell their stolen product.  < Your justification of theft.  Not very nice.

The Robin Hood approach may seem valiant on paper.....but in the real world stealing gets you fined or imprisoned, depending on if you're a person or corporation.

• Reply 330 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The ownership is no different than CD music or DVD video one might buy. The only difference is the ability to transfer the content you don't own on the physical media you do own isn't possible since digital downloads are distributed to an account holder not to a physical piece of plastic.

What we need is a way for our content to be transferable without being copyable. However, that's not up to Apple, is it. You also now have iTS music that is DRM-free so you can copy at will.

Bottom line is that Apple will say to give them your email address and iTS password in your will and they will have access to the content. There is no law saying that the content of a digital online store requires that a single customer have a single login when they are gifted someone else's digital account content.

That said, as this form of distribution grows it would be nice if splitting and merging accounts became feasible. Do you start your 6yo with their own iTS account or let them use yours until their old enough?

Thanks, but sorry it does not make sense to me.

I have not thought about it.  But, should I be able to transfer any contents that I bought from iTunes to anyone I like?  (I am talking about musics, movies and books.)  

• Reply 331 of 369
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I have not thought about it.  But, should I be able to transfer any contents that I bought from iTunes to anyone I like?  (I am talking about musics, movies and books.)  

1) And you can. Just given the your log on credentials.

2) If you can't see how it makes sense that owning a CD doesn't mean you don't own the rights to the music recorded to the CD then there is absolutely nothing I can say that will make you understand the difference.
  • Reply 332 of 369
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

You can. Just set them up as one of your 5 authorized computers.

Apple doesn't have to allow unlimited distribution. In fact, it's pretty obvious that the record labels would never go for unlimited distribution.

solipsismx wrote: »

Willis is an idiot. It's no different than buying one of his DVDs. You own the physical media (the DVD in one case and the computer hard drive in the other) and only get the rights that are granted to you under the license. In both cases, that does not include the right to copy nor does it include the right to play the item in public.

And if Willis' lawyer takes the case, he should be immediately disbarred for incompetence. If he can't see that the two situations are nearly the same, he has no business practicing law.
  • Reply 333 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

What if Apple wins this suit also?  Then you support thieves?  How does that make any sense?

Since Apple has plenty of money, it's ok for Samsung to steal from them and then sell their stolen product.  < Your justification of theft.  Not very nice.

The Robin Hood approach may seem valiant on paper.....but in the real world stealing gets you fined or imprisoned, depending on if you're a person or corporation.

The galaxy S3 and Note 10.1 doesn't look or feel anything like Iphone or an Ipad, they are much more advanced, thats why Apple's new lawsuits suck.

With the new Bogus infringment claims it looks like Apple clearly want to stop smartphones that are alot better, than there product.

If Apple also wins this trial, then the US patent system really sucks big time!

You dont hear Audi/VW that invented TDI (twin-turbocharged direct injection diesel engine) whines about that any other car manufacturer make the same kind of the TDI tech. with different names, Audi/VW just makes it better and better, that called compitition!

• Reply 334 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedling View Post

The galaxy S3 and Note 10.1 doesn't look or feel anything like Iphone or an Ipad, they are much more advanced, thats why Apple's new lawsuits suck.

With the new Bogus infringment claims it looks like Apple clearly want to stop smartphones that are alot better, than there product.

Translation:

Quote:

The galaxy S3 and Note 10.1 doesn't look or feel anything like Iphone or an Ipad, they are much more bigger, thats why Apple's new lawsuits suck.

With the new well founded infringment claims it looks like Apple clearly want to stop smartphones that are alot bigger, than there product, but still copy them.

If Apple also wins this trial, then the US patent system really sucks big time! But, if Samsung, wins, the US patent system is wonderful.

I mean, it either sucks or it doesn't (the correct answer being doesn't) why would it only conditionally suck (or not suck) based on who wins a particular trial?

At least try to pretend to be rational when you come to post this nonsense here for your team.

• Reply 335 of 369

…they are much more advanced, thats why Apple's new lawsuits suck. With the new Bogus infringment claims it looks like Apple clearly want to stop smartphones that are alot better, than there product.

Thanks for throwing your credibility out the window early. Wish we had a badge we could stick on users so that this would be apparent, though… 

• Reply 336 of 369
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

You dont hear Audi/VW that invented TDI (twin-turbocharged direct injection diesel engine) whines about that any other car manufacturer make the same kind of the TDI tech. with different names, Audi/VW just makes it better and better, that called compitition!

Are the trolls still crying? wow youd think theyd be dehydrated by now.

• Reply 337 of 369

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Translation:

I mean, it either sucks or it doesn't (the correct answer being doesn't) why would it only conditionally suck (or not suck) based on who wins a particular trial?

At least try to pretend to be rational when you come to post this nonsense here for your team.

As I written before I think is fair, that Sammy has to pay for Copying Designs and UI, but now its got ridicolus..

In the EU Apple has lost there software patents law suits to HTC and Samsung "Slide to unlock" has been seen before.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18709232

Yeah so of cause I want HTC, Sammy and Moto to be acquitted of Apple Madness...

• Reply 338 of 369

Quote:

As I written before I think is fair, that Sammy has to pay for Copying Designs and UI, but now its got ridicolus..

[bunch of stuff about the EU irrelevant to the discussion at hand]

So, let's get this straight. Samsung was, in fact, as found by a US jury, guilty of patent infringement and should pay up (which includes removing infringing devices from the market). But, because they made some devices bigger, those devices aren't infringing because they are bigger, and applying that judgment to those devices is ridiculous?

Explain to us exactly how the larger size of these devices causes them to somehow not infringe the patents Samsung has been found guilty of infringing. Your explanation should include facts, some amount of logic and a generally well reasoned argument, and should not be based on any sort of magical thinking or emotionally based assertions.

• Reply 339 of 369

The S3, Note and note 10.1, there is no way that you can mistake it for an Apple product, thats why Apple has some new Patents infringements to claim and not the same infringements claims that Sammy Lost to cpoy design and UI patents. And why was the "Slide to unlock patent" in first lawsuit?

The new patent claims.

'647 "Data Detectors" patent - A system and method causes a computer to detect and perform actions on structures identified in computer data.

?????

'721 "Slide-to-unlock" patent - A device with a touch-sensitive display may be unlocked via gestures performed on the touch-sensitive display.

Neonode n1m 2005.

'172 "Word completion" invention - Method, system and graphical user interface for providing word recommendations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictive_text#Companies_and_products

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_completion

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_t68i-325.php look under features!

'604 "Universal search" patent - The present invention provides convenient access to the items of information that are related to various descriptors input by a user, by means of a unitary interface which is capable of accessing information in a variety of locations, through a number of different techniques.

(it has been made customized in S3/Jelly Bean, that I has to set which kind of search results I want, from phone (music, email, sms, Contacts, etc.etc which by default is off) or/and the Web.

• Reply 340 of 369

Quote:

The S3, Note and note 10.1, there is no way that you can mistake it for an Apple product, thats why Apple has some new Patents infringements to claim and not the same infringements claims that Sammy Lost to cpoy design and UI patents. And why was the "Slide to unlock patent" in first lawsuit?

The new patent claims.

'647 "Data Detectors" patent - A system and method causes a computer to detect and perform actions on structures identified in computer data.

?????

'721 "Slide-to-unlock" patent - A device with a touch-sensitive display may be unlocked via gestures performed on the touch-sensitive display.

Neonode n1m 2005.

'172 "Word completion" invention - Method, system and graphical user interface for providing word recommendations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictive_text#Companies_and_products

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_completion

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_t68i-325.php look under features!

'604 "Universal search" patent - The present invention provides convenient access to the items of information that are related to various descriptors input by a user, by means of a unitary interface which is capable of accessing information in a variety of locations, through a number of different techniques.

(it has been made customized in S3/Jelly Bean, that I has to set which kind of search results I want, from phone (music, email, sms, Contacts, etc.etc which by default is off) or/and the Web.

So, as you yourself point out, it's not just design patents that Samsung is infringing. And it wasn't just design patents they were found to infringe. So, it seems entirely logical that they would be banned for violating Apple's utility patents, which the size of the device has no bearing on. What you've listed above are simply 4 additional utility patents that Apple has added to the complaint. Seems like another slam dunk.