Apple's OS X passes Windows Vista in worldwide usage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder...and considering where most of apple revenue comes from(IPHONE), i wouldnt just assume because you like it, or a survey says something that its true..Hell if that was the case then Verizon would be loved and be a customer friendly company and not try to get every cent from us. Comparing all iOS to a windows version isnt fair and makes the site seem more biased and diluted then what would already be assumed by a fan site....what a waste of an article.

Macs and Mac OS X are still highly important to Apple. They still account for a huge chunk of their revenue and profit. On top of that, Macs make iDevice use better, and vice versa.

We know Apple realizes this as it's only been a year between 10.7 and 10.8, the start of Retina displays on Macs, and the switch in 10.8 to make them more visually compatible to help attract more iDevice users. Apple is also the most profitable vendor in the PC market worldwide.

My only wish is for Apple to have a new Mac-focused campaign this Autumn when the Win8 debacle launches. I expect this to be even worse than Vista after using it, Win Server 2012, and MS Office 2010. Too much change will scare a user base that has been fine with using the same OS for years and years on end. My hypothesis is that if a user has to relearn how to use an OS or have to deal with significant change the way Win8 is then they might as well consider a Mac.

PS: In all fairness, Win8 is a huge improvement over Win7. MS has finally made the NT kernel viable for Windows Phone 8 so hopefully in the future they'll have much of what has done with the once OS X umbrella for Mac OS X and iOS. That's something to triumph even if they've fudged it up in so many other areas.
  • Reply 22 of 100
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Most telling to me isn't the simple (and mostly unimportant) statistic that OSX surpassed Windows Vista usage… that's a rather bland point...

More astonishing to me is how far overall Windows usage has fallen in the past few years. If I did my math right, and based on the numbers in the chart, WIndows has fallen to roughly 82% overall? (Including Win 7, 8, XP and Vista combined.)

That's a precipitous drop from the 95% dominance of the previous decade...

It doesn't matter as much that OSX is UP to nearly 7% globally… it's that Windows is DOWN to roughly 82% globally. That's bigger news to me...

It is down to 82% if you count mobile devices, if you count only desktop it is still 92%

• Reply 23 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

In related news, Mac OS X outsold Windows 95 and Windows 3.1 combined last year. /s

Do I get a headline, too?

I'll be running a parallel headline about OSX outselling NT.

• Reply 24 of 100

How are they tracking this? Are they grabbing the MAC address every time a device/machine visits some websites? Which websites?

• Reply 25 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Wow, Windows XP just won't die, will it?

39% of web traffic generated from a operating system that's over 10 years old.

Understandable given that you can buy new PCs with XP up until relatively recently.

• Reply 26 of 100
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by reckless2k2 View Post

I agree with Mark. XP is what people know. Many major businesses have not migrated off XP yet either. Businesses are just started to get comfortable enough to start to migrate off of XP to Windows 7. Vista was so poor it really hurt the business upgrade market. As much as I like Mac, it will not ever gain much market share. iOS has already outpaced OSX and this will continue. Apple is trying to converge OSX and iOS now but that still won't help OSX market share much. I'm a Mac user and recommend to everyone I know but I still think the market will remain small. 

The reason the business I work for still uses XP is legacy applications that will only run with Internet Explorer 6 or more recently 7, we still get brand new HP PC's loaded with XP.

Active X baggage is  still very much alive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Understandable given that you can buy new PCs with XP up until relatively recently.

Enterprise customers can still buy them.

• Reply 27 of 100
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    hill60 wrote: »
    The reason the business I work for still uses XP is legacy applications that will only run with Internet Explorer 6 or more recently 7, we still get brand new HP PC's loaded with XP.

Quote:
    harbinger wrote: »

Enterprise customers can still buy them.
    Ha, we recently were allows to upgrade to IE8 where I work but are still on XP. And in some cases people need to use Citrix for applications that still require IE6. :lol:
  • Reply 28 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »

Just got 100 new PCs at work with XP loaded. Fun Fun Fun!

Also still running Win Server 2003, but will be moving to Win Server 2008 soon, which I can't for because PowerShell is pretty great. It's intuitive in much the same way Cisco's IOS is intuitive and it's very powerful. It's on the great things MS has done in the recent years. I've played around with Windows Server 2012 but I haven't used it enough to tell if it's better than 2008 or not.

That said, there is still a truth with the "It's what people know" argument. It's very well known for users and IT. There is very that will make IT scratch their head over, but if you pushed everyone to Win8 later this year there would be a lot that would require research or trial and error to resolve.
  • Reply 29 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

I'll be running a parallel headline about OSX outselling NT.

You'd be wrong as written technically. XP, 7, Vista, 8, Server etc ARE actually NT ;)  I'm assuming you mean NT 4...

• Reply 30 of 100
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

NOTE:

You really should read at least *some* of the posts already in a thread before adding your own. 

My posts were #3 and #6, so don't really understand you comment.

• Reply 31 of 100

Really, I would say that XP is the best Windows ever released, it is definitely the most breakthrough WIndows ever. Vista = sucked, 7 = a little bit better version of Vista. If I had to use Windows, it would most definitely be XP.

• Reply 32 of 100
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Quite an accomplishment...

You can be free (linux) but still people stay with XP

You can be a successor (vista/7) but people stay with XP

You can be presumably better (OS-X) but people stay with XP.

Is it that good ? :)

It's that good if your hardware is old.

• Reply 33 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Really, I would say that XP is the best Windows ever released, it is definitely the most breakthrough WIndows ever. Vista = sucked, 7 = a little bit better version of Vista. If I had to use Windows, it would most definitely be XP.

That says a great deal about the true extent of Microsoft's incompetence (even in their core business.)

XP was an absolute dog of an OS. It had wide compatibility going for it, but that's about it. 

It was ugly, unintuitive, and a perfect example of everything that was wrong at Microsoft. Except that XP was the best OS that Microsoft had released up to that point. Which isn't saying much, because XP was an exemplar of horrible design and outright negligence by Microsoft.

For example, Before 2003-2004, MS had no such thing as user-permission prompts (among other missing security features.) Windows XP shipped with FIVE open ports. And this was in 2001, when we were well into the Internet Age! Can you believe that? XP shipped insecure by default in an environment that was already teeming with Windows viruses. MS really had no viable, effective concept of security in any of its operating systems until Vista (which in itself was a failure.) Vista, ironically, finally caught Windows up to where everyone else had been for years.

The only operating system that could be comparable to the ease and luxury experienced by OS X users (not long after Apple nailed OS X - around Jaguar) is Windows 7. And even *that* is no OS X (any universally-licensed operating system, by definition, *can't* be to begin with.)

Interestingly enough, at the time of XP's release, it was very comparable to Apple's partially-done OS X effort - that is, not a feature-complete OS X. Microsoft's so-called best effort at the time was on par (or just barely) with an Apple operating system that was barely better than a Beta. 

Microsoft are the f-ups of the industry, folks, and have been for years and years. But their universal-licensing racket - signed and sealed many moons ago - made them the only option for a very long time. 
  • Reply 34 of 100
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Further reading:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152278/apples-os-x-passes-windows-vista-in-worldwide-usage#post_2181219

NOTE:

You really should read at least *some* of the posts already in a thread before adding your own. 

Linking to your own posts to validate your arguement? Are you DED's Sith apprentice? :)

• Reply 35 of 100
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Actually the number is a little inaccurate because the survey [explained as "desktop operating shares from Net Applications"] considers Ipad and Iphone in the mix, and that's about 5% right there. If this 5% is being distributed proportionally, Windows share would be bumped up another 3% making it to 85% total. Windows is losing some market share but not by much. Mac OS usually hovers around 7-8%, Windows at around 87% and the rest belongs to the likes of Linux et.al. There is only a slight movement at best.

But, the monumental shifting to a post-PC landscape is well underway, and I think Apple with the IOS will benefit greatly from the new metric, perhaps adding around 10% to its current market share within the next 5 years. That is a phenomenal growth. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Most telling to me isn't the simple (and mostly unimportant) statistic that OSX surpassed Windows Vista usage… that's a rather bland point...

More astonishing to me is how far overall Windows usage has fallen in the past few years. If I did my math right, and based on the numbers in the chart, WIndows has fallen to roughly 82% overall? (Including Win 7, 8, XP and Vista combined.)

That's a precipitous drop from the 95% dominance of the previous decade...

It doesn't matter as much that OSX is UP to nearly 7% globally… it's that Windows is DOWN to roughly 82% globally. That's bigger news to me...

• Reply 36 of 100
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The Windows users I know personally never upgrade the operating system. They take what was installed on their machine when it was purchased and use it until they have to buy another machine. I work for AT&T and my company issued laptop is XP. Windows 7 is just now beginning to show up. Add this to the "post PC era" where desktop and laptop sales are slowing in favor of mobile devices and you see why XP is still around. No, it's not that good.

Even today computers with Windows 7 are sold from Dell with XP Mode, whatever that means. I wonder if those machines log themselves as XP or Win 7 when surfing the net.

• Reply 37 of 100
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

With the new hardware, Windows XP is going even faster. Adding all those eye candies in Vista/7 are nice, but they use up some CPU horsepower to make it run properly. That's what Apple/Microsoft/etc is doing with the new and faster hardware, adding more and more eye candies. Except, the Windows 8 appears to have gone backward, and thus, it runs faster than Vista/7 because there are less of those things that pleased the eyes. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

It's that good if your hardware is old.

• Reply 38 of 100

Quote:

Microsoft are the f-ups of the industry, folks, and have been for years and years. But their universal-licensing racket - signed and sealed many moons ago - made them the only option for a very long time. 

XP came out feature-complete in 2001, the initial version of OS X launched at the same time and was a mess--slow, bug-ridden, and threw the Mac community into a hurricane of shift from OS 9 to OS X. Try as you may to paint a different picture, this is reality.

• Reply 39 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

With the new hardware, Windows XP is going even faster. Adding all those eye candies in Vista/7 are nice, but they use up some CPU horsepower to make it run properly. That's what Apple/Microsoft/etc is doing with the new and faster hardware, adding more and more eye candies. Except, the Windows 8 appears to have gone backward, and thus, it runs faster than Vista/7 because there are less of those things that pleased the eyes. 

Yeah, this is true. Windows 8 is extremely efficient; it runs well even on old hardware, like  Pentium M's and Pentium 4's with a a gig of RAM, which is quite the accomplishment as they continue to support legacy applications (as they always have, and always will, being the business world.)

• Reply 40 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

It is down to 82% if you count mobile devices, if you count only desktop it is still 92%

But we're no longer in a purely PC or "desktop centric" world. It makes no sense to exclude mobile devices, and it can be fairly said that Windows is losing market share to mobile operating systems (I personally know a few people who now use an iPad exclusively, where they once used a Windows "Netbook")… So Mobile devices must be counted, considering they alter the usage numbers by a whopping 10% on their own...

Remember, this is a survey based on "web access by operating system", so mobile is even more relevant...

I would be interested to see "installed base" numbers as much as we could estimate them… include a version that would separate consumer and business usage, with and without mobile platforms... Those would be very interesting and much more relevant numbers for me indeed...