Actor Bruce Willis won't sue Apple over iTunes music ownership [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 213

If he has iTunes music that came from a DRM version of iTunes, he should just subscribe to the MusicMatch service for, what is it, $25 and reconvert his music.  Then it turns into DRM free versions and there is no issue, since nobody is going to sue him for handing over music however he pleases, even though it's technically illegal.

The spirit of Apple's license allows use of up to 5 computers regardless of ownership, so unless he has more than five daughters, all of them can use his music on one computer each.  Of course once they are out of DRM, the reality is any music can go anywhere, but I would say he is not violating the spirit of the agreement by distributing it to up to five people.

This doesn't seem worth a lawsuit, then, does it?

D

• Reply 42 of 213
    Maybe, but don't forget that Apple has a "Buy" button in iTunes, not a "License" button.

It's only deceptive to those that didnt read the terms. Those that did know that they are buying the license when they hit the button.

Buying a CD isn't really that different. You don't suddenly own the song and all rights to it. You own a license to play it. Yes you can will those CDs to someone but you can also will a hard drive full of mp3 as well. Funny thing is there are ways to strip the tags off the songs so iTunes won't know they originally came from an account and they will keep working just fine.
  • Reply 43 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Apple pioneered the concept of a DRM-free downloadable music store:  http://www.apple.com/fr/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

Wrong.  EMusic was drm free long before Apple.

• Reply 44 of 213

Yippie Ki-yay, mother fu......

• Reply 45 of 213
    jragosta wrote: »
    Or he hasn't had a hit movie for a while and needs the publicity.

Or Daily Mail needs hits. Figure this will strike a nerve because Apple is big and they can play it as yet more Apple Greed. And Willis is just big enough that folks will buy the notion he might perhaps maybe is going to sue.
  • Reply 46 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by diddy View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Apple probably can't do this though since they don't own the music they sell.  They are a reseller of licenses. What Apple is allowed to do with music is based on their agreements with the actual owners of the content.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Yes, right, because poor little Apple has no leverage...

• Reply 47 of 213
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

Maybe, but don't forget that Apple has a "Buy" button in iTunes, not a "License" button. The buy button is deceptive, and so would any statement such as that made by SJ on numerous occasions that in iTunes you buy a song because people like to "own" their music.

I don't know how Amazon portrays it, but I don't care because I don't buy from them.

Amazon says I can buy an album with 1-click: 

Although both Amazon and iTunes made me accept a license agreement in order to use their software to download the files to my computer.

• Reply 48 of 213

Quote:

Amazon says I can buy an album with 1-click: 

Although both Amazon and iTunes made me sign a license agreement in order to use their software to download the files to my computer.

Speaking of software, I wonder if Mr. Willis realizes he also doesn't "own" the software on his computer...

• Reply 49 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by bboybazza View Post

have to say i agree i buy 3-4 albums/movies a month not to mention apps and  and to think when i go they just disapear into the either and cant be accessed by my son is insane. think i will have to start buying elsewhere and just transferring to itunes instead of buying from apple, until this whole mess is resolved.

...and which digital music vendor doesn't have to abide by the terms set by the RECORDING INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION of AMERICA? where in Google's or Amazon's TOS does it say you can "transfer the rights" to your purchases? and if you're DEAD you're not really going to care if your kid has your iTunes id/pass, now are you? 

• Reply 50 of 213
    haar wrote: »
    why not put in his will, "transfer itunes music to my daughters" and let the trustee deal with this?

Because legally he can't. When Apple finds out he's dead, they can -- per the terms he agreed to -- freeze his account. Which could include cutting off access to any credits on his account, no redownloading of tracks and possible due authorization of all computers and devices linked to the account which means purchased music would stop playing. And no one will be able to access the account.

This is why Willis is allegedly so upset, but frankly I think the story is bogus.
  • Reply 51 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

Wrong.  EMusic was drm free long before Apple.

With music that, frankly, most people weren't interested in.  I'll try again:

Quote:

Apple pioneered the concept of a DRM-free downloadable music store with content from the major labelshttp://www.apple.com/fr/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

Better?

I'll go back and edit the original post.

• Reply 52 of 213

Quote:

Speaking of software, I wonder if Mr. Willis realizes he also doesn't own the software on his computer...

That will hardly matter in 30 years.

Do you use software from 30 years ago? :)

• Reply 53 of 213
    cico wrote: »
    Sooo... Our grand-grandchildren will have like four or five accounts to update stuff from/with? Not really handy..
    Still, good luck Bruce! Win for us :)

Not at all. Because when they find out you are dead, they will freeze your account. No updates from that account
  • Reply 54 of 213

Oh, come on, it changes every few weeks and it's huge. Where is the value prop in using a service that periodically requires hours of your time to make sure you are not being treated deceptively?

Hollywood employment contracts are just as lengthy, come up just as often if not sometimes more, and Willis is expectedly to know what was just signed in detail.
  • Reply 55 of 213
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

Let someone make those same demands about a Bruce Willis movie they digitally purchased and we'll see what his repsonse is. Poor Bruce, he must be in some need of PR by 'taking on a cause'.

• Reply 56 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

That will hardly matter in 30 years.

Do you use software from 30 years ago? :)

Will it matter tomorrow?  Do you have any guarantees that you won't die in the next 30 years?

• Reply 57 of 213

WELCOME TO 3rd PARTY RIGHTS, PAAAL! 
  • Reply 58 of 213
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Apple doesn't own the rights to the music.

They sell under license for those who do, just like any other retailer of digital goods.

True, but Apple negotiated the rights. Further, if he wins, the labels will be forced to change the terms. 

• Reply 59 of 213

Perhaps, in the interests of equity, the rights conferred to the copyright holders by statute should be mirrored for the licensee. Namely, the licence is good for the licensee's life plus seventy years.

• Reply 60 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Hollywood employment contracts are just as lengthy, come up just as often if not sometimes more, and Willis is expectedly to know what was just signed in detail.

Not really.  Because his contract is about millions, he has a lawyer review it. 

We are talking normal people wanting to 'buy' a 0.99c song.