New video shows realistic mockup of fully-assembled iPhone 5 at IFA 2012

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So dozens of parts from dozens of sources leaking something that Apple builds in Cupertino… 

We don't know there are dozens of parts from dozens of sources. What we have are dozens of rumors from dozens of sites. For all we know they are all based on the same original source, which could be accurate or not, a hoax or real, physical or virtual. Remember, the "device" in this article is a mockup built by someone based on the rumors we are all reading. Of course it "confirms" the rumors, but it doesn't even claim to be built from real parts obtained from Apple's supply chain.

• Reply 142 of 159

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

We don't know there are dozens of parts from dozens of sources. What we have are dozens of rumors from dozens of sites. For all we know they are all based on the same original source, which could be accurate or not, a hoax or real, physical or virtual.

But the sites say they're from different sources. Why would all those sites lie?

Remember, the "device" in this article is a mockup built by someone based on the rumors we are all reading.

Absolutely. I had to tell a few people earlier in the thread the same thing. This specific thing having no relation to true Apple parts doesn't disprove the rumor itself. What about the working model that someone has? How'd that come about?

• Reply 143 of 159

Quote:

But the sites say they're from different sources. Why would all those sites lie?

Absolutely. I had to tell a few people earlier in the thread the same thing. This specific thing having no relation to true Apple parts doesn't disprove the rumor itself. What about the working model that someone has? How'd that come about?

Lies? No, everyone doesn't have to be lying, but they can all be mistaken, or hoodwinked, just like last year when dozens of parts and rumors from dozens of sources appeared on dozens of sites. This happens all the time on the internet, we all know it happens all the time, but we ignore that when we want it to be true.

I haven't looked at a "working model", maybe I missed that article, but, that too can be faked, so ...

I'm still not convinced this years rumor crop is correct.

• Reply 144 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

??, ??? ????. ?? ????? ???.

Yes, you can, It's too boring.

???????????? ?????????????????

?, ? ? ????. ?? ?? ?? ??.

??????????????

???? ????? ???. ???? ???? ???.

????????????????????

Any other language scripts? Google Translate can help...

Ok. Now can you pronounce the Hebrew you just copied and pasted in there?  Here, I'll help: ken, atah yachol. zeh mish'amaym midai. I hope you don't think I can't read Hebrew and am just going through Google Translate to be funny. I am typing all this to be funny I guess, but I can read and write Hebrew and understand most of it. My Hebrew isn't terribly perfect in terms of grammer (dikduk ?????), but it is decent enough usually. 

!???? ?????! ????? ????? ?????

tireu chaver'eem! anachnu misha'neem ha'nusay!

Look, friends! We're changing the subject!

!???????

Lehitraot!

Goodbye!

.????. ????? ???????

b'seder. b'chazarah leh'iphone.

Ok. Back to the iPhone.

• Reply 145 of 159

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I haven't looked at a "working model", maybe I missed that article, but, that too can be faked, so ...

I don't get how people missed this… Maybe I should have put it in General Discussion, but it doesn't belong there, it belongs HERE… 

And yeah, I'm skeptical about that myself, particularly because it's in DFU when there's no reasonable explanation for that, but you can't just make a display like this.

I'm still not convinced this years rumor crop is correct.

Replace iPhone with iPad nano and I agree. image

• Reply 146 of 159

Quote:

I don't get how people missed this… Maybe I should have put it in General Discussion, but it doesn't belong there, it belongs HERE… 

And yeah, I'm skeptical about that myself, particularly because it's in DFU when there's no reasonable explanation for that, but you can't just make a display like this.

Replace iPhone with iPad nano and I agree. image

Yes, it's a little odd that that's the only part shown "working".

I tend to agree about the iPad Mini (and yes, we ought to all recall the iPhone Nano rumors), although, I think that one is maybe 60/40 or better in favor of it, even though, like you, I'm skeptical it's a good idea.

• Reply 147 of 159
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The Home button is one of the central features of the phone, it's part of the UI and it will *never* be eliminated.  It's also there so that the blind and other handicapped people can use the phone.  The capacitive buttons on Android phones are one of the single most complained about items by users of Android phones.  The Home button is a great thing, an integral part of the design, is loved by almost everyone and isn't going anywhere, ever.  You can expect it to be present in iPhone 5 and in iPhone 35.  

I've never really understood what the two basic arguments (or the 22 basic sides if there's more than two) are about - and why they generate such strong feelings on either side.  Anyone care to enlighten...???  (Yes, it's late in the thread and I forgot to post 24 hours ago, but we live in hope). 

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

Oh, and now I'm just shooting hoops with you guys here, not a prediction or nothing, just daydreaming . . .

I saw this video for an Omega watch.

[video didn't paste thru when I pressed reply - it's a more than a page above in the thread tho']

Ceramics and Liquidmetal, materials close to Apple's heart.

Can you imagine an iPhone case made using this process, with Jony Ive's design ?

aaahh . . . (amoradala drifts off into sweet Apple dream. . . ;)

Thanks - I learned more about liquid metal and what some of its actual utility is going to be - and about some aspects of ceramics from this little commercial vid than all the Mac site articles I've read.  Pictures are sometimes worth 1000's of words.  I forget - does Apple have some special rights or ownership stake in liquid metal - i.e., what is their interest based on??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You "hate on the leaks" yet indulge on a "leaks" based site. Explain that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I come here because I own and use a lot of Apple's products, and this is where I get to talk about Apple related stuff, including AAPL, which I happen to own a small amount of. That doesn't mean that I condone leaks and people stealing from Apple, quite the contrary.

One thing is shooting the breeze and speculating about which features a new Apple product will have or will not have, but it's something completely different when moles start leaking confidential info or stealing parts. Those criminals should be in jail.

Best (most nuanced) response to this oft (and often justifiably) made charge here.....  ....we (people who frequent Apple Rumor Sites) are somewhat like kids who can either just speculate about what their presents will be - or "break the rules" and look for where their Christmas presents kind of "have to be" hidden - and when they figure out where they are can't decide whether they REaaaaally want to know too much in advance of Xmas morning..... ....and don't want to have to "act surprised" - kind of compounding our having "cheated" without admitting to our parents that we did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Of course it's not authentic.

Some random case maker wouldn't have a real iPhone whatever it gets called at this point.

An appeal to logic.  Novel stuff!!

• Reply 148 of 159
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

On an unrelated note, I wish Apple would offer more colors than black/white like the old nanos or the upcoming Nokia Lumias:

• Reply 149 of 159
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

[video]

Replace iPhone with iPad nano and I agree. :lol:

If that's a fake it's a well done fake. There are few inconsistencies that stick out, though. The size of the SIM card slot and solid metal backing come to mind but that doesn't mean it's not a prototype. He does turn it on so unless it's very well done CGI I'd say it's real enough.

I do wonder if this plus the previous anodized aluminum we've seen could be an indication that Apple will go with more than two standard color options.
  • Reply 150 of 159

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He does turn it on so unless it's very well done CGI I'd say it's real enough.

He has a Flickr set of images with the thing, but has neglected to turn it on for a picture there, despite that being ludicrously easy. And he could easily have it on next to the real iPhones next to it so that anyone and his mother could compare how the pixels look under those lighting conditions.

• Reply 151 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

.../...

.????. ????? ???????

b'seder. b'chazarah leh'iphone.

Ok. Back to the iPhone.

:) ?? ???? ??? ?????

ze ha'tor sheli arshav 

it's my turn now :)

OK, something serious now

??? ???? ???? ????? ????

Shana tova v'gmar 'hatima tova !!

I let mcrs find the translation thanks to Google ;-)

• Reply 152 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

2) The Home button is one of the central features of the phone, it's part of the UI and it will *never* be eliminated.  It's also there so that the blind and other handicapped people can use the phone.  The capacitive buttons on Android phones are one of the single most complained about items by users of Android phones.  The Home button is a great thing, an integral part of the design, is loved by almost everyone and isn't going anywhere, ever.  You can expect it to be present in iPhone 5 and in iPhone 35.  

In short you understand nothing of the iPhone design, how it works, or the reasons for this or that feature being included. You also seem to know nothing about how design works in general,and yet you come here and give us your pronouncements on what they should or shouldn't include in the next iPhone.  See the problem?  

You hit the nail on the head here-- the PHYSICAL button makes a big difference in usability.  I had a Lumia 900, with all capacitive buttons, and it was impossible to figure out which way was up for the phone when it was not in direct sight (in the dark, pocket, etc.)  With an iPhone I determine the correct orientation of the device as I'm grasping it, with it turned the correct way once I see it.  The Lumia (and I'm assuming any all capacitive phone) this not as easy.  I often fumbled with the phone getting it turned the right way.  Forget about reaching over to it in the dark and checking the time, etc.

• Reply 153 of 159
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

They're obsessed with clock speeds, amounts, and sizes

Quote:

...faster CPU...more RAM...a larger screen...

• Reply 154 of 159

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

[two quotes, not mutually exclusive, pertaining to two entirely different ways of looking at technology, posted as an example of an internal contradiction]

Guess you're not a spec whore.

• Reply 155 of 159

how aren't wireless standards not frand? samung licenses those patents to other companies 

• Reply 156 of 159

lmfao

• Reply 157 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitslasher View Post

You hit the nail on the head here-- the PHYSICAL button makes a big difference in usability.  I had a Lumia 900, with all capacitive buttons, and it was impossible to figure out which way was up for the phone when it was not in direct sight (in the dark, pocket, etc.)  With an iPhone I determine the correct orientation of the device as I'm grasping it, with it turned the correct way once I see it.  The Lumia (and I'm assuming any all capacitive phone) this not as easy.  I often fumbled with the phone getting it turned the right way.  Forget about reaching over to it in the dark and checking the time, etc.

I have no problem getting the orientation just by touching physical volume or power buttons which reside on edges.  

There is really no need to keep the Home button at the front and eat literally 15% of the potential display space at the bottom.

Overall the top and bottom bezels will occupy around 30% (87mm/124mm) of iPhone-5 front area which is a marginable improvement over the 35% (75mm/115mm) of iPhone-4.

The future of smartphones is edge-to-edge screens with no bezels. Eventually this is going to happen to iPhone regardless of whether someone likes it or not.

• Reply 158 of 159
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

??? ???? ?????? ????? ?????? ?????? ..., ??? ???? ?? ???????? ...

And, I can count on getting some of that wonderful Challah bread then...? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac512 View Post

:) ?? ???? ??? ?????

ze ha'tor sheli arshav 

it's my turn now :)

OK, something serious now

??? ???? ???? ????? ????

Shana tova v'gmar 'hatima tova !!

I let mcrs find the translation thanks to Google ;-)

• Reply 159 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

..., ??? ???? ?? ????????

?? ?? ??? ??????? ???

????? ???

;-)