How fragile is the Retina Display?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2015

I just read that it's really fragile, will it be ok to put it into my backpack with the slip part, with my heavy school books?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    You should get a padded sleeve for it at least to protect it from impact damage. The Retina display shouldn't really be much more fragile than the old style displays but you should get insurance regardless.
  • Reply 2 of 6

I'll take a pic of the padding in my backpack, and you tell me if it's good enough, it's about half an inch thick, and the bottom is padded as well.

My iPod's camera is absolute shit. :/ You can't even see anything.

• Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I'll take a pic of the padding in my backpack, and you tell me if it's good enough, it's about half an inch thick, and the bottom is padded as well.

No matter how padded it is, I would recommend a tight-fitting sleeve as it offers some protection if water gets splashed into the backback and against other items that might be put in there like a charger. Even having a seam in padding can mean that an edge of the laptop can knock against something. A sleeve also means you can carry the laptop somewhere on its own without requiring a backpack.
  • Reply 4 of 6

the retina display is twelve time more fragile than the screen from the previous MacBook Pro. those numbers comes from my repair shop. My retina screen broke after one month. 800 dollars to repair it...

• Reply 5 of 6
    Originally Posted by Pierre Debroux View Post

the retina display is twelve time more fragile than the screen from the previous MacBook Pro.

That's obviously false.

• Reply 6 of 6

Apple's retina screen is fragile as a thin layer of ice. All it took for me to broke the screen was to slip a piece of paper between the lid and it cracked inside. So disillusioned by the garbage that Apple has created. If you are reading this wondering whether to buy a Mac or a PC, trust me, buy as PC because Mac really sucks.