'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

Comments

• Reply 41 of 299
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, but there's a difference between what you're suggesting and being vehemently opposed to something and attacking others for stating a belief that differs from yours.

Frankly, I always took the position that it didn't really matter and wasn't worth worrying about. I did, however, get offended by TS outright attacks on people who thought it might be the iPhone 5. It's a little late for him to say "it doesn't matter, so let's get past it".

Similarly, his vehement attacks on the concept of an iPad Mini fall into the same pattern. He can not simply say "let's get past it" if the iPad Mini is shipped - at least not if he has even a shred of integrity.

Well, his pending mea culpa not withstanding, it is becoming very petty after the first few people pointing it out. We don't need this to become a "let's jump TS" thread, whether it might be deserved or not.

• Reply 42 of 299

Blah, blah.  If it Apple calls it '5' it's '5'.  '5' follows '4'.  It's not difficult.

It's really just 'iPhone...'

Lemon Bon Bon. 

• Reply 43 of 299
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Meanwhile, somewhat back on topic ... I'm sure the anticipation of the 'next' iPhone is why sales have dipped and the Scamscum phone has taken the lead in sales ...
  • Reply 44 of 299

Calling it "iPhone 6" was simply flawed logic. Accept you were wrong, and move on folks :) The reason for the jump to 3 was because it was the 3G phone and so avoided confusion with the buzz number of the time.

• Reply 45 of 299

I'm with Tallest Skill on the naming. If they do name it iPhone 5, it goes against every naming convention they've done and just doesn't make sense. The ONLY, I repeat, ONLY iPhones ever released with a generation-signifier were the iPhone 4, and therefore also the 4S. This is the 6th generation iPhone, no matter how you want to twist it.

And may I remind all of you, last year around this time everyone was calling the 4S the iPhone 5 prior to its announcement. So... which is right? You can't have it both ways. This isn't the fifth iPhone. 

On a forum I would expect people to understand rather easily. When talking to non-techy friends, explaining the whole 3G vs 3GS vs 4 vs 4S is incredibly difficult. They see a number and assume chronologically, when that's got nothing to do with it, really.

In any event, I don't expect them to call it the iPhone 6, and I don't expect them to call it the iPhone 5. I would REALLY like everything to revert back to just 'iPhone'.

EDIT: Further, if Apple chooses to call it the iPhone 5, then fine ... but it wouldn't be technically correct. It wouldn't be the first time a company leaned toward its consumer side in the marketing department over the technical side. It would make for an interesting caveat for the nerds of the future :p

• Reply 46 of 299
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

NOT looking forward to the headphone jack being re-positioned to the bottom of the device......

I am. Will ensure it is in the correct orientation when I pull it out of my pocket. Currently, since it usually goes in the pocket with the headphone jack up (when headphones are plugged in anyway), when you reach in and pull it out, it is upside down in your hand.

• Reply 47 of 299

Apple discovered the fifth element !

• Reply 48 of 299

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's a little late for him to say "it doesn't matter, so let's get past it".

Oh, I'm not; don't worry. image

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

If it is called iPhone 5, then even Apple is wrong. Sorry, but that is simply pandering to the lowest common denominator and ruins the intelligent naming conventions iPhone carried in the past. Apple may name it iPhone 5 to avoid confusing idiots who don't understand the product line or its history, but there is no reason to call the 6th generation, 4th form factor iPhone an iPhone 5.

Exactly. I just don't get it at all. Not pandering to what people thought they wanted is how Apple got where they are.

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

But he might ban us if we disagree with him......

{Dead serious mode} No. {/dead serious mode}

• Reply 49 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But that's wrong, too.

Yeah I just realized that.  Oops.  The 4S is the 5th generation.  

• Reply 50 of 299
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    evilution wrote: »
    I really want it to be the iPhone 5 just to annoy the people who have been that anal about the naming structure.

Funny thing is, there is no naming structure. If it is iPhone 5 or iPhone 6, it will be the first time a pattern was repeated. If it is 6 it will be the first time the entire scheme was repeated.

People are trying to guess the name based on patterns that never existed.
  • Reply 51 of 299

Who cares what it's called?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

• Reply 52 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I now subscribe to the "5 products being released" theory. image

Then the invite would have read "They're almost here." 

They don't want to be grammatically incorrect ;)

• Reply 53 of 299
    jragosta wrote: »
    . I did, however, get offended by TS outright attacks on people who thought it might be the iPhone 5. It's a little late for him to say "it doesn't matter, so let's get past it".
    Similarly, his vehement attacks on the concept of an iPad Mini fall into the same pattern. He can not simply say "let's get past it" if the iPad Mini is shipped - at least not if he has even a shred of integrity.

As Global Moderator perhaps he sees it as his role to be provocative?
  • Reply 54 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Well, his pending mea culpa not withstanding, it is becoming very petty after the first few people pointing it out. We don't need this to become a "let's jump TS" thread, whether it might be deserved or not.

Isn't that the limit?  How he acts like a dick about it for months and as soon as someone else jumps on him for it they're the asshole?

Ah, internets!

Although I do agree iPhone 5 is still weird.  I would have thought "The New iPhone" - which is a way to get away from the SIII type naming scheme.

• Reply 55 of 299

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Funny thing is, there is no naming structure. If it is iPhone 5 or iPhone 6, it will be the first time a pattern was repeated. If it is 6 it will be the first time the entire scheme was repeated.

The 4S was the first time a naming convention was repeated (I'm ignoring the iPhone 4 being the first time since some people want to pretend the first instance of something doesn't establish anything).

Here's how it has been so far.

iPhone: generation

iPhone 3G: telephony

iPhone 3GS: speed

iPhone 4: generation

iPhone 4S: speed

There's no "square, triangle, circle, square, triangle, circle" methodology to the 'pattern', but there were three naming conventions in the pool from which to draw. So for the 6th one, from that it could've logically been "iPhone 6" for generation or "iPhone 4G" for telephony, simply because speed has not been used twice in a row.

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

They don't want to be grammatically incorrect ;)

This will be the funnest iPhone ever.

• Reply 56 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I am. Will ensure it is in the correct orientation when I pull it out of my pocket. Currently, since it usually goes in the pocket with the headphone jack up (when headphones are plugged in anyway), when you reach in and pull it out, it is upside down in your hand.

The reason I am not, is due to the fact that both times I placed my iPhone in my shirt pocket upside down (to protect the earphone jack because it was starting to rain), the iPhone turned off, and went into some hardware diagnostic mode which took a great deal of effort to get the iPhone to be re-booted.  Unless that will not happen with the new iPhone. (Whatever they call it)...... 

• Reply 57 of 299
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Apple discovered the fifth element !

The new iPhone will be made of boron? :)

• Reply 58 of 299

I suppose we won't get a livestream...?

• Reply 59 of 299
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    The 4S was the first time a naming convention was repeated (I'm ignoring the iPhone 4 being the first time since some people want to pretend the first instance of something doesn't establish anything).

Here's how it has been so far.

iPhone: generation
    iPhone 3G: telephony
    iPhone 3GS: speed
    iPhone 4: generation
    iPhone 4S: speed

There's no "square, triangle, circle, square, triangle, circle" methodology to the 'pattern', but there were three naming conventions in the pool from which to draw. So for the 6th one, from that it could've logically been "iPhone 6" for generation or "iPhone 4G" for telephony, simply because speed has not been used twice in a row.

This will be the funnest iPhone ever.

Good point on the S.

I had thought 4G was possible. I think the marketing troubles with 4G LTE outside the US make that impossible.
  • Reply 60 of 299
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

5 inch screen!  Oh yeah!