'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

Comments

• Reply 101 of 299
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    There is no doubt it's the sixth iPhone though.  It just depends on how you define "generation."  

My personal preference would be for Apple to stop selling the old versions when the new one comes out.  That way it could just be the "iPhone" every single year and n one has to stress out about anything at all.  

I don't think the slightly lower prices on "last year's gear" really do much for them sales wise and the real problem with the iPhone has always been the extremely high price.  

I think Apple would be better off putting their skills behind the creation of a truly low-cost, off-contract, version of the iPhone and forget about this BS of selling the last three years models all at differing prices.  It's confusing and stupid IMO and there are enough of last years phones being re-sold by the users themselves anyway.    

Of course, I keep saying that it's the sixth phone, but not necessarally the sixth generation phone. There's an anal quality to insisting that every new model is automatically a new generation.

According to numbers we see on some financial sites, and from strong hints from Apple, the older phones sell quite well. Last quarter, and the ones before as well, have had the 4S as the number one selling model at the companies selling it here, with the 4 being the second most popular selling phone, and the 3GS, for AT&T, the only company selling it here, rounding that out as the third best selling model smartphone. After those come a Samsung Galaxy model.

So except possibly for right now, when a new model is expected, those older models are selling very well. More than any other model by anyone else.
  • Reply 102 of 299
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But the iPhone isn't like the DeLorean. There are dedicated releases where new hardware defines a new generation of product. Didn't we used to call them revisions (like the G5 iMac had Rev A, Rev B (with iSight) and Rev C)? And even if we take the internal numbers, that makes this iPhone "5,1" and the iPhone 4 "3,1". But it was still called "4", because it was their fourth revision/generation. 

People never wondered what happened to the iPhone 2. They'd get over it. They got over dropping the iPad increment.

That's EXACTLY why 5 makes sense - its simple, it follows four, people are expecting it. If they brought out an iPhone that is made from Carbon they could call it the iPhone Carbon and no-one would blink. But for once I agree with you - if they called it the iPhone 6 it would take people all of 6 seconds to get over it. Which is why the naming is purely a marketing exercise and which would be the only interesting part of it being called anything but the iPhone 5. Calling it something else would get people talking.

• Reply 103 of 299

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

That's EXACTLY why 5 makes sense - its simple, it follows four, people are expecting it.

Apple's not big on giving people what they think they want.

• Reply 104 of 299

Five

October 5th?

iPhone 5

or

1 New iPhones

2 New iPad Mini

3 New Retina Macbooks

4 New iMacs

5 New iPods

all available on October 5th???

maybe a different order?

Things that make you go hmmm....

• Reply 105 of 299
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

All those leaks with the two tone back looked pretty real, so I'm anticipating no surprises on the appearance. I hope the internals come as a surprise then, another year with the dual Cortex A9 cores would be meh, and seeing as it won't have significantly more pixels to push then the 4s like the new iPad does the die area used on the MP4 graphics would be better spent on better processing.

• Reply 106 of 299
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

On the October event, I buy that there is one, but I think it would be better if it was for the iMac, 13" retina MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and iLife and iWork '13! Where the heck have those been? I realize that Macs don't make you any meaningful money anymore, Apple, but some of us still like to use the computers that got you where you are today.

Makes sense to put all the macs in october and that would put the ipad mini on sept 12.  I am expecting Amazon to launch a 99$ kindle fire with ads this week. This is going to hurt the Apple stock until Apple confirms the mini. Add to this the market correction risk, I am 90% cash at the moment. I only have a few september option to catch a possible upside. But with all the new competitor products launch until sept 12, I am pretty confident Apple will go lower before the event.

I expect Apple to rise until webnesday, then tank on the amazon event. The chances of Apple going down thursday are even greater if it rise over 700$ before wednesday.

• Reply 107 of 299
    Although I think that there's a chance it could be called the New iPhone, I also believe that theres a good chance they can call it iPhone 5 as well.

But the pic of the 12 and shadow 5 doesn't have to represent the name of the phone or it's model #.

After it is the six iteration. But it has been 5 years since the introduction of the iPhone which is very important to apple.

So Phone 5 or 5 year anniversary?

Shut up and take my fricking money already!

:D
  • Reply 108 of 299
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    paxman wrote: »
    That's EXACTLY why 5 makes sense - its simple, it follows four, people are expecting it. If they brought out an iPhone that is made from Carbon they could call it the iPhone Carbon and no-one would blink.

I'd prefer the liquidmetal iPhone.
  • Reply 109 of 299

You are all wrong.  They are going to call it iPhone XP or iPhone 2012.

• Reply 110 of 299

I think it will be called iPhone 9 because I'm an idiot and like debating pointless facts.

Keep posting guys, you are my entertainment for today. image

• Reply 111 of 299
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Quote:

The 4S was the first time a naming convention was repeated (I'm ignoring the iPhone 4 being the first time since some people want to pretend the first instance of something doesn't establish anything).

Here's how it has been so far.

iPhone: generation

iPhone 3G: telephony

iPhone 3GS: speed

iPhone 4: generation

iPhone 4S: speed

There's no "square, triangle, circle, square, triangle, circle" methodology to the 'pattern', but there were three naming conventions in the pool from which to draw. So for the 6th one, from that it could've logically been "iPhone 6" for generation or "iPhone 4G" for telephony, simply because speed has not been used twice in a row.

This will be the funnest iPhone ever.

Not really. The naming convention has been: 

• iPhone

• iPhone 3G

• iPhone 3GS

• iPhone 4

• iPhone 4S

Apple, as far as I can tell has never categorized a newer iteration of the iPhone as the next 'generation'. Many others may have, but not Apple.

If anything, the iPhone 4S, for a lot of us was a special release, in honor for Steve. Earlier than desired. But so was his death.

I don't or never had looked at the 4S as new generation, but more of a breed within itself. Thus the 'S' (was for me) meant 'Steve'. Not 5. IMO.

• Reply 112 of 299
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

All those leaks with the two tone back looked pretty real, so I'm anticipating no surprises on the appearance. I hope the internals come as a surprise then, another year with the dual Cortex A9 cores would be meh, and seeing as it won't have significantly more pixels to push then the 4s like the new iPad does the die area used on the MP4 graphics would be better spent on better processing.

I'm of a like mind when it comes to the SoC. Using the A5X doesn't make any sense, as the main change from the A5 was additional on-die GPUs and those aren't needed for the iPhone X (copyright 2012 Focher). I'm not sure that additional cores make much sense either, but I'm not familiar with how heavily threaded iPhone apps are at this point. Perhaps there are some Cortex enhancements around execution speeds (including clock increases) that make more sense. It would be strange for Apple to just reuse the A5 but an A6 in the iPhone goes against precedence. The new GPU has, so far, always appeared in the iPad first. But that could change ...

• Reply 113 of 299
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

But not the posts themselves. That would be disingenuous. 

Do you actually have the rights to do this from AI, even if you wanted to?? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

NOT looking forward to the headphone jack being re-positioned to the bottom of the device......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Well now all the openings are one side so it will be even easier to protect.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I was explaining this to my wife just last night.  We both thought it made sense even though it seems a little odd because of all the years of iDevices with the hole on top.

So why is this brilliant, revolutionary and magical?  What has Apple figured out that they've been missing all these years?  I'll suggest one explanation:  the mini-jack is starting to go the way of so many Apple ports and peripherals - and the end of the 30 pin dock is part of the same trend - get all holes in the thing smaller, minimized, out of the way and not disturbing the aesthetic.  We got Bluetooth, AirPlay, etc., e.g., so earbuds and other physical connections to speakers begin to be superfluous.  Like Firewire, and many of the pins on the old connector. 

You don't even have to plug into a computer to sync now - and inductive charging seems a no-brainer for a future model - leading to a device which would then seldom have to EVER be physically connected to ANYTHING. 

Anyway, my two cents - 'cos moving that port there certainly adds NO functionality and does move further to Apple's Zen-like focus on minimalism

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

There have been so many leaks on this I wonder what they could possibly do to surprise people.

I find myself more interested by the Nokia event this week if I'm being honest. They're making the most beautiful phones out there, and Windows Phone remains the most modern thinking and original mobile OS. Obviously nobody is going to buy it, but still, I like to see new things. The same old from Apple and Google is getting rather dull.

We are for sure livin' in the ADD/15 seconds of fame future... ..lol....

• Reply 114 of 299

Good news! It's gonna be called "The New iPhone" and they simply put the 5 so you know it's the new one.

• Reply 115 of 299
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    The device identifier will be iPhone 5,1. Enough said.
  • Reply 116 of 299
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Because you've been so insistent. You even insulted me once because I didn't agree with you.

In order for someone to be insulted, one must respect the opinion of the other person. 

• Reply 117 of 299

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Do you actually have the rights to do this from AI, even if you wanted to?? 

I think you're implying that in editing an original post, the mod would be doing it to change the position of a poster. If I'm wrong on that, let me know.

I can't imagine a site would want that to happen, much less give leave to have it done. That's not what I have done. When it's just an offhand comment and not having anything to do with the argument at hand, occasionally I'd change it if I was then referencing multiple generations of phone. To my recollection (ha!), I didn't do anything as petty as change it in quoted posts when the topic at hand WAS the name itself. If I'm wrong on that, also let me know so that I can go flog myself.

• Reply 118 of 299

This is the long lost iPhone 2.  What appears to be a 5 in the shadow is really the mirror image of a number 2.

• Reply 119 of 299
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Re: 

'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

Good News

Perfect timing. Our 3-year contract with Rogers just revolved, so my son will get the 4 which I passed down to my wife when I got the 4S last year. So everyone will by happy, particularly me.

Somewhat Bad News

Our son is thinking of moving out. Hopefully not before the 5 arrives. Otherwise, my wife will not allow me to upgrade for another year.

Possibly More Bad News

If the headphone jack is moved to the bottom, or the size changes, the 5 may not fit my TomTom Car Kit.

Wishing Good News

Christmas is coming. Hopefully, TomTom will have resolved the previous issue in time and the family has been happy with my generosity.

• Reply 120 of 299
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Here's to hoping the new iPhone 5, iPad mini, along with the soon-to-be redesigned iPad 3 will have 802.11ac support. Right along some new Time Capsules in 3TB ($299)/4TB ($499) flavors.