'It's almost here:' Apple announces 'iPhone 5' event for Sept. 12

Comments

• Reply 121 of 299

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

…soon-to-be redesigned iPad 3… 

Why? The next model comes out in March/April.

I'd love ac, but I seriously doubt it. Particularly in those devices.

• Reply 122 of 299

The debate over iPhone 5 being a legitimate name is about as useful as Enterprise versus Star Destroyer geek rages.

It's Apple's product. They can call it anything they want. If they want to bring the digit in line with a sequential numbering scheme, even if it wasn't before, they can do that.

Hell, look at where the version numbers (or letters) of Windows have gone over the years.

Or maybe the shadow 5 is just a nod to the "iPhone 5" placeholder, and it'll be called something else.

Personally, I say screw the iPad mini idea. I want a 13" iPad.

Summary: geeks need lives. ;-)

• Reply 123 of 299
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

The only phone that actually matters in this industry. Can't wait. 

Oh, and not surprised that Tallest Ski doesn't have enough humility and respect to post an apology, after more than a year of mocking, belittling, denigrating, and insulting any poster who had the gall to suggest this might indeed be a possibility for the name of the next phone, while shitting up almost every single iPhone related thread with rambling rants about his justifications based on lists, charts, generations, not to mention being forced to see that damn sig for a year in every single one of his posts. Believe it or not, people here were intelligent enough to count, but you acted as if you had inifnitely more insight and wisdom into the matter (a trivial matter at that) than everyone else- treating anyone who dared disagree like a hopeless idiot. Well now, not shockingly, you've turned out to be spectacularly wrong, and after all the horse-shit posts you've made on the matter that could fill up the library of congress, your response to the first post calling you out with a single sentence is 'Frikkin lay off of it', without a hint of irony of what you subjected this forum to the past year or so, when everyone on this forum was literally begging you to 'lay off of it' and your infinite refusal to do so. Yet now you respond with faux-indignation to a post where someone is understandably wanting you to at least aknowledge your ridiculous, pointless behavior that did nothing but sidetrack hundreds of threads into irrelevant, pointless bickering.  How does your mind work, exactly? Do you not see the hyposricy and why people would be upset? I hope this teaches you a damn lesson, in that you can express an opinion ("I think iPhone 5 would not be the best naming option") in a much more rational way with some humility, instead of pretending you know exctly what Apple will or will not do and then chastise everyone on this board who might not exhibit the same level of single-minded stubbornness about the subject that you do. 

Unbelievable. 

• Reply 124 of 299
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

... Apple, as far as I can tell has never categorized (sic) a newer iteration of the iPhone as the next 'generation'....

They don't have to.  "Generation" is used in the standard sense of referring to each year's model.  

The next iPhone will be the "next generation" iPhone as well as the "sixth generation" iPhone regardless of what Apple or anyone else does or says.  It isn't up to Apple to say so, these are just standard terms of reference that are always true irrespective of what the official naming convention is or becomes.  

• Reply 125 of 299

i'm looking to upgrade from an iPhone 3GS.  the new iPhone, being announced next week, may be worth the purchase

• Reply 126 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm not inserting anything about the name. I change it to the right generation. I also don't edit their posts.

But it isn't. Only internally is it anything "5". And then the iPhone 4 was internally 3

I was insistent about "iPhone 6" until this year's iPad came out, and for that I apologize, but I don't see a reason to apologize for backing "6th iPhone" thereafter.

You need to look at it like this.

The original iPhone = Kindergarten

Then, generationaly the numbering sytem works as do grades. If you look at it that way, I promise, it will be ok.

We all spent 13 years in a public school system even though our "senior year" was called 12th grade.

• Reply 127 of 299

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

The original iPhone = Kindergarten

Then, generationaly the numbering sytem works as do grades. If you look at it that way, I promise, it will be ok.

So 0, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5. I never had to repeat a grade, so I don't see how looking at it like that is helpful.

• Reply 128 of 299
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Specifically on that, take a look at this. They put "The new iPhone" right on the box. Now, they don't do this with the iPad. Fake? Click for much larger, and then right-click and open the image in a new tab for the full size… 

That could be the new box design or it could be a mock up? I don't have an old iPhone box handy to check the construction. Does anyone know if the graphics are laminated onto the box or if the box stock is printed directly. In either case that print is on thin paper and that press is not running.

• Reply 129 of 299

Any thoughts that it could be 5 products being released, and they are just teasing everyone who thinks it'll be called the iPhone 5 ?

• Reply 130 of 299

Of course it was going to be the iPhone 5.

Why are people arguing it based on generation numbers? You forget that 99% of the public has no idea what gen the phone is, and doesn't really care. For them, going from 4 to 6 would simply seem bizarre. And if there's one thing which sets Apple apart from other manufacturers, it's that it does what suits the customer rather than the tech geek.

• Reply 131 of 299
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That could be the new box design or it could be a mock up? I don't have an old iPhone box handy to check the construction. Does anyone know if the graphics are laminated onto the box or if the box stock is printed directly. In either case that print is on thin paper and that press is not running.

If it is real, that lady might get fired.

• Reply 132 of 299
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    If one more person makes a post about naming conventions I'm going to die from 'boring cancer'...
  • Reply 133 of 299
    tulkas wrote: »
    If it is real, that lady might get fired.

There are 3 reasons why I don't believe it is the real box:

1. It says 'The new iPhone' instead of just 'iPhone'.

2. There is no passbook app

3. The native YouTube app is there.
  • Reply 134 of 299

Does anyone know if the graphics are laminated onto the box or if the box stock is printed directly.

Ah, see that's the thing. It does look too thin to be the box top itself, but if the cardboard that makes that up has had a label laminated on it… 

And I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be standing there with the press running… image Not sure what that has to do with authenticity. Sanity, maybe. 

Originally Posted by derekthetech View Post

Any thoughts that it could be 5 products being released, and they are just teasing everyone who thinks it'll be called the iPhone 5 ?

The former would be great, but I certainly hope the latter.

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

For them, going from 4 to 6 would simply seem bizarre.

I don't recall anyone getting into a tizzy over the jump from iPhone to iPhone 3G.

Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post

There are 3 reasons why I don't believe it is the real box:

1. It says 'The new iPhone' instead of just 'iPhone'.

2. There is no passbook app

3. The native YouTube app is there.

Yep. Clincher. "the new" had me suspicious, but that's definitely a fake now.

It's amazing the lengths to which people will go and the money they'll spend to lie and then be unable to even tell the truth at ANY point in the future, just for five seconds of fame. And when they screw up that badly… 

• Reply 135 of 299
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

Specifically on that, take a look at this. They put "The new iPhone" right on the box. Now, they don't do this with the iPad. Fake? Click for much larger, and then right-click and open the image in a new tab for the full size… 

The iPhone 4 box was laminated. Where did that image come from? Interesting - if real, the box will have the number 6 on each end

• Reply 136 of 299
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

I think you're implying that in editing an original post, the mod would be doing it to change the position of a poster. If I'm wrong on that, let me know.

I can't imagine a site would want that to happen, much less give leave to have it done. That's not what I have done. When it's just an offhand comment and not having anything to do with the argument at hand, occasionally I'd change it if I was then referencing multiple generations of phone. To my recollection (ha!), I didn't do anything as petty as change it in quoted posts when the topic at hand WAS the name itself. If I'm wrong on that, also let me know so that I can go flog myself.

I'm not implying that you've done anything, actually, and I have no position on what Apple's next iDevice should be called or how it should be numbered, though I do find all the "sturm und drang" invested in the topic to be mildly amusing if eventually tedious and irrelevant. They can call it the DaHarder X for all I care if it's the gadget I'm looking for (well, actually they can't - there are names that would drive my and others' purchasing decisions elsewhere, but you see my point I'm sure). 

And I both enjoy and sometimes dispute what you and Melgross and others do and say here... ...I know we're all passionate on the matters of tech at hand and it would be boring beyond belief if we all had but one opinion, so you have my respect if not my constant concurrence....  ...but not the point today.

I'm just more curious about what an AI "Global Moderator" is in fact, e.g., how one becomes one and more.  I'm assuming it's an unpaid, non-staff deal, and if so wondering what duties, responsibilities, particular privileges and powers (e.g., deleting offensive posts, proofing articles, banning abusive posters, etc.) and any expectations from AI itself that the role entails. 

So more of a simple "Enquiring minds wanna know" thing.....

• Reply 137 of 299
    [B][SIZE=4]. . iPhone 5 or the 5th anniversary of the iPhone? [/SIZE][/B]
  • Reply 138 of 299

Quote:

And I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be standing there with the press running… image Not sure what that has to do with authenticity. Sanity, maybe. 

Only that this photograph is staged is all. Standing in front of the press gives the impression that the sheet it is being printed. There is nothing wrong with standing in that location as that is exactly where a pressman would stand during operation however a pressman does not wear white gloves or any gloves for that matter because they need to quickly pull proof sheets from the stack as they are coming out of the press which you would never be able to do wearing gloves. Those gloves are worn by the person making plates, who is usually not involved with handling any of the printed pieces as fresh ink and white gloves do not go together. Ironically the plate person is usually the first person at the shop in the morning and might have the opportunity to stage that shot when no one else was around.

• Reply 139 of 299

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The iPhone 4 box was laminated. Where did that image come from? Interesting - if real, the box will have the number 6 on each end

It does have a 6 on it

• Reply 140 of 299
    I guess it's finally time to upgrade my 3GS. This is one of the many thing I love about Apple. I have a soon-to-be 3-generation old phone and it still works like a champ. I can upgrade to the next iOS and not have any issues. The whole Apple ecosystem can't be matched by anybody else out there.