Galaxy S III passes Apple's iPhone 4S, becomes top selling US smartphone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    oneaburns wrote: »
    Every time I start thinking I'm an Apple fan boy I just come here and read a few comments...especially ones by certain "moderators."  I'm completely prepared for the bashing I will receive, BUT...this is the first time I've ever had a little bit of phone envy.  However, my envy is only on the hardware side.  The GS3 is a good looking phone.  I would seriously consider it over my iPhone 4S if it ran iOS and that makes me a little sad.  IF all the leaked photos are accurate and the new iPhone is simply a stretched version of the 4S then I will be extremely disappointed and I know I won't be alone.
    Count me in.. I won't upgrade. My 4s is rock solid and with IOS 6 should be better. I love the screen size of GS3. And no, the new iPhone screen size don't have to be the same size as GS3... But it Must be bigger.
  • Reply 62 of 91
    rogifan wrote: »
    This certainly isn't a surprise considering a new iPhone will be announced soon and Samsung + carriers have been marketing the Galaxy S III like crazy. I'd be more surprised if it wasn't #1 to be honest.
    Agreed. This news should'nt be a surprise to all who blogs here. Yes we all are smarter than "the average bear".... Did I just "date myself"...
  • Reply 63 of 91
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Most Deservedly .. . Samsung Galaxy SIII = Easily the best smartphone existent.

... and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

It stirs.  It comes out of its cave.  It sees its shadow.  Six more weeks of its eternal winter.  

• Reply 64 of 91
    gwmac wrote: »
    The S III is a really nice phone. Fantastic screen, very fast and smooth to use, and Ice Cream Sandwich is a huge improvement over the 2.x Android releases. I have an iPhone 4S and I am pretty happy with it. My biggest 2 complaints (small screen and no LTE) will be addressed with the iPhone 5. 

The new iPhone will definitely sell like hotcakes and break all previous records. I have to wonder how well the tall and narrow 4" will be received though. Assuming the rumors are true. Apple is very slow to change so I would expect this size screen  to be around for a few years. I was definitely hoping for a wider and taller screen at about 4.3" since I think that is the real sweet spot. 

I'm hoping for a 16:10 screen. I'm also hoping all the rumors are crap purposely leaked by Apple.
  • Reply 65 of 91

The G 1III should outsell the iPhone 4s.  Its a brand new shiny thing compared to a year old iPhone 4s...

So love these articles and how they are titled to get hits, period.   LOL

• Reply 66 of 91

The key would be if the new iPhone can be jailbroken or not. If it can't? It's going to be trouble for Apple. Will still sell well in US but the growth could be on last leg internationally. My friends in foreign countries (Europe/Asia) for the 1st time, owns more Galaxy S III than iphone. It's a small sample but still telling in my book since most of my friends are not good at tech.

• Reply 67 of 91

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

The key would be if the new iPhone can be jailbroken or not. If it can't? It's going to be trouble for Apple.

You better be joking.

• Reply 68 of 91

Some will read this article and think that samsung is taking over.....glad to see that some can read through all the bull.

• Reply 69 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [B]Samsung's flagship phone now outselling year-old 5th gen iPhone right before 6th iPhone is to be released.[/B]

This is news, why?
  • Reply 70 of 91

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Samsung's flagship phone now outselling year-old 5th gen iPhone right before 6th iPhone is to be released.

This is news, why?

I think this might be the reason Apple sent the invitation out today instead of tomorrow. But we can never really know.

What better retribution for an opponent finally standing on his own two feet than to kick him in the crotch?

• Reply 71 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Some people like their plastic.

lol

• Reply 72 of 91
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    softeky wrote: »
    I was curious why there were no iPhones on display at my local AT&T store and was told they had been removed because they kept getting stolen. When I pointed out that the implication was that the phones actually on display were not worth stealing, the sales guy was not amused.

Now that's funny!!
  • Reply 73 of 91
    eldernorm wrote: »
    The G 1III should outsell the iPhone 4s.  Its a brand new shiny thing compared to a year old iPhone 4s...

So love these articles and how they are titled to get hits, period.   LOL

I wasn't impressed. A meatball at work upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the shiny new thing, and he was walking around with a full gadget-boner for several weeks afterwards, showing it off to everyone whether they asked to see it or not. It was the weirdest thing, this behavior, which I can only describe as "let me show you my shiny new thing" mentality. The irony is, he could barely see the OLED display outdoors, and the S3 would crash/reboot while he was showing it off. The only time I've seen iPhones kernel panic that much is when they're jail broken and full of hacked/pirated apps.
  • Reply 74 of 91
    Actually best phone is the recent galaxy nexus, with Jellybean.

Also how do iphone users share URLs from the default web browser onto places like face book or google plus?
    Does apple still restrict applications from extending the share menu?
  • Reply 75 of 91

Originally Posted by airtonix View Post

Actually best phone is the recent galaxy nexus, with Jellybean.

I doubt that.

Also how do iphone users share URLs from the default web browser onto places like face book or google plus?

Copy and paste.

• Reply 76 of 91
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple needs to sue AT&T for gross, willful slander. This is unac-effing-ceptable.

I want to work at Apple Corporate. I so want to work at Apple Corporate. Preferably medium-high up. Walk into an AT&T store, hear this tripe, and then just explode at the guy from across the room, walking ever closer.

Manager comes out, "sir, you're going to have to leave," whip out my Apple Corporate ID, watch his face go white as a sheet. 

"We're not done here," I'll say, even if I've no authority to say so, "you won't get away with these lies." Walk out, leaving all other customers wondering what they were lied to about the iPhone, leading them to do research on their own. 

You really are too emotionally invested in this, and you really should learn to relax sometimes. Beyond that laws in terms of litigation and other matters really don't work the way you see on television.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Of course. It's using Apple's IP.

You mean the utility patents? I haven't looked into that fully, but infringing is not the same as using Apple's IP. They don't have the same source code or anything. It's just this is similar enough to what we patented so we're suing you on it. Having looked at some of the other software patents, they are pretty generic. Apple just appeals rejections until they wear the examiner down with amended versions. I'm convinced that you just make posts like the one above for your own amusement.

• Reply 77 of 91

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

You really are too emotionally invested in this, and you really should learn to relax sometimes.

My stars, it was a joke. But do you think that sort of behavior is acceptable? Not my post's, Verizon/AT&T's? 

• Reply 78 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hmm wrote: »
    You mean the utility patents? I haven't looked into that fully, but infringing is not the same as using Apple's IP. They don't have the same source code or anything. It's just this is similar enough to what we patented so we're suing you on it. Having looked at some of the other software patents, they are pretty generic. Apple just appeals rejections until they wear the examiner down with amended versions. I'm convinced that you just make posts like the one above for your own amusement.

Sorry, but you're wrong. The US court ruled convincingly that Samsung's products infringed on Apple's patents - which means that they used Apple's IP without permission.
  • Reply 79 of 91
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, but you're wrong. The US court ruled convincingly that Samsung's products infringed on Apple's patents - which means that they used Apple's IP without permission.

You are presenting preachy crap here. I'd have to look up if the SIII was included within that, but infringing on a utility patent does not mean it's the same thing. Utility software patents are granted on concepts. They do not involve source code, which is protected by copyright. Perhaps you've looked into whether these are actually truly similar implementations or just things which fall within the outskirts of very broad patents. Now patents are supposed to be specific, yet if you read any of the specific "what is claimed" lines, they aren't always that specific.

• Reply 80 of 91
    crankycranky Posts: 163member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's probably why I didn't say executive… also, yes. Steve Jobs.

I had the same thought about Steve.