Apple introduces volume app purchasing program to 9 countries

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced the introduction of its Volume Purchase Program for developers in nine new countries, allowing app makers to sell their wares in bulk to businesses and educational institutions.

In an announcement to developers, Apple said it is extending volume purchasing for iOS apps beyond U.S. borders for the first time, with the program now available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Spain and the United Kingdom.

Developers who choose to take part in the program can offer their apps at a discounted rate for businesses and schools that buy in bulk. In addition to the special pricing, developers can craft specialized business-to-business apps for customers that are part of the Volume Purchasing Program for Business, further incentivizing bulk buys.

Apple Volume Purchase Program

Educational institutions can also benefit from the program as developers can offer both apps and e-books at reduced pricing on purchases of 20 units or more. In addition, the normal sales tax attached to the apps will be waived if the school has tax-exempt status. The purchased content can be distributed to students, teachers, administrators, and employees.

It was reported earlier on Tuesday that Apple's iPad definitively replaced sales of traditional PCs to schools and students in the K-12 market for the first time. In the June quarter, education shipments for PCs fell 265,000 units or 13.9 percent year-to-year, while Apple's iPad sold almost one million units over the same period.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

I think they need to rethink how they do this. Its very confusing for people and the schools I work in. I think it could be vastly improved. 

• Reply 2 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I think they need to rethink how they do this. Its very confusing for people and the schools I work in. I think it could be vastly improved. 

Uhh, didn't they just rethink things with this announcement?

• Reply 3 of 7
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I'm not familiar with the program but this article reads like the same system in place for the US will extended to additional countries. That makes macxpress's opinion relevant.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    macxpress wrote: »

Make your suggestions to Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jkgmjkgm Posts: 22member

About f'ing time. Apple has been telling us "any day now" for well over a year in the Asia-Pacific area.

• Reply 6 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    jkgm wrote: »
    About f'ing time. Apple has been telling us "any day now" for well over a year in the Asia-Pacific area.

You make it sound like asia pacific was somehow left out but the fact is this is a new program for everyone (except for the us where it was initially tested). So in fact AP is actually in the very first group included in the program.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

No, they introduced the same confusing system to other countries...Nothing changed on how it works...just that its available in more countries.