Galaxy S III passes Apple's iPhone 4S, becomes top selling US smartphone

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hmm wrote: »

You are presenting preachy crap here. I'd have to look up if the SIII was included within that, but infringing on a utility patent does not mean it's the same thing. Utility software patents are granted on concepts. They do not involve source code, which is protected by copyright. Perhaps you've looked into whether these are actually truly similar implementations or just things which fall within the outskirts of very broad patents. Now patents are supposed to be specific, yet if you read any of the specific "what is claimed" lines, they aren't always that specific.

We weren't talking about the SIII. I was responding to your comment that infringing a patent was not the same as using Apple's IP. By definition, it is.

The rest of your post is pure nonsense, as well. Utility patents are most certainly NOT granted on concepts. They're granted on specific implementations of an invention. A 'concept' can not get a patent.

And unless you're arguing that Samsung totally rewrote all the Touchwiz and Android software for the SIII, if it uses the same things as the earlier products (bounce back, etc), then it will likely be infringing, although that does have to be decided by a court.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

We weren't talking about the SIII. I was responding to your comment that infringing a patent was not the same as using Apple's IP. By definition, it is.

The rest of your post is pure nonsense, as well. Utility patents are most certainly NOT granted on concepts. They're granted on specific implementations of an invention. A 'concept' can not get a patent.

And unless you're arguing that Samsung totally rewrote all the Touchwiz and Android software for the SIII, if it uses the same things as the earlier products (bounce back, etc), then it will likely be infringing, although that does have to be decided by a court.

Go ahead and read some of "what is claimed". That line indicates things which are protected by the patent, with many of the other details suggesting how they might be used. It's not as specific as what you've mentioned regarding how design patents must almost tell you how something would be built. What is likely is pointless to argue here. Neither of us looked that up.

By the way, I see some of these articles detailing what outsold what on a month by month basis as bordering on flamebait. As some others have noted, it's normal for iphone sales to be dropping at this time unless they were recently picked up by a number of new carriers in certain countries. It will be more interesting to see how the new one fairs. The rumor that Apple plans to release a low cost unsubsidized phone is also interesting. Like you (I remember one of your prior statements) I expect subsidized phones to dwindle in popularity at some point.

• Reply 83 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Most Deservedly .. . Samsung Galaxy SIII = Easily the best smartphone existent.

... and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

Hardware, absolutely. Mindset will take a lot longer to change.

Can Samsung really do it with Asia and Europe market while leaving North America to Apple? If Samsung can do that, they won't have to worry.

The only way I can see the table turned is the fight breaks out among Apple's executive, similar to the Nokia Civil War between House of E and House of N sometimes between 2002-2005.

• Reply 84 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Every time I start thinking I'm an Apple fan boy I just come here and read a few comments...especially ones by certain "moderators."  I'm completely prepared for the bashing I will receive, BUT...this is the first time I've ever had a little bit of phone envy.  However, my envy is only on the hardware side.  The GS3 is a good looking phone.  I would seriously consider it over my iPhone 4S if it ran iOS and that makes me a little sad.  IF all the leaked photos are accurate and the new iPhone is simply a stretched version of the 4S then I will be extremely disappointed and I know I won't be alone.

How long your contract left then? Can you wait until after New Year and, hopefully, Post New Year Discount?

• Reply 85 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hmm wrote: »

Go ahead and read some of "what is claimed". That line indicates things which are protected by the patent, with many of the other details suggesting how they might be used. It's not as specific as what you've mentioned regarding how design patents must almost tell you how something would be built. What is likely is pointless to argue here. Neither of us looked that up.

I don't need to look it up - I know how patents work. I've got a patent and have supervised groups which got many more.

A patent requires a reduction to practice. In the case of software, that is interpreted loosely, but if the patent is not specific, it can be rejected. A patent needs to be specific enough to enable one skilled in the art to duplicate it.
  • Reply 86 of 91

Ouch. That must hurt you guys. LOL!

• Reply 87 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Most Deservedly .. . Samsung Galaxy SIII = Easily the best smartphone existent.

... and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

paid advertiser, maybe?

• Reply 88 of 91
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by airtonix View Post

Also how do iphone users share URLs from the default web browser onto places like google plus?

What's google plus?

Is that like Bebo or something?

• Reply 89 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Except one thing, it cannot do phone calls as well as other phones as the call quality is below average.

Not true at all -

"The in-call quality of the Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III was really good with a crisp and loud sound. Reception was also problem-free and we didn't suffer dropped calls though in areas of very poor coverage the sound would occasionally break up."

Source - http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-review-761p6.php

Call quality is very good on the S3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I wasn't impressed. A meatball at work upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the shiny new thing, and he was walking around with a full gadget-boner for several weeks afterwards, showing it off to everyone whether they asked to see it or not. It was the weirdest thing, this behavior, which I can only describe as "let me show you my shiny new thing" mentality. The irony is, he could barely see the OLED display outdoors, and the S3 would crash/reboot while he was showing it off. The only time I've seen iPhones kernel panic that much is when they're jail broken and full of hacked/pirated apps.

Also not quite sure where some of this is coming from.

"Screen Reflectance:  Ambient light reflecting off the screen washes out the image, its contrast and colors. Increasing the screen Brightness is one way to overcome this problem but it uses precious battery power (and speeds up the OLED aging process). A much better method is to lower the screen Reflectance. Because of the way the LCD optics works they already have some built-in anti-reflection – not so for OLEDs, so they have a much more difficult Reflectance problem. Fortunately, Samsung has risen to the challenge because the Galaxy S OLED displays all have Reflectance of 5 percent or less – among the lowest we have ever measured. The Nokia Lumia 900 is the only other Smartphone to come in under 5 percent Reflectance. This is quite impressive – it’s done by using advanced optics, a Quarter Wave Plate under the cover glass suppresses the reflections. This is super important for OLEDs because of the brightness, power, and aging issues discussed above. Samsung has done an excellent job here. However, the Lab measurements indicate that the Reflectance is getting slightly worse from I to II to III, rather than better…"

Source: http://www.displaymate.com/OLED_Galaxy_S123_ShootOut_1.htm

Anyways, this entire post is stupid. Of course the month to month sales of the 4s are going to be lower the month before a new iPhone announcement. Looking forward to Sept. 12th :).

Reflection may be worse with each consecutive Galaxy phone thus far, but it is still very good. Note: this isn't to say that the iPhone's isn't, just that screen reflection on the GSIII isn't a negative point.

• Reply 90 of 91
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It doesn't use bounceback. Had Samsung not been lax about responding with program code in a timely manner the court would have accepted evidence that Samsung no longer infringed on Apple claims in the "bounceback patent"

• Reply 91 of 91

Koreans will do any trick to scam money out of people.

I hate koreans who do this and suggest everyone should BOYCOTT KOREAN products NOW

CARS-kia hyundai, licensed GDI direct injection engine technology from Mitsubishi of Japan back in 1999, claims it as their own invention. Copies honda, one example is hyundais logo (H logo is ripped of from hondas H). copy and pretend, rinse and repeat....
    kia forte- total rip off of the legendary Honda Civic. http://montrealracing.com/images/0410kia.jpg

TECHNOLOGY-easy: samscum- rips off and violates apples patents, got caught resulting in multi Bilion dollar fine.

MUSIC-kara-snsd. kpop. fake no talent losers who bleach their face, get tons of face surgery and dye their hair blonde to look white, plagiarises US artists

BOYCOTT THE FOLLOWING KOREAN PRODUCTS

SAMSUNG
    LG
    Hyundai
    Kumho/Hankook Tires
    kia
    Hynix
    Hanjin
    ALL korean propaganda outlets such as YG Entertainment and S.M. Entertainment

IT is perfectly ok buy apple products that have got some korean components such as memory, SSD and displays because samsung,LG,hynix make little profit on their OEM and supplier division. Koreans make make the gains on the branded devices like TVs, cars and cellphones which have huge profit margins.

HIT south korea HARD AND BOYCOTT SOUTH KOREAN COMPANIES!