How to burn the best quality snapz animation to disc to play in Apple and Windows

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

I made a slideshow presentation in Powerpoint, which I want to copy to a dvd disc which can be played on Windows or Apple. As this is a Photographic and Designing Portfolio, I want to maintain the best quality possible. I captured the slideshow with SnapzPro, but are having trouble burning it onto a disc. First, I saved it as a the Quickbook movie animation, with excellent quality, but it was too big to burn to disc. Then saved it as MP4 file, in the finder right-clicked on it and said "burn to disc". It plays fine on my Apple, but very poorly on my Windows lap top. Do I have to convert it to MP2 Video file via iMovie and then burn it in iDVD? What is the best way to do this to maintain the quality of my still photos and graphic designs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2

My suggestion to you is always be prepared with multiple solutions.

1. To Burn it to DVD yes you must first compress your AIFF or Dolby audio files and yes you need MPG-2 files. This is not a simple burn you need to Author it in iDVD or DVD Studio Pro.

2. MPEG-4 Format wrapper with the H.264 Codec. i personally love using MPEG Streamclip. Its the industry darling for compression.

You never know what the presentation facility will have for the presenter. So yes have a DVD and the MPG4 file burned to a disk. ALSO don't forget that you can buy a thumb drive or you can use your iPhone, iPad, iPod or iPod Touch as an external drive there are free apps for that I use them all the time.  Another thing you should also do just to be safe is upload the file to a remote server just in case you forget a disk or your external drive options. I'm just trying to tell you to be prepared and giving you some simple and effective solutions because I know they have helped save me a number of times when I had to present. I hope this helps. Personally I think DVD's are on their way out the door and you loose lots of quality and control with them I totally favor the MPG4 option.

MPEG Stream Clip specs for a solid MPG4 playback on Mac or PC.

• Reply 2 of 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driftwood Dream View Post

I made a slideshow presentation in Powerpoint, which I want to copy to a dvd disc which can be played on Windows or Apple. As this is a Photographic and Designing Portfolio, I want to maintain the best quality possible. I captured the slideshow with SnapzPro, but are having trouble burning it onto a disc. First, I saved it as a the Quickbook movie animation, with excellent quality, but it was too big to burn to disc. Then saved it as MP4 file, in the finder right-clicked on it and said "burn to disc". It plays fine on my Apple, but very poorly on my Windows lap top. Do I have to convert it to MP2 Video file via iMovie and then burn it in iDVD? What is the best way to do this to maintain the quality of my still photos and graphic designs?

To maintain max quality and minimize rip risks DON'T burn it all to DVD (which will screw up in a few years anyway) but leave it on your Mac and show it to others across the internet using e.g. http://www.screenr.com/ on their own screen!

Saves you buying, burning, and storing that DVD too.

Good luck.