Nokia, Motorola to unveil new phones at the 'worst time:' a week before Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Both Nokia and Google-owned Motorola Mobility are holding events today to introduce new products, just a week before Apple is expected to introduce its next-generation iPhone.

The events from Motorola and Nokia are being staged at the "worst time," in the eyes of analyst Brian White with Topeka Capital Markets. Joining them will be HTC, which has an event scheduled for Sept. 19, one week after Apple's event.

"Ultimately, we believe Nokia, Motorola and HTC will regret launching important new smartphones at the same time as the world's most anticipated consumer electronics launch ever, the iPhone 5," White wrote in a note to investors on Wednesday.

He expects that most of the smartphones unveiled this month by Apple's competitors will have expected features like larger screen sizes, faster chips and high-speed 4G LTE data connectivity. But without Apple's "vertically integrated digital grid," White doesn't think competing companies will have much of a chance against the new iPhone.

"Apple offers the ability for seamless connections across devices which has differentiated the company's digital grid, and this experience has improved markedly with the introduction of iCloud," he wrote.

Event

And while competing brands like Nokia, Motorola, HTC and Research in Motion have seen their brands deteriorate, Apple's continues to strengthen. Because of that, White said he wouldn't be surprised if HTC, Nokia and RIM are no longer standalone companies in the next 18 to 24 months.

Interest in Apple's next iPhone is at a fever pitch after the company sent out invitations on Tuesday to a media event next week. The company is expected to unveil the "iPhone 5" in its keynote presentation at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95

I'm sure the timing was just a coincidence. /s

• Reply 2 of 95
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member

Surely the worst time would be the day before the world ends?

• Reply 3 of 95

It's unlikely that either Nokia watchers (WP7/WP8) or Motorola Watchers (Android) would be affected by the Apple conference though.  The only people who might care are those who might be swayed FROM Apple, and if that's the case I doubt a new iPhone will change their minds that much.

• Reply 4 of 95
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

The 9/12 date was rumored for a long time.  I think this was planned with the iPhone announcement in mind--of course, to attract Apple-haters with a fresh alternative.  Kinda smart.

• Reply 5 of 95
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mobius wrote: »
    Surely the worst time would be the day before the world ends?

For these companies there world could end very soon.
  • Reply 6 of 95

Comments from a financial analyst have nothing to do with whether a Moto (Android) or Windows mobile fan is on the fence - it's all about brand marketing and overall company prospects.  It's hard for any other company to compete with Apple's marketing prowess, at least as far as a single product is concerned.  Apple's integrated and complimentary systems and products to this day have not been challenged by any competitor and no other company is even showing signs that they'll be able to compete head to head any time soon.

• Reply 7 of 95
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    could it be... our product will not be noticed after the iPhone release?....

or our phones will pale in comparison to the iPhone... if released after the iPhone.

there is no time like the present
  • Reply 8 of 95

Bahahaha, Epic Fail Moto/Nokia.

• Reply 9 of 95
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    FACT: Not every consumer wants, or even cares about the new(ish) iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Enough of them do.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/17/the-iphone-4s-is-a-sirious-hit/

The iPhone is *the* big news of the industry, from mid-summer to release. Apple sneezes, everyone grabs a Kleenex.

• Reply 11 of 95

As someone who has used every iPhone since the 3G, I'm kind of excited to see what Nokia has to offer.  I've really not been pleased with Exchange integration in iOS.  As a heavy Outlook user at work, I am interested in what Nokia will bring to the table.  Kind of glad it's before the Apple announcement so I know what else is available before the pre-order of the iPhone!

• Reply 12 of 95
    wingswings Posts: 261member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

It's hard for any other company to compete with Apple's marketing prowess, at least as far as a single product is concerned.

I see it all the time - people talk about Apple's marketing as if that's the thing driving its sales. When the ONLY thing they have said with regards to marketing the iPhone 5 is "It's almost here". 

• Reply 13 of 95
    wingswings Posts: 261member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

You're right. But at least in the US, most do.

Probably also true in the rest of the world but most can't afford it.

• Reply 14 of 95
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Nokia and Motorola need new products out in time for the holidays, just like any consumer company does. They can hardly wait until January to announce these phones.

• Reply 15 of 95
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

The way the tech media is biased to big a** phones these days I don't think it's a 'worst time'.  If they come out with 4.5" phones And Apple does 4" the tech press will brand Apple's new phone a failure.  These days it seems nothing matters except how big the screen is.  Unless it's a tablet, then the screen size needs to be shrinking.  Because I guess people need 5" phones and 7" tablets.

• Reply 16 of 95
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I dont agree. they will get more media attention by doing it before than after.

• Reply 17 of 95
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The way the tech media is biased to big a** phones these days I don't think it's a 'worst time'.  If they come out with 4.5" phones And Apple does 4" the tech press will brand Apple's new phone a failure.  These days it seems nothing matters except how big the screen is.  Unless it's a tablet, then the screen size needs to be shrinking.  Because I guess people need 5" phones and 7" tablets.

Actually I would love a 12" to 15" tablet. Hope Apple are the first to come out with an ipad XL. There is a market for multiple size tablets, depending on youre need.  On the go a 7" tablet makes sense, but if the tablet is always used at home, it could be bigger than 10".

• Reply 18 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

The 9/12 date was rumored for a long time.  I think this was planned with the iPhone announcement in mind--of course, to attract Apple-haters with a fresh alternative.  Kinda smart.

Just because someone chooses something over an iPhone, doesn't make them an "Apple hater". It's this kind of rhetoric that actually makes people hate Apple users,

• Reply 19 of 95
    well from a competitive standpoint its a REALLY BOLD move...

Think of it this way... You release a phone with 4" screen, 4g/LTE, 8mp camera, 32gb ram, AND wireless charging.
    Then Apple releases similar but no charging.

If significant enough,consumers WILL question their purchase.
    Because a bulk of iphone users aren't Apple fans. Just consumers.
  • Reply 20 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

You're right. But at least in the US, most do.

Probably also true in the rest of the world but most can't afford it.

Exactly right. Moreover, that troll's comment (as usual) misses the obvious point of the article: there are eleven other calendar months....

Pathetic little copycats.