Nokia, Motorola to unveil new phones at the 'worst time:' a week before Apple

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Yes, it's a bit bewildering. Like Nokia can do nothing right. But I personally don't think MS tablet strategy is linking deeply with the phone. Even when they demoed Windows RT they demoed Excel. That show they try to sell it to people who's familiar with Windows in general but want something like iPad, rather than people who want it to work with their phones.

People are going to find that using Office on either Microsoft tablet is a problem. There are already reviews of this and so far, the opinions aren't good. I don't know why people, at least some, seem to think that using Windows on a 10.6" tablet will actually be better than using them on the failed 13-15" tablets that were earlier being promoted over the years, but failed, because Windows doesn't work well on a screen with a stylus, or especially, a finger.

Metro, uh, that is, Windows 8 -Style UI, works well enough, but the Office apps are styled as the older Desktop software. That's on both Rt and x86 tablets. People are going to be shocked and frustrated over this.

That's why all the new tablets that have just been shown by various ODM's come with a keyboard of some sort. But do people want to need a keyboard with their new TABLET? I don't think so.
  • Reply 62 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

You just made me spill my beer!

LOL

;)

Just the way things are these days . . .

• Reply 63 of 95

So did anyone watch the Nokia event?  Was it even worth it?  Snoozer?

• Reply 64 of 95
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

People are going to find that using Office on either Microsoft tablet is a problem. There are already reviews of this and so far, the opinions aren't good. I don't know why people, at least some, seem to think that using Windows on a 10.6" tablet will actually be better than using them on the failed 13-15" tablets that were earlier being promoted over the years, but failed, because Windows doesn't work well on a screen with a stylus, or especially, a finger.

Metro, uh, that is, Windows 8 -Style UI, works well enough, but the Office apps are styled as the older Desktop software. That's on both Rt and x86 tablets. People are going to be shocked and frustrated over this.

That's why all the new tablets that have just been shown by various ODM's come with a keyboard of some sort. But do people want to need a keyboard with their new TABLET? I don't think so.

I am personally cheering for them. I'm so sick with all these iPhone-wanna-be Androids but I think the best chance MS has is still 50-50. Like you said if they couldn't pull it off.. It's all about Office. If they fail, maybe that's when the stock begins a slide.

Someone has more optimistic view of course.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/4/3291249/the-end-of-android-tablets-google-amazon-kindle-fire-microsoft-windows-8

• Reply 65 of 95
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    So did anyone watch the Nokia event?  Was it even worth it?  Snoozer?

I saw a few minutes of the live blog....Phone looks good...WinPho7-8 always looked good to me...but I have no true interest in the eco-system so I eventually turned it off.

Only Apple events and Google I/O truly interest me.

But from what the live blog showed it looked to be a good event.
  • Reply 66 of 95
    I am personally cheering for them. I'm so sick with all these iPhone-wanna-be Androids but I think the best chance MS has is still 50-50. Like you said if they couldn't pull it off.. It's all about Office. If they fail, maybe that's when the stock begins a slide.

There is literally ONE company who has ever produced iPhone wanna-be Androids...Samsung...and Samsung needs to die or undergo a serious change (after being knocked down a few pegs). I hate Touchwhiz and I hate their design sense.
  • Reply 67 of 95

Can anyone tell me why Nokia didn't disclose the date of availability and price of their new phones at the event today? Nokia management is sooooooooo idiotic. No wonder their products don't sell. What a complete joke!

• Reply 68 of 95
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

FACT: Not every consumer wants, or even cares about the new(ish) iPhone.

How does it feel to be all alone in the dark??  /s

• Reply 69 of 95
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

There is literally ONE company who has ever produced iPhone wanna-be Androids...Samsung...and Samsung needs to die or undergo a serious change (after being knocked down a few pegs). I hate Touchwhiz and I hate their design sense.

Maybe because all Android fans I found are like acme-filled teenagers who always crying foul about rectangular with round corner. If most of them are reasonable like you I might see the platform in a much much better light. :)

• Reply 70 of 95

Quote:

Nokia and Motorola's events were announced BEFORE the iPhone announcement was known.

Are you suggesting they are psychic as well?

Spies in Apple can do the same thing.

But is it possible that Microsoft been sat on WP8 for a while, and only release it now to catch the coattail of Apple fever?

• Reply 71 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Maybe because all Android fans I found are like acme-filled teenagers who always crying foul about rectangular with round corner. If most of them are reasonable like you I might see the platform in a much much better light. :)

Don't look like that where I live. Where are you?

• Reply 72 of 95

Quote:

I saw a few minutes of the live blog....Phone looks good...WinPho7-8 always looked good to me...but I have no true interest in the eco-system so I eventually turned it off.

Only Apple events and Google I/O truly interest me.

But from what the live blog showed it looked to be a good event.

I seconded that, but still didn't see how Mcrosoft would tap Xbox Live crowd to help push WP8 along like they claimed years ago.

• Reply 73 of 95
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

The best time to release these phones is out of sync with Apple. That's what Samsung did with the Galaxy S3. By releasing it while iPhone sales were declining they got a lot of press coverage for being the best selling phone. These other phones are going to compete against the iPhone at its peak. It may be that it's easier for non-Samsung Android phones to compete against the iPhone than a new Samsung phone. iPhone customers probably aren't going to buy an Android phone regardless, so Android manufacturers are competing with each other. You've got to remember these guys are competing for Samsung and Apple's leftovers.

• Reply 74 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Spies in Apple can do the same thing.

But is it possible that Microsoft been sat on WP8 for a while, and only release it now to catch the coattail of Apple fever?

Most consumers *still* don't know what a "Windows Phone" is. And it's been two years, and a ton of money sunk into Nokia/MS marketing efforts already. 

I don't see anyone riding "Apple fever" and benefiting from it aside from Apple. 

• Reply 75 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Most consumers *still* don't know what a "Windows Phone" is. And it's been two years, and a ton of money sunk into Nokia/MS marketing efforts already. 

I don't see anyone riding "Apple fever" and benefiting from it aside from Apple. 

As long as they can get the coverage that is good enough for them. If that means  get some exposures why reporters and bloggers waiting for Sep 12 and nned something to fill their columns, so be it.

• Reply 76 of 95

I pictured wile-e-coyote btw...

But no, the rounded rectangle thing to me is a valid argument...but overblown.
  • Reply 77 of 95
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

The best time to release these phones is out of sync with Apple. That's what Samsung did with the Galaxy S3. By releasing it while iPhone sales were declining they got a lot of press coverage for being the best selling phone. These other phones are going to compete against the iPhone at its peak. It may be that it's easier for non-Samsung Android phones to compete against the iPhone than a new Samsung phone. iPhone customers probably aren't going to buy an Android phone regardless, so Android manufacturers are competing with each other. You've got to remember these guys are competing for Samsung and Apple's leftovers.

Yeah, then they can make announcements and PR about how they're 'outselling' the iPhone, and all their neck-bearded, Apple-hating, basement dwelling foot-soldier trolls on the internet eat that shit up and vomit it back out, not realizing the sheer mind-numbingly pathetic point  that Samsung is comparing sales of its just released flagship, phone with Apple's year old phone. 

• Reply 78 of 95
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

That wireless charging thingy is just a gimmick, but it uses the so--called Qi interoperability technology. In the demo, I think they showed how JBL "Power Up" dock can act as both the wireless charging dock and also as an NFC based audio dock for Nokia 920. All you have to do is to knock the Nokia 920 to the JBL dock and the music is transferred and being played through JBL speaker. 

The deal breaker is perhaps the camera with the new floating lense technology with Nokia 920 with its the PureView: F/2.0 aperture. They also mentioned tons of neat stuff like ClearBlack displays using smart polarizers and an advanced Nokia mapping experience like Nokia City Lens. 

Nokia Lumia 920 Specs:

Processor Snapdragon S4

Dual Core 1.5 Ghz

1 GB internal memory

32 GB mass storage

Battery Capacity 2000 mAh

Display size 4.5 '

1280X768

332 PPI

Main Camera:

Carl Zeiss Tassar 

8.7 MP

3264 x 2448 pixels 

F 2.0

4X digital zoom

Nokia PureView camera

Touch focus

Landscape orientation

Geo-tagging

Auto and manual white balance

Still image editor

Optical Image Stabilization

Lenses applications

Sensor size 1/3 inch

Sensor type: BSI

True 16:9 sensor

Pixel size 1.4 µm

Wireless connectivity:

Near Field Communication

Bluetooth 3.1

Wi-Fi Direct

Wi-Fi Channel bonding

WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n

Qi Wireless charging

Navigation features

Nokia Maps

Nokia Drive: route optimization

Nokia City Lens

Nokia Transport

Offline maps

Turn-by-turn voice guided navigation

Positioning features

Magnetometer

A-GPS

WLAN Network Positioning

Glonass

Speed limit warnings

Online and offline favorites

Data bearers:

HSPA+ (3G)

EDGE/EGPRS (2G)

FD-LTE (4G)

HSUPA (3G)

GSM (2G)

HSDPA (3G)

WCDMA (3G)

Dual Transfer Mode (2G)

Bands:

GSM 850

GSM 900

GSM 1800

GSM 1900

WCDMA Band V (850)

WCDMA Band VIII (900)

WCDMA Band II (1900)

WCDMA Band I (2100)

LTE 800

LTE 900

LTE 1800

LTE 2100

LTE 2600

Connectors

Micro-USB Charging Connector

Micro-USB Data Connector

3.5 mm Universal Audio Connector

Micro-USB 2.0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

lol. 

Apple will implement 'wireless' charging when it's actually- you know- wireless. 

I fail to see the major advantage to this 'wireless' charging that requires a brick as large as the phone to be contact, which just happens to be slower than normal charging, and which adds internal complexity and bulk to the phone. There's nothing wireless about it. Yeah it's a neat gimmick, but beyond saving maybe 2 seconds a day plugging/unplugging the phone, serve no other advantage. I don't see Aple implementing a solution like this, it's simply a half way point and really non-elegant. 

• Reply 79 of 95
    quadra 610 wrote: »

agreed...they botched their entire mobile OS situation.

We shall see, however.
  • Reply 80 of 95

Quote:

Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Doesn't it make sense to let the consumers know the products that will be available to them before a pre-order of the new iPhone is available?  If a consumer is aware that another device is coming out, they may hold off on the pre-order and wait to check out the other device when it's released.

I know this won't affect a large percentage of people, but this 920 announcement has me potentially holding off on an iPhone 5 pre-order.

`I am in the same boat. I have an iphone 4s  and I might switch to wp8 and hold off on a iphone 5 preorder. I see ios getting stale. Yes for most people it suits their needs but apple hasnt been adding the features that I want. Like more info or widgets on the start screen.

I really hope the next iphone is different then the mockups.