Nokia unveils Lumia 920 with 4.5" display, PureView camera

Comments

• Reply 21 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

... But why no price and release date?

They're doing the best they can but they're definitely playing defense.  I think they're punch-drunk from what Apple/iPhone have done to them.

• Reply 22 of 253

Bold move indeed. But Is this also a do-or-die release for Nokia?

If this is a the swansong, it is a beautiful swansong.

• Reply 23 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

They're doing the best they can but they're definitely playing defense.  I think they're punch-drunk from what Apple/iPhone have done to them.

So they wait for Apple's prices then undercut that?

• Reply 24 of 253
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    fairthrope wrote: »
    Bold move indeed. But Is this also a do-or-die release for Nokia?

If this is a the swansong, it is a beautiful swansong.

I think it's indeed do or die.
  • Reply 25 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

14 yrs old at best..all his comments are childish and Apple can do no wrong. 

No, he's in 40's. Old enough to write cursive, use electric typewriters, slide rules and perhaps program QBasic. But growing old don't mean growing up these days.

• Reply 26 of 253
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

The price should be easy. 920 = iPhone 5. The lower one is $100 cheaper. But i guess they might wanna see how advance iPhone 5 is and change the price accordingly?
  • Reply 27 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I do hope apple has done a better job of keeping the next iphone 5 a secret and that the current mockups are not even close. I am not of a big fan of the same width but longer screen.

There's gonna be another iPhone 5?! This wouldn't have happened if Steve Jobs were still here. :)

• Reply 28 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is the implication that you think this is better than Apple's offerings? Can you really say that until the 12th? Of course I look around at other things.

It's an Apple website. I just don't see much reason to report on the others unless there's some direct relation or comparison to Apple's offerings. And at the very least, it doesn't belong in the iPhone subforum, but many generic news postings in the phone industry wind up here, so that's just a difference of opinion. 

Blah, blah, FUD, blah blah, gloom and doom… THIS is why I don't like seeing competitor crap here. Pulls the trolls even further out of the woodwork.

The implication is that these are items that will be considered by iPhone Consumers.

But until they ship (before the iPhone 5), they are just announcements in the wind.  But it's a data point.  Apple doesn't sell in a vacuum, and competition defines Apple.  I do think that MS and Nokia are not out to 'outspec' anyone.  4.5" is the realm of maximum size for a phone, and the rest, is really up to the consumer to determine if the implementation is better.   I like the concept of a phone that integrates with my life, rather than trying to integrate my life with my phone (the metro UI works I think in this small space... less so in a laptop/tablet/pad... but a 'glance and go' is what I want in a phone).

It belongs in the iPhone forum, and this is not a 'generic' newsposting, this is a competitor event.  It's defining the 'market' at least in terms of message (and while you may know believe it, Apple tunes its message, subtley, from what it thinks the market wants to hear, to blocking out the noise from the competition.

As for the trolls and gloom and doom.   let the trolls be trolls. pulling them out shines the light of 'reality' on them.   Light kills trolls.

• Reply 29 of 253

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Old enough to write cursive… But growing old don't mean growing up these days.

Heck yes, I am. My cursive's gorgeous; far better than my print.

And if a few more adults kept the imagination of their childhood days during the time in their life when they can make their dreams reality, I think we'd all be better off. 

• Reply 30 of 253

Yecch... hideous. It hurts the eyes to even look at those phones and displays. As Steve Jobs said of Microsoft, they just have no taste.

• Reply 31 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

This was a REALLY BOLD and COMPETITIVE move for Nokia a week before the announcement of the iPhone 5.

Because when people rethink their contracts, they'll have these features to mull over...

1. 8-megapixel camera that can shoot 1080p high-definition video - WITH IMAGE STABILIZATION

2. "PureView" technology allows shooting imagery without using flash.

3. "Super Sensitive Touch." - allow use of the device while wearing gloves.

4. Inductive charging

5. Mapping with Augmented reality - point the phone down a street and it SHOWS YOU the names of places, shops, bus stops, etc.

6. Even LOW-end phones get  exchangeable shells that allow users to change colors or add wireless charging, and also allows users to input microSD cards.

I'd call that stuff pretty innovative.

And why have this here on AppleInsider?

Because IF all Apple gives us is a 4" screen, LTE, and 3D mapping - this might very well END Apple's dominance of phones.

I'm not trying to down Apple, but after a while, what are we really getting for $199+ in the iPhone that is THAT different from the 2007 iPhone?

You forget NFC! It has NFC, and a 2000 mAh battery!
    But wait for Apple to bring the amazing new iPhone with... a new connectooooor!!! Aaaand it's thinneeer!!! It's magic!
  • Reply 32 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSince86 View Post

Yecch... hideous. It hurts the eyes to even look at those phones and displays. As Steve Jobs said of Microsoft, they just have no taste.

Maybe it's shades of the color themselves you hate?  If Apple released colored iPhones, it'll be freaking brilliant!  Get over it.

• Reply 33 of 253
    Looks like a great phone. Also a unique product by Nokia and Microsoft. Samsung and HTC take note, it is possible to produce a great phone without copying Apple.

Where has HTC copied Apple?
  • Reply 34 of 253
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I like the touch capabilities that allow it to work while wearing gloves or even using an object like a car key. Perfect for cold climates.

• Reply 35 of 253
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member

Why would you have someone who has a strong foreign accent advertise in ENGISH to english speaking audience.

There are thousands of out of work native english speaking actors and techheads that are pretty enough that could handle this promotional video.

I dont understand why companies do this, have a representative detail the product in there native language.

OK now everyone scream at me how I am a racist now....

• Reply 36 of 253
    dgnr8 wrote: »
    Why would you have someone who has a strong foreign accent advertise in ENGISH to english speaking audience.

There are thousands of out of work native english speaking actors and techheads that are pretty enough that could handle this promotional video.

I dont understand why companies do this, have a representative detail the product in there native language.

Samsung does that shit too...it's RETARDED.
  • Reply 37 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

No, I agree with you on this.  You'd think it'd be common sense...

• Reply 38 of 253

Quote:

So they wait for Apple's prices then undercut that?

phones... can't really do that... it's all about the carriers... they pretty much set the price.   the unsub price can be a 'billion' dollars, as long as the carriers release it for $199/$299.

They key factor for these guys is setting a price competitive with Android.... remember, Android phones are 'owning' the phone market.  Nokia and MS hope they can build and sell this for less than an android phone, thus putting pressure on the carriers to maximize their profits ('if we sell this at $149, and subsidize it $325, vs an Android at 159/350... we make more money!").  

This is an Android Killer.  Apple wants WP8 and nokia to 'trifurcate' the market, so there is 40% Android, 30% Apple, and 20% Windows, and 10% everyone else (Hey there RIMM!!!), this will keep the apple ecosystem as a 'plural' choice, rather than the old 90% Windows ecosystem, making Apple's 6% share a 'withering option'.

and Remember, this market will grow for at least 5 more years at  30-50% year over year rate (as dumbphones convert, landlines erode, and as the WorldWide market grows).  

There is room for competition, as long as no one gets a super majority.

• Reply 39 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSince86 View Post

and most people in the world has no taste... maybe Microsoft knows something....

• Reply 40 of 253

Quote:

Still look too close to their old Lumia. And what woul they do for customers who bought 600, 800 and 900 who are now cut loose? Buyers ran away as soon as they heard that their old Lumia won't have software upgrade and non-English keyboards.

People are going to say the same about the iPhone 5 compared to the 4/4S, but in general smartphones have become mature and we're not going to see too many radical hardware designs going forward. Once a manufacturer comes up with a unique look they'll probably stick with it.