Nokia unveils Lumia 920 with 4.5" display, PureView camera

Comments

• Reply 41 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

Why would you have someone who has a strong foreign accent advertise in ENGISH to english speaking audience.

There are thousands of out of work native english speaking actors and techheads that are pretty enough that could handle this promotional video.

I dont understand why companies do this, have a representative detail the product in there native language.

OK now everyone scream at me how I am a racist now....

I don't think you're a racist, but maybe the guy works for Nokia? In any event, I could understand him perfectly.

• Reply 42 of 253
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

The Lumia 800 design, now the 920, is still the best looking phone out there, in my opinion. Now it has what sounds like a phenomenal screen - 4.5", 322ppi, RGB (no ugly pentile matrix here) and at 1280x768 resolution. Nokia apparently also have the best black levels in the business. They're also claiming the camera is the best out there too.

It's a stunning device for sure, and the OS looks lovely too. It even has NFC and wireless charging. I just wish I had more confidence that Win Phone 8 will actually take off, as if it's as still born as Win Phone 7 was then this will be a very beautiful museum piece before long.

• Reply 43 of 253
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

On this point I agree with you completely. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

....this market will grow for at least 5 more years at  30-50% year over year rate (as dumbphones convert, landlines erode, and as the WorldWide market grows).  

There is room for competition, as long as no one gets a super majority.

• Reply 44 of 253
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

What I found impressive was the jbl dock demo (although it didn't quite go smooth). He just placed the lumia on the speaker dock and it switched to wireless streaming of the music to the dock, and the dock began charging the device.

It's pretty ironic Apple will be introducing a new dock connector, whereas Nokia is showing that the device should have no dock connector whatsoever. A move I would have expected from Apple.

Ofcourse we'll have to see if the wireless charging is indeed ready for it (speed of charging and loss of energy come to mind), but still, the future is connector less devices and Nokia has shown us the first glimpse.

• Reply 45 of 253
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Why is every Apple website reporting on this thing? Why do we care?

as an appleinsider global moderator, is that your official position?
  • Reply 46 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

Why would you have someone who has a strong foreign accent advertise in ENGISH to english speaking audience.

There are thousands of out of work native english speaking actors and techheads that are pretty enough that could handle this promotional video.

I dont understand why companies do this, have a representative detail the product in there native language.

OK now everyone scream at me how I am a racist now....

Ahem, if we are using correct English then it would be "their" native language not "there" and I believe he is Indian and English is an official language of India.

• Reply 47 of 253
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

@Tallest Skil  Why are you so invested in your idea of what the iPhone should look like or even be called? Correct me if I am wrong but you ever never been a proper iPhone customer. You said that you won a free 1st generation iPhone but use it as an iPod or maybe on pre-paid? I am trying hard to understand exactly why you think your opinions are close to being relevant when you don't even own a newish (iPhone 4 or later) iPhone yourself. Without owning or using a modern iPhone with iOS 5 your opinions carry little weight. You certainly are not in Apple's demographics. So I am curious since you are not a stakeholder, why are you so invested in this discussion? 

As to the new Nokia, it looks like a really nice phone and may give some Android Apple haters another option. The main drawback to Windows phones is the lack of apps, but once they get the majority of all the popular apps on iOS and Android they may be able to cross that critical barrier. I am not a fan of yellow on a phone but all my phones have always been in a case so it really doesn't matter. I love the option of having a 4.3" or a 4.5" screen. With Apple it is one size fits all and love it or leave it. Mark my words that Apple will reluctantly realize that people want larger than a  4" screen and will eventually have no choice but to make a model around 4.3" to 4.6". Sure the iPhone 5 will sell by the tens of millions but how many more would they sell with a larger screen. Ask pretty much any Android owner why they chose their phone  over an iPhone and they will quickly tell you screen size was the biggest factor. 

• Reply 48 of 253

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

as an appleinsider global moderator, is that your official position?

Why do you keep saying this? We don't make policy. Site owners do. We're entitled to our own opinions, for heaven's sake.

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Mark my words that Apple will reluctantly realize that people want larger than a  4" screen and will eventually have no choice but to make a model around 4.3" to 4.6".

That's the funniest thing I've read in a while.

• Reply 49 of 253

I think the best things about this phone are the OS, design, and screen size. The highlighted features are boring and wouldn't entice me to spend money. The video capabilities are typical of all smart phones. I don't care if you can take pictures without flash. You can use it with gloves - I'm a Texan. It's too freaking hot for gloves. Wireless charging is cool though(especially if you don't have to sit your device on a stupid charging brick, otherwise you can just plug it into an outlet). I can't point my phone down the street and have it return names of places etc, but it will if I just tap on maps(lol). MicroSD card? Awesome.

The design, the OS, app offerings, and screen real estate are what would sell me on this phone. That other stuff is bunk.

• Reply 50 of 253
    lghulm wrote: »
    I believe he is Indian and English is an official language of India.

I learned that from this guy I use to work with...it was a rather interesting moment for me because up until that point I assumed that the accent was borne from the learning of English as a second language when in fact the accent is as much an accent of English as a Cockney, Brooklyn, Dallas accent is.
  • Reply 51 of 253
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lghulm View Post

Ahem, if we are using correct English then it would be "their" native language not "there" and I believe he is Indian and English is an official language of India.

This could be a contender in the worst first post contest.

• Reply 52 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by lghulm View Post

It may be an official language but that doesn't mean they speak it very well. His accent was extremely thick and difficult to understand. Why would Nokia choose a spokesman so hard to comprehend? When I have to strain to understand what someone is saying that detracts from their message. He was a very poor choice. Siri would have done a beter job than this guy. 

• Reply 53 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why do you keep saying this? We don't make policy. Site owners do. We're entitled to our own opinions, for heaven's sake.

That's the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Guess you don't want to comment on the rest of my post since your constant dictates on what Apple should or shouldn't do with an iPhone never seems to satisfy you. As an iPhone 4s owner my opinion is at least relevant since I own and use the product. You are just a an uninformed bystander. Hard to write a review of a restaurant when your only experience has been by looking through the glass window on the outside looking in. Until you actually go inside and taste the food your opinion is really rather worthless. 

• Reply 54 of 253

For some weird reasons, people here seem to love Nokia phones, which I just couldn't understand. I mean, it's Win OS, which just very bulky and way too busy compared to the iOS. "At least they're not copying Apple" is not a good reason to like a phone, period.

• Reply 55 of 253
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Neh..., I'd prefer that "guy" who won that Jeopardy! contest against the two super human blessed with millions of useless information in their collective brains. Watson,..., yes, that's  "its" name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

It may be an official language but that doesn't mean they speak it very well. His accent was extremely thick and difficult to understand. Why would Nokia choose a spokesman so hard to comprehend? When I have to strain to understand what someone is saying that detracts from their message. He was a very poor choice. Siri would have done a beter job than this guy. 

• Reply 56 of 253
    Nice phone. I love windows UI... 4.5 screen size is the "sweet spot" for me. I have a company iPhone 4S. if Apple new iPhone is just a bigger 4s, with better specs. I will carry 2 phones, the 4s and lumia. No android for me!
  • Reply 57 of 253

Wireless charging, NFC, great design and a nice camera. I'm interested to see what upgrades Apple makes to the next iPhone's camera, as this is noticeably better than what we're used to.  I'd hope people take notice of these Nokia phones, they're well designed and have some nifty features. These are looking very demo-able in-store.

One thing I wish these guys would steal from Apple is announcing both price and availability... from what I hear this won't be released until the end of October. It's a soft launch alright - the next iPhone will be launched at least a month before this one.

• Reply 58 of 253

Nokia couldn't find one Finn that speaks intelligible English to do this commercial ...!?!  Because, basically all Finns speak pretty much near perfect English (lived in Sweden for years, and visited Finland frequently).  I mean honestly ... 

No, we're going to go with the Indian guy who pronounces Nokia like "Knockya," so none of the English speaking people this advertisement is targeted towards can understand what he's saying half the time :s

• Reply 59 of 253

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahblade View Post

Nice phone. I love windows UI... 4.5 screen size is the "sweet spot" for me. I have a company iPhone 4S. if Apple new iPhone is just a bigger 4s, with better specs. I will carry 2 phones, the 4s and lumia. No android for me!

Thank You! I agree 100% and am shocked that certain Apple fans are oblivious to the fact that most smartphone owners (even iPhone owners) want a larger screen and I doubt the new 4" elongated version will satisfy this hunger. I would be satisfied with 4.3" but if I had my druthers it would be 4.5". Apple will eventually get the message and make a larger screen, but probably not until 2014. 

• Reply 60 of 253
    Why is every Apple website reporting on this thing? Why do we care?
    Apple vs Samsung news is getting old and it's nice to see a competitor totally different than Apple and Samsung. This is refreshing.