Apple adapters for new 9-pin dock to cost $10, cables will be $19 - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple will be the only initial vendor to offer adapters and cables for its new 9-pin iPhone dock connector, with the new adapter costing around $10 and USB cables for $19, according to a new report.

Citing sources familiar with the company's plans, iLounge reported on Wednesday that the new "Dock Connector Adapter" from Apple will cost about $10, while three-packs will be available for $29. There won't be any third-party adapters available for the new iPhone, at least at launch.

Apple will also be selling its own USB cables for charging and syncing the new iPhone for $19 each.

Apple is said to have stopped approving third-party proposals for connector-equipped accessories in recent months. Sources in the third-party accessory business have reportedly expressed concern that Apple could block out cable makers much as it has done with the MagSafe connector on its notebooks.

"One source notes that Apple will reap a windfall by limiting competition in this manner, generating revenues of $100 million for every 10 million Dock Connector Adapters it sells for $10," author Jeremy Horwitz wrote. "According to the source, Apple estimates that it will sell the first 10 million Adapters by the end of 2012."

Docking cable

Last month, AppleInsider was first to report last week that Apple's new mini dock connector for its next iPhone is expected to feature a 9-pin, orientation-independent design — 8 gold pins that have been seen, plus the metal shell of the connector also serving as a functional contact. Taking cues from its patented MagSafe adapters, the new plug is expected to work in two orientations.

The new mini dock connector will also take up about 60 percent less real estate than its predecessor, the legacy 30-pin dock connector that has been a staple of Apple's handheld devices since it debuted in the third-generation iPod classic nearly 10 years ago.

The new, smaller dock connector is expected to be one of the new features on Apple's next-generation iPhone. The company has scheduled a keynote presentation for next week where it will presumably unveil its new handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56

If it's got to do with the functionality of an Apple product, it'll sell. 

• Reply 2 of 56

How nice of them to provide bulk in just the number I'll need…

• Reply 3 of 56

I assume they'd include cable with the new iPhone, so it's no big deal, can just wait a few months before the OEMs start selling the cheap alternatives.

• Reply 4 of 56
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

"One source notes that Apple will reap a windfall by limiting competition in this manner, generating revenues of $100 million for every 10 million Dock Connector Adapters it sells for $10," author Jeremy Horwitz wrote. "According to the source, Apple estimates that it will sell the first 10 million Adapters by the end of 2012."

They needed to quote someone to multiple some number by $10 to calculate total revenue from selling a $10 item?

• Reply 5 of 56

I have shun away from cheap alternatives after prior bad experiences... Most, if not all, those cheap alternatives just ain't the same kind of quality and sleek as Apple's.

• Reply 6 of 56
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is said to have stopped approving third-party proposals for connector-equipped accessories in recent months. Sources in the third-party accessory business have reportedly expressed concern that Apple could block out cable makers much as it has done with the MagSafe connector on its notebooks.

Or maybe they're going to wait to announce the new connector, then let the 3rd party accessory market get busy designing new docks and accessories once the design spec is published.

Nah, it has to be space aliens.  It's always space aliens...  :LOL:

• Reply 7 of 56

Any word on bulk cable discounts? I've got at least four cables to be replaced, not counting the connector in my Elevation Dock that will need to be replaced. 

• Reply 8 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaicka View Post

I have shun away from cheap alternatives after prior bad experiences... Most, if not all, those cheap alternatives just ain't the same kind of quality and sleek as Apple's.

The OEMs cheap cable are crap, but from my experience, the Apple's own cables are not that much better, still break after a year or so on average. I'd rather buy $1x10 OEM cables and burn 1 every 2-3 months than buying 1 $10 Apple cable and gone after 1 year.  

• Reply 9 of 56

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Nah, it has to be space aliens.  It's always space aliens...  :LOL:

But really, they could very well stop third parties from doing that. 

• Reply 10 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

9 pins? That should be at least 1/3 the price!!!

/s

• Reply 11 of 56
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I was going more for:

... but I like that better!  LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But really, they could very well stop third parties from doing that. 

They could but my guess is that, at worst, they'll just license them like the "Made for iPhone" program.  No reason why Apple wouldn't continue to work with 3rd party accessories (including 9-pin cables) when it serves to promote product lock-in -- especially where the connector will be changing.

Then again, I think the reason they don't license the MagSafe connectors is that poorly made knock-offs could potentially start fires.  (Or maybe it is space aliens...)

• Reply 12 of 56
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

They could but my guess is that, at worst, they'll just license them like the "Made for iPhone" program.  No reason why Apple wouldn't continue to work with 3rd party accessories (including 9-pin cables) when it serves to promote product lock-in -- especially where the connector will be changing.

They already do this.  The way it works is that Apple willingly licences most of their cables and connectors, but the "industry" (cheap Chinese knock-off factories), doesn't want to pay most of the time as it just adds a item to their list of production costs.  

That's why most of them are total shite.  Not because Apple doesn't want to licence them and thereby ensure a certain quality level, but because no one wants to pay for licensing anymore (now that the manufacture of most tech devices has moved to China).  Most third party cables you see in stores are technically illegal copies for this reason.

This is also part of the reason why there are very few "Airplay" speakers and the market is flooded with inferior "Bluetooth" speakers instead (the other reason being a misguided, dumbass attempt to be "Android compatible")

• Reply 13 of 56

Quote:

There are some bad 3rd party ones, but I have a ton of really great 3rd party 30-pin cables.  I usually buy them for wanting much longer lengths, but sometimes it's a matter of having really short lengths, or different colors, or multi-headed ends.

I really hope Apple is liberal with their licensing on the new connector and wish they would open up on the MagSafe... especially when it comes to external batteries.

• Reply 14 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will be the only initial vendor to offer adapters and cables for its new 9-pin iPhone dock connector, with the new adapter costing around $10 and USB cables for $19, according to a new report.

We'll see if Monster Cable tries to cash in on iPhone 5 with their usual $100 price for any cable with a brand new connector type.

• Reply 15 of 56

oh great ... more alarmism from soccer mom Horowitz over at iLounge. 

His credibility is less than zero when it comes to Apple. Stick to reviewing iPod screen covers.

• Reply 16 of 56

Does the pictured design strike anyone else as flawed (if it isn't fake)? Exposed contacts would have poor durability and would increase the risk of static discharge from someone's hand into a computer's USB port, no?  Whatever happened to the industry-wide agreement (following the EU's 2009 Common External Power Supply initiative) to adopt Micro USB-B connectors for new mobile devices?  Wasn't Apple one of the original signatories to the MoU? Based on Micro USB's thin profile, what possible reason is there NOT to implement a Micro USB-B 3.0 receptacle on the upcoming iPhone besides a misguided desire to control the third-party accessory market using proprietary-connector patents as a cudgel?  

• Reply 17 of 56
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

I sure hope they have a 9-pin to 30-pin adapter, or else this will be useless in my car, especially if they use this new 9-pin in future iPods as well.  I have one of those VW proprietary plugs that connects via 30-pin connector.  And I'm pretty sure they won't be making any adapters anytime soon.  Not to mention in my car stereo (the touch-screen one 2012 model year) the BT audio feature only allows to view the song, play/pause, forward/next.  The proprietary 30-pin jack handles all the on-board menu functions.

• Reply 18 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bakamono View Post

Does the pictured design strike anyone else as flawed (if it isn't fake)? Exposed contacts would have poor durability and would increase the risk of static discharge from someone's hand into a computer's USB port, no?  

This is actually a good point. Exposed contacts could even create a short - possibly allowing up to 500mA (1A? 2.1A?) at 5V...

• Reply 19 of 56

Quote:

In most cases I would agree with you, but...it's a cable.  I'm not paying Apple $19 for a 3ft or 6ft cable or whatever it is.  Give me a cheapy one for $5 all day long.

• Reply 20 of 56
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

I wouldn't mind this. So many people that I know who have problems with their iPhones are form using shitty 3rd party connectors that don't work well.