New photos of alleged next-gen iPhone show off 'uni-body' design's thinness

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With the next-generation iPhone rumor mill in full swing following Apple's Tuesday special event invitation send-out, new photos have surfaced comparing the thickness of the purported handset with the current generation iPhone 4S.

One day following its publication of an allegedly leaked "iPhone 5" battery, repair site iResQ on Wednesday posted side-by-side comparison shots of the purported next-generation device and the iPhone 4S, illustrating a notable slimming down for the new handset.

If the set of images showing what is claimed to be a "fully assembled" iPhone 5 are accurate, the new device will be somewhat thinner than the existing iPhone 4S, saving much of the space by eschewing the "glass sandwich" design for a "uni-body" chassis solution. While it appears that Apple was only able to shave a couple millimeters off the supposed handset, the change is impressive given the already cramped internal design seen in the company's current model.

Bottom View
Source: iResQ

It appears that the metal portion of the new device is a bit larger than its predecessor, however the expected in-cell display makes up for the size increase by being snugly integrated into the phone's casing, resulting in an overall slimmer profile.

Side View

Apple is widely thought to be moving to a larger 4-inch screen, meaning the chassis should have a bit more wiggle room in terms of internal volume. The display, along with advanced wireless communications chips, will require a larger battery, possibly prompting engineers to reshuffle the component layout.

Along with the profile images, the site provided a side-by-side view of the two handsets' front faces. In comparison to the iPhone 4S, the sixth-generation iPhone is taller, however bezel, home button and speaker proportions seem to be identical.

Front Side-by-side

Previous reports point to a slightly revamped logic board with possible space-saving nano-SIM card tray, a relocated headphone jack, proximity sensor and front-facing camera, as well as a number of flex cable redesigns.

Apple sent out media invitations on Tuesday reading "It's almost here," implying the imminent debut of the new iPhone. The special event is set take place on Sept. 12 at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern and AppleInsider will be providing full live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 117

Consumers are supposed to get excited over this?

• Reply 2 of 117
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With the next-generation iPhone rumor mill in full swing following Apple's Tuesday special event invitation send-out, new photos have surfaced comparing the thickness of the purported handset with the current generation iPhone 4S.

It's only a millimetre.  Nothing to get excited about. 

• Reply 3 of 117

My fingers are still crossed that there is going to a bigger screen iPhone - cuuuuumon Apple!  

• Reply 4 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

How much different in design is the 4S from the original iPhone?  They did a great job designing it originally, and are continually making incremental improvements.  The hardware will be beefed up as will the capabilities as they are every year.  I am sure the larger screen and the improved speed as well as LTE will be noticeable to many users, especially those who are upgrading from a 3GS or a 4.

• Reply 5 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Side View

Does NOT look like 7.6mm to me. More like from between 8 and 8.5.

• Reply 6 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post

My fingers are still crossed that there is going to a bigger screen iPhone - cuuuuumon Apple!  

No, bigger screen please within the same 4S case!

• Reply 7 of 117
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

It will be interesting to see what the reaction to this is. Times are changing, and I'm not sure if Apple can afford to take it easy anymore. 

• Reply 8 of 117
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Yes. Its pure awesomeness in a very small package. You really have to wait until you hold it and use it. Then when you buy it you can buy a go-faster case for it and some go-faster stickies, if you like.

• Reply 9 of 117
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's only a millimetre.  Nothing to get excited about. 

A millimetre is significant. Wait until you get one. The excitement will be in you hand.

• Reply 10 of 117

There's a new video out with one of these turning on. Not the obviously fake iClarified video, it's a new one that is also obviously fake for the same reason*, which is why I won't bother embedding it.

*Unless Apple is using an AMOLED screen in this iPhone, the screen is going to get brighter when it turns on, not just the icons on it… 

• Reply 11 of 117

Quote:

Only the fanboys

• Reply 12 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

It will be interesting to see what the reaction to this is. Times are changing, and I'm not sure if Apple can afford to take it easy anymore. 

I am afraid that the infinit stream of money set Apple to rest on their laurels. It's been a couple of lazy years and looks like they are going to do it for a couple more.

• Reply 13 of 117

I think the taller form factor makes sense - from a personal standpoint that I have a tall face and when talking on the phone directly, it will "fit" me better.  Hopefully the new screen will help reduce battery usage more than what the LTE radios will demand extra so that we get a real day's use out of the new phone.  Traveling last week, I ended the day, barely, with 2-3% left on my 4S and quite clearly was limiting my use as the battery drained.  I'm ok just making it through the day, but when I find myself turning off my phone after 9 hours working, just so I know I can save the little bit of battery left for an emergency, it's not working the way it should.

• Reply 14 of 117

This design is crap. It's basically a 4S S with pretty much the same thickness of body - it's just the thinner glass that is different - and that'll shatter more easily if there is only one layer. Then you've got those untidy holes all over the place - Steve Jobs would never have allowed a product like that to be released, it offends anyone with any artistic sensibilities. They aren't uniform, nor are they symmetrical. Was Jony Ive on leave when they thought this Frankenstein up? I really, really wanted to replace my tired old 3G iPhone this year, it's about 4 years old now and I really don't want a Samesung or a Notia...

• Reply 15 of 117

Can't wait to see its radio-less and even thinner brother, the iPod touch.  Mine is in dire need of replacement.

• Reply 16 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Its a big meh from me, but lets see.

• Reply 17 of 117

Part of the decreased thickness might be due to replacing the glass back with Al.

To answer skeptics who poo-poo what they perceive as incremental change in design, consider this - how much has the overall shape of the Porsche 911 (feel free to replace with your fav luxury sports car) changed overall? If you're observant, you'd have noticed subtle changes every few years representing advances in headlights, metal fabrication technique, etc. All the while, the engine improved much more dramatically but also imperceptibly to those not able to drive one.

The point is that when you have developed a classic design, you evolve it deliberately and not just for the sake of change.

• Reply 18 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    shidell wrote: »
    The biggest YoY change the iPhone has ever seen and it's not exciting¡

jason98 wrote: »
    No, bigger screen please within the same 4S case!
    No way! We had 2 years of that. Now it's time for this design.
  • Reply 19 of 117
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    paxman wrote: »
    A millimetre is significant. Wait until you get one. The excitement will be in you hand.

Is that what they call it these days?
  • Reply 20 of 117
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    paxman wrote: »
    The excitement will be in you hand.

Will I nap afterwards?

edit: Pipped by JeffDM.