New photos of alleged next-gen iPhone show off 'uni-body' design's thinness

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117

Im afraid this is going to be a major dissapointment.  I was expecting a more radical design change from the dated look thats been around so long.   If IO6 represents the sw improvements, this is more like a 4Sb  than a ver 5.

• Reply 62 of 117
    Goddamn, where can I buy one of these alleged iPhone 5 shells? It's like the suppliers sprung a leak, and it's gushing parts.
  • Reply 63 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

It lets them make the battery taller, almost to the very top of the phone. It also places the jack at the bottom of the phone, near the new plug, which will come in handy with the 30-pin accessory adaptor (both from an electronic and structural standpoint). 

Its so you will buy all new accessories.  The dozens of existing docks will block the new headphone jack; so you just go buy all new docs or a bunch of flimsy dongels.

• Reply 64 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Makes sense to me.  With today's iPhone if you want to hear it ring your best bet is to shove it top-first into your pants or jacket pocket, but if you want to use headphones you have to flip it so the top is pointing up.

With this iPhone you'll use the same orientation regardless of whether you're using headphones or not.

Another reason: There are no gaping holes at the top. This means if there is some rain while you're talking or looking at the screen, there's less chance of water getting in.

I haven't yet heard any reason to have the headphone plug at the top. The only reason it was there on previous iphones is because there wasn't room on the bottom.

• Reply 65 of 117
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinneal View Post

why does everyone expect/want a radical redesign every year, it makes no sense to redesign it just for the sake of it and to make it seem like its something different.

If apple feel they got the design right, then whats the point in them changing it?

It's because there are idiots out there who think that just because a new model comes out every year, they have to upgrade, and if they have to upgrade, they want something completely different.     Do these same people buy a new car every year?    I think there needs to be a new study of anal-compulsive behavior in the U.S. because it seems to be epidemic.   On the other hand, all these people replacing their phones every year is what is keeping Apple stock at near record levels.   

I'm still using my iPhone 3G.    I probably will finally upgrade to this phone, whatever it is.      

• Reply 66 of 117

The trolls are out. You can smell their fear.

• Reply 67 of 117
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    when the original iPhone came out people said it was doomed, then the 2nd came out and it wasn't a big improvement, then the 3rd and the app store.. then the 3Gs was a idiotic addition of an "s".. and so came the 4th with the unibody design but was sick with "antennagate" and so te 4s came to the rescue and "crap" everybody was expecting the 5 but what can you do!

so here we are all over again going crazy about a phone that haven't been released yet but we already find flaws and crap all over it..

and still we're all going to buy it!

(solipsismx I dare you reply this post)

=P

post it from my iPhone 4s
  • Reply 68 of 117

Originally Posted by davestall View Post

Im afraid this is going to be a major dissapointment.  I was expecting a more radical design change from the dated look thats been around so long.   If IO6 represents the sw improvements, this is more like a 4Sb  than a ver 5.

It's astonishing just how completely stupid and uninformed that sounds.

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

The trolls are out. You can smell their fear.

Indeed. As seen above, they're pathetically rehashing LAST YEAR'S arguments, even, because they literally have nothing else to say. And yet we let them. We let them.

• Reply 69 of 117
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Part of the decreased thickness might be due to replacing the glass back with Al.

To answer skeptics who poo-poo what they perceive as incremental change in design, consider this - how much has the overall shape of the Porsche 911 (feel free to replace with your fav luxury sports car) changed overall? If you're observant, you'd have noticed subtle changes every few years representing advances in headlights, metal fabrication technique, etc. All the while, the engine improved much more dramatically but also imperceptibly to those not able to drive one.

The point is that when you have developed a classic design, you evolve it deliberately and not just for the sake of change.

My fav luxury sports car. Change is good.

And 911 sales are tanking http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/01/cayenne-aside-are-porsche-sales-dropping.html

• Reply 70 of 117

I remember that the original iphone was described as a design that followed the "golden ratio" a ratio of measurements evident throughout nature and in which we can perceive a lot of natural beauty.

There is something about the new iphones design that just puts me off - it's not a conscious thought I can articulate, just a vague unease that the measurements seem out... perhaps because they have abandoned the golden ratio...

• Reply 71 of 117

Would rather see the same size as the 4S and have a built in finger print scanner.

• Reply 72 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Part of the decreased thickness might be due to replacing the glass back with Al.

To answer skeptics who poo-poo what they perceive as incremental change in design, consider this - how much has the overall shape of the Porsche 911 (feel free to replace with your fav luxury sports car) changed overall? If you're observant, you'd have noticed subtle changes every few years representing advances in headlights, metal fabrication technique, etc. All the while, the engine improved much more dramatically but also imperceptibly to those not able to drive one.

The point is that when you have developed a classic design, you evolve it deliberately and not just for the sake of change.

In total agreement.  The new design is elegant, functional and very "Jobsian."

• Reply 73 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

It's because there are idiots out there who think that just because a new model comes out every year, they have to upgrade, and if they have to upgrade, they want something completely different.     Do these same people buy a new car every year?    I think there needs to be a new study of anal-compulsive behavior in the U.S. because it seems to be epidemic.   On the other hand, all these people replacing their phones every year is what is keeping Apple stock at near record levels.   

I'm still using my iPhone 3G.    I probably will finally upgrade to this phone, whatever it is.      

Most plans allow for subsidized upgrade every 24 months.  At $199, an upgraded iPhone will add $8.30/month to your cost.  With the average cell bill at $100/month, why not have the latest and best tool on your hip?  There is a huge amount of pent-up demand from iPhone4 owners who have skipped the 4S and are now upgrade eligible for the "5."

• Reply 74 of 117

One of the things I noticed about this photo compared to previous ones posted: the metal is silver colored on both the black and white versions. Earlier photos show the black iPhone with a darker gunmetal grey/black color. I hope that is the model that Apple releases.

• Reply 75 of 117

I have to admit that I'm not overly excited about this phone.  I have the 4S, and the screen isn't going to be improved by a little bit more length.  Now if they told me that phone calls (what the device is, technically) sounded dramatically better (calls haven't improved as far as audio quality since the first iPhone from my daily-use, practical opinion), I'd be very interested in getting one.  I use the iPhone as a phone more than a data device.  I live in the Seattle area where we have 4G service.  Why do calls still sound horrible with cut outs, fade outs, and just general poor call quality?  Just once I'd like to receive a call and have it sound as crystal clear as a land line.  That's one thing I think Apple needs to put more thought toward.  The calls themselves must sound better, even if they have to use some of that data bandwidth I pay so much for, to improve the actual calls.  Maybe they'll improve things by the time the 5S comes out.

• Reply 76 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's astonishing just how completely stupid and uninformed that sounds.

Indeed. As seen above, they're pathetically rehashing LAST YEAR'S arguments, even, because they literally have nothing else to say. And yet we let them. We let them.

We let them because in the end they're toothless and harmless.

• Reply 77 of 117
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

Now if they told me that phone calls (what the device is, technically) sounded dramatically better (calls haven't improved as far as audio quality since the first iPhone from my daily-use,

So, I guess the addition of a second noise cancelling microphone with the 4, was a total waste of time then?

• Reply 78 of 117
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Consumers are supposed to get excited over this?

You are still posting here?

• Reply 79 of 117
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

We let them because in the end they're toothless and harmless.

I wonder what this years "antennagate" will be?

Yellow screens, hot spots, exploding batteries, some other trivial issue to pick up and run with as if the world is ending.

Maybe someone should run a book.

• Reply 80 of 117

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I wonder what this years "antennagate" will be?

"The top and bottom of my screen are broken. Whenever I open an app, they're always black! Nuh uh, I know what I'm talking about! I'm not like those guys that think it has two speakers!"