Parallels 8 now available with 30% faster 3D graphics, 25% faster Windows startup

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    georgep wrote: »
    Let's get this right.  I use Parallels 7 on a Mac with Mountain Lion very successfully.  You do not have to upgrade.  I did pay for the upgrade to Parallels 8 and found it to be noticeably faster than 7, so I will keep it and upgrade other machines.  The speed upgrades from year to year vary in their importance, but I find 8 to be significantly faster than 7.

I have used Parallels and VMware as long as each became available for the Mac, but found that Parallels to be consistently faster, so I have left VMware behind.  From time to time, there have been bugs in new versions of Parallels and they are not at all responsive to emails, but they have always brought out updates correcting the problem.  I have heard that Parallels is less stable than VMware, but that has never been my experience.  Virtualbox works fine, but is not as fast as Parallels, so I am willing to pay the money. 

I agree that Parallels price for upgrades is a bit high, but you can live without the upgrades quite well.  Same goes for Mac OS upgrades.  If you want the speed, you pay the price.

And, in addition, VMWare as much more limited functionality which can easily cost you enough to pay for the Parallels upgrade. You can't use a Boot Camp disk with VMWare, so if you need both Boot Camp and a virtual machine, you'd need two Windows licenses and two installations (which can use a significant portion of your drive space if you're using SSD.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And, in addition, VMWare as much more limited functionality which can easily cost you enough to pay for the Parallels upgrade. You can't use a Boot Camp disk with VMWare, so if you need both Boot Camp and a virtual machine, you'd need two Windows licenses and two installations (which can use a significant portion of your drive space if you're using SSD.

You can use a Boot Camp disk with VMware Fusion. Not sure why you would need two installations. You just run the Boot Camp disk from within Fusion. I think you do need two licenses, one for Boot Camp and one for VMware Fusion though.

• Reply 23 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbobbob View Post

i had parallels 6, which couldn't run once I upgraded to ML. contacted CS and they directed me to upgrade to P7 for USD 40 3 months ago. I'm glad I didn't and no way am I gonna get parallels 8

So then how will you use Windows in ML?

• Reply 24 of 28
    I got the new version because i upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion and Parallels 6 will not work with Mountain Lion. It does appear that one of my Windows program that ran slower in Parallels 6 is running faster in 8. Just wish that I was not forced to pay $50 but this is partially due to the fact that Mountain Lion removed support for some programs that I either needed to replace or upgrade.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Parallels IS A RIP OFF!!!! I got it back 3 years ago and have paid enough in upgrades to purchase a cheep windows machine. I upgraded to Mountain Lion and guess who was waiting to ROB me jQuery18105820159275342041_1347354338717? Parallels people and Mac Keeper were in on the deal also.. What gives 20$ for Mountain lion and 49$ for parallels upgrade and 20$ for mac keeper...

I think I should have waited to upgrade or just forgot about it.. Wish someone told me about this robbery before I purchased either of the above softrobbery programs.

Stay AWAY......
  • Reply 26 of 28
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xzanthan View Post

Parallels IS A RIP OFF!!!! I got it back 3 years ago and have paid enough in upgrades to purchase a cheep windows machine. I upgraded to Mountain Lion and guess who was waiting to ROB me jQuery18105820159275342041_1347354338717? Parallels people and Mac Keeper were in on the deal also.. What gives 20$ for Mountain lion and 49$ for parallels upgrade and 20$ for mac keeper...

I think I should have waited to upgrade or just forgot about it.. Wish someone told me about this robbery before I purchased either of the above softrobbery programs.

Stay AWAY......

Two words: VMWare Fusion.

• Reply 27 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    john.b wrote: »
    Two words: VMWare Fusion.

Given VMWare claims Fusion can import a Parallels VM, I might try that if I run into problems.
  • Reply 28 of 28

I just upgraded from Parallels 7 to Parallels 8 after constant "nagging" from Paralles and reading about the speed improvement. I am very disappointed, it is much slower for me (I use it mostly to run Internet Explorer 8). I wish I could go back to version 7 which was working perfectly for me. I use a 2011 Macbook Air with Lion. As long as things are working for you, don't upgrade, you might regret it as I do.