Samsung being investigated in South Korea following Apple antitrust allegations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Korea Fair Trade Commission on Thursday said regulators are investigating Apple's formal antitrust complaints against Samsung, which allege the South Korean company is abusing its wireless technology patents to gain an unfair advantage in the mobile industry.

The probe is yet another facet of the two companies' ongoing patent dispute that has spilled into 10 countries, and comes less than two weeks after the jury in a landmark U.S. case found Samsung responsible for over $1 billion in damages for violating Apple's design and utility patents.

According to an unnamed FTC official, the body is conducting the investigation after Apple filed a set of complaints earlier this year, asserting the Korean electronics giant was leveraging its dominant portfolio of wireless technology to compete unfairly against rivals in the lucrative mobile market, reports Reuters.

Samsung is also the target of a similar probe being conducted by the European Commission, the European Union's competition watchdog, to determine whether the company's use of declared standards-essential FRAND patents in high profile suits violates EU antitrust laws. In that case, Samsung promised to license certain essential 3G patents to the European Telecommunications Standards Institute, and the company contends it has diligently met its FRAND obligations.

The two rival companies are also set to begin a number of patent trials and hearings in Germany, with Apple asserting a variety of Samsung devices infringed on design and software patents.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    South Korea is in bed with Samsung so I doubt seriously anything will come of this.
  • Reply 2 of 21

Samsung Senior is investigating Samsung Junior?  I think we already know what the Korean "Fair Trade" Commission will say.

• Reply 3 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

but..but... only Apple abuses patents.  Not scamsu... uhm... Samsung!  /s

• Reply 4 of 21

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Goophone lawsuit. Only in China could you patent a total rip-off

• Reply 5 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoadm View Post

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Goophone lawsuit. Only in China could you patent a total rip-off

Yeah, I read that article too.  Freakin unbelievable.  Those guys should be ashamed of themselves.  I know the Chinese justice system is a joke, but even I have to believe that if these a$$hats try suing Apple on this, the judge smacks a sledgehammer right on their foreheads.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/chinese-knock-off-maker-ready-to-sue-over-iphone-5-design

http://www.gizchina.com/2012/09/04/chinese-phone-maker-goophone-i5-might-have-blocked-iphone-5-sales-in-china/

And here's GooPhone's official website.  Looks like they lifted video of the iPhone manufacturing and somehow plastered the Android logo on it?

http://shop.goophone.hk

• Reply 6 of 21
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

this investigation seems legit

• Reply 7 of 21

Sounds like sour grapes from Apple to me, given the fact that they have to use FRAND technology to get their wireless tech.  Of course Apple doesn't like paying for patents they need so ignore it, let them sue you and let a jury that doesn't have a clue settle it in your favor.

As for it not going anywhere, if its a legit complaint then it will, if not it won't.

• Reply 8 of 21

I think this video does a good job of summarizing Apple's feelings towards patents and Samsung: 

• Reply 9 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash3435 View Post

I think this video does a good job of summarizing Apple's feelings towards patents and Samsung

I think it actually summarizes your attempt at spamming.

• Reply 10 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

South Korea is in bed with Samsung so I doubt seriously anything will come of this.

Samsung produces about 1/5th of South Korea's total exports.  In bed might be putting it lightly.

• Reply 11 of 21
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

If anything this investigation will find in complete favor of Samsung and try and set precedent against what happened in the US trial. I don't like it but I think thats what we will see.

• Reply 12 of 21

Sorry - I posted the wrong link. This is the one I wanted to post: 

• Reply 13 of 21

Originally Posted by flash3435 View Post

Sorry - I posted the wrong link. This is the one I wanted to post: 

Why do I now want to see Jonathan Ive doing that very dance with that very expression?

• Reply 14 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

yep, unlike Apple's hometown court in San Jose.  [sarcasm]

• Reply 15 of 21

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

yep, unlike Apple's hometown court in San Jose.  [sarcasm]

Apple, which makes up a full… 

Ugh, it's not even worth it. Even guests reading the forum for the first time know you're just making up arguments…

• Reply 16 of 21
    So:
    Samsung is abusing its wireless technology patents to gain an unfair advantage in the mobile industry?

The same as Apple is abusing the "round corners" design???

Hm thing or two t think about. LOL

• Reply 17 of 21

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Hm thing or two t think about. LOL

Here's a thing or two to think about:

1. Go away if you refuse to partake in independent, creative thought.

2. What you have said is a lie. Please go find the truth before posting on that topic again.

3. You want to think long and hard about continuing to post, given your location.

• Reply 18 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Here's a thing or two to think about:

1. Go away if you refuse to partake in independent, creative thought.

2. What you have said is a lie. Please go find the truth before posting on that topic again.

3. You want to think long and hard about continuing to post, given your location.

1. I thought I was creative

2. So Sammy is not abusing its wireless technology?

3. Sorry for that. Location fixed

• Reply 19 of 21

Live by the sword, die by the sword.  Fact is, alot of wireless tech in general is/has been developed by Motorola, Nokia, and now Samsung.  Samsung invests heavily in wireless tech, flash memory, processor tech, display technology, etc... 

Apple would do much better to simply take the higher ground, cross-license patents (at a fair cost) beat Samsung on sales, and keep a decent relationship in the supply chain going.  The way Samsung is going, it might be worthwhile to ditch component sales to Apple (as their smartphone revenue is finally taking off); I don't think Apple would like to disrupt their supply chain. 

Another thing to take note of is that Apple's image has, for a long time, been based on being 'cool', and not behaving like IBM, Microsoft, and Oracle.  The more litigation they're involved in, the further it tarnishes their reputation, regardless of any notions of 'justice'. 

• Reply 20 of 21

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

1. I thought I was creative

Not even creatively wrong. Just wrong.